Uber Geek Alert: Kill Bill

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
I was wandering over to Apple's quicktime page just yesterday and found a trailer for a very interesting new movie. It's strangely titled "Kill Bill". My first impression was "oh great, another cheesy action film with bad jokes and even worse acting." I got that just from the title.

However, then I went and watched the actual trailer. Oh my gauds, was I ever wrong. Kill Bill looks like one of the better action films coming up this spring/summer. It has some good humor lightly splashed into the movie and lots of great kick butt and take names martial arts action, some awesome fight scenes and the main hero charecter is none other than Uma Thurmond. Another plus is that the movie is directed by Quentin Tarantino. That's two big plusses in the same movie! :D

Not only is she packing an attitude and a great body, but she's also packing a sweet looking ninja sword and some even better looking moves. Expect a lot of high flying, gravity defying, reality splitting martial arts action in this movie. Also expect to be thuroughly entertained. Because if the movie is only half what the trailer shows, it's going to make Spiderman look weak in comparison. (no offence to spiderman, he kicks great butt too.)

You can go to the movies Trailer page via this link here. Personally, I think this will be a great movie to watch.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Tarantino did bring a cleaned-up and re-subtitled edition of the great Iron Monkey to the US, so he definitely has good taste in martial arts films. So I have high hopes for his own attempt at making one.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Tarantino did bring a cleaned-up and re-subtitled edition of the great Iron Monkey to the US, so he definitely has good taste in martial arts films. So I have high hopes for his own attempt at making one.

That was the worst movie evar.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: RGN
No, just a type of movie that didn't fit your narrow taste in films. Iron Monkey isn't the best Hong Kong martial arts epic ever made, but it's quite good for the genre.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
i wasnt too impressed with the teaser trailer. didnt quite grasp my attention quite like other quentin tarantino flicks. and keep i mind i even enjoyed 'from dusk till dawn' (even though he didnt direct, produced and acted) but, iunno, uma as a sword wielding bad-ass? gataca was a good role for her. not this.

you can also read my kill bill, stereotyped actor diatribe here: blah

quentin does make good entertaining movies, but this movie kinda scares me in that it wont be in the caliber of his past outings.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
No, just a type of movie that didn't fit your narrow taste in films. Iron Monkey isn't the best Hong Kong martial arts epic ever made, but it's quite good for the genre.

Yes, damn us narrow minded fools who don't jump on the "Oh, it's imported from Asia, therefore it must be great! Let's go watch Cowboy Bebop and old Jackie Chan movies" bandwagon.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Why call my film tastes narrow? You have _no_ clue. I thought it was poorly done.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
notfred, I like Cowboy Bebop... :D

That's fine, as long as you like it because you actually like it, and not because it's Japanese Anime.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

Yes, damn us narrow minded fools who don't jump on the "Oh, it's imported from Asia, therefore it must be great! Let's go watch Cowboy Bebop and old Jackie Chan movies" bandwagon.
Well damn you if you say "Cowboy Bebop is crap" just because you don't like anime in general.

I don't drink wine, but I don't then go around saying "Chateau Souverain's Chardonnay tastes like cat piss."

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
notfred, I like Cowboy Bebop... :D

That's fine, as long as you like it because you actually like it, and not because it's Japanese Anime.

Right. My entertainment world doesn't revolve around a particular genera. Hence, I can say I thought Iron Monkey sucked.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

Well damn you if you say "Cowboy Bebop is crap" just because you don't like anime in general.

I don't drink wine, but I don't then go around saying "Chateau Souverain's Chardonnay tastes like cat piss."

I have never seen cowboy bebop, I have no idea if it's good or not. It was jsut the first thing I thought of as an example.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Why call my film tastes narrow? You have _no_ clue. I thought it was poorly done.
How so? Replying with only "worst movie evar" is obvious overstatement given the existence of both Pluto Nash and almost every movie shown on "Kung Fu Theater" and made you appear at least ignorant of the genre.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000

Actually this is almost what notfred pointed out. He just used the positive.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
How so? Replying with only "worst movie evar" is obvious overstatement given the existence of both Pluto Nash and almost every movie shown on "Kung Fu Theater" and made you appear at least ignorant of the genre.

Am I to take this statement as: "yeah, it was crap, but all the other Kung Fu theater movies are worse so I'm going to defend it to my dying breath" ? :D

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Right. My entertainment world doesn't revolve around a particular genera. Hence, I can say I thought Iron Monkey sucked.
OK, I'll admit calling your tastes narrow was unkind and an overstatement. But out of curiousity are there any Hong Kong martial arts movies that you do like, or is it possible that that form of film just doesn't appeal to you?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Am I to take this statement as: "yeah, it was crap, but all the other Kung Fu theater movies are worse so I'm going to defend it to my dying breath" ? :D
LOL, no I was just implying that genre films often are best judged in comparison with other films within that genre. Most genres have conventions that can make a film seem silly or stupid if you aren't aware of them, like Westerns where a six-shooter can magically fire eight times :)

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

OK, I'll admit calling your tastes narrow was unkind and an overstatement. But out of curiousity are there any Hong Kong martial arts movies that you do like, or is it possible that that form of film just doesn't appeal to you?

i cant believe you are defending iron monkey soo much, it wasnt that good.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000

I've watched my fair share of kung fu movies... I get a kick out of the early Jackie Chan stuff. Then there is Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, John Liu, etc. There is some really campy stuff out there, but it doesn't have to contain the completely aweful acting and story line that Iron Monkey did.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh

i cant believe you are defending iron monkey soo much, it wasnt that good.
I just get annoyed when people (for example) criticize Crouching Tiger for the flying (it's wuxia dagnabbit!) or appear to be saying a movie is crap just because it's different from the styles of movies that they're familiar with.

And yes, Fist of Legend was better and Heroic Trio was more fun, but Iron Monkey was good.

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
well, if you are comparing it to spiderman, then, i think i won't bother, as spiderman was, in reality, weak....

Atvar

Jan 8, 2002
Teaser trailer is awesome. Does anyone know what song is playing during it. I love it.

Atvar