U.S. School District to Microchip Students

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse
The schools have no right - NONE - to do the same. I'd go through the damn roof if they ever tried this nonsense with my kids.

The issue here isn't just the children's' own privacy -- I'm more concerned about the lack of ethical oversight, and the school overstepping its authority.

School is owned by the government - and your children are government property. Karl Marx gave them the idea of ownership, and Americans implemented it.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
These kinds of things always start with something that on the face of it doesn't seem completely unreasonable, but there is just too much potential for this stuff to get misused / abused in the future, so unless someone can demonstrate a very good clear need for it, I'm opposed.

Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Ok....this is really freaky. I am in 100% agreement with both palehorse and PokerGuy.
<insert hypnosis voice> Come over to the dark side... you know you want to... :p

I know that it is slippery slope-ish and tin foil hattery....but I can hear the argument being made already by the voices in my head role playing the scenario:

SA (School admin): You know, we really appreciate that your company gave us these for free to test them out, but they just aren't working as planned
Rep: What's the problem?
SA: Well, the students are just leaving their bookbags in their lockers and so they don't really tell us anything other than where the backback is.
Rep: We've thought of that also and have a proposal for you to consider.
SA: What kind of proposal?
Rep: Well, what would you say to "vaccinating" students for free?
SA: But the students have to be vaccinated before being allowed into school.
Rep: But none of them have received THIS vaccine before.
SA: What vaccine is that?
Rep: The one with our chip included. We'll just include it with a flu vaccine and give it to the district at no cost so you don't have to worry about that pesky ethics committee.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
As a parent, I plan to use GPS devices to track my children until they're of a certain age; but, that's MY FUCKING RIGHT AND CHOICE AS THEIR PARENT.

The schools have no right - NONE - to do the same. I'd go through the damn roof if they ever tried this nonsense with my kids.

The issue here isn't just the children's' own privacy -- I'm more concerned about the lack of ethical oversight, and the school overstepping its authority.

About sums it up for me too.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
My question, and what was rather amazingly absent from the article, is what is the point?

To make sure your kid really gets on the bus? I have no idea, and if I were a student that little fucking chip would find itself into my principle's car, my teacher's car, in a microwave, whatever.

If I were a parent, I'd remove it ASAP.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
And yet many of you will be equally outraged if the school doesn't make sure their kids get on and off the schoolbus.

This isn't a GPS tracking device in the bookbag. Students can't be tracked with it outside of school, except when entering and leaving a school bus.

The chip vaccination scenario: you might as well substitute pain implants or mind-control drugs, they're both equally plausible.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
And yet many of you will be equally outraged if the school doesn't make sure their kids get on and off the schoolbus.

This isn't a GPS tracking device in the bookbag. Students can't be tracked with it outside of school, except when entering and leaving a school bus.

The chip vaccination scenario: you might as well substitute pain implants or mind-control drugs, they're both equally plausible.

I don't think you understand. They are going nuts over trying to solve a problem which really doesn't need to be solved. It's all about reacting to scare tactics and bringing us one step closer to being like the UK. Children have been getting on and off school buses for god knows how long now. Likewise, they have been playing hooky since the beginning of time too. Also, we have never been in a time where kidnapping was not a concern and while it may be worse now it is not THAT much worse. Not to the point of needing this crap in the kid's book bags.

Allow me to quote Eisenhower:

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
~Dwight D. Eisenhower

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Brick in schoolbag....schoolbag in river/lake/pond/or sewer.
OK.. that's funny.. for a minute... now, imagine the emergency response when the school principal thinks the kid drowned: police, ambulances, firetrucks, boats, scuba gear, helicopters, depth finders, dogs... etc etc... meanwhile, the kid is standing off in the treeline laughing his f'n ass off, or he's at the mall playing video games.

now, who would pay for all of that? the kid? the parents? The school district!?

This could only lead to problems... after all, the only way to prevent such shenanigans would be to somehow attach the kid to the chip... :Q

Which brings up the other point which is kids are idiots at times and will leave their bookbags at their friends house, the bus, in their school locker, in mom's car, at home, let a friend us it, etc, etc, etc.

I can just imagine the time and money spent on tracking lost bookbags.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Here we go. When they start doing this with our children while they are in school, they will expect things like this when they are an adult. It's called brain washing... Thats why these little "pilot" programs don't start with adults.

While its not "big brother is watching" its laying the groundwork by making it sound "normal", and "needed." Now these kids who experience this will think its ok because nothing happened to them while having these chips in their bags. So they are more likely to tolerate it as an adult. Keep doing this for 50 years and everybody even adults will have microchips.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
umm, kids have managed to find their way on and off schoolbuses for decades... even *gasp* without RFID chips! Imagine that...

So, if your kid skips school, then there is a parenting problem that the school isn't responsible for correcting. It woiuld then become the parents' decision to implement a tracking system of some sort. One that I have seen work is the 'ole "watch them get on the bus system"... or maybe the "drop them off at school system"...

Not enough time? Too inconvenient? Too lazy?

TOO FUCKING BAD!

So they say... at first... but then Company X shows them the REALLY cool features of the chips...

It's entirely plausible to sell such a ridiculous product to school systems, like this one, that are already well on their way to 1984.

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
I'm glad I'm not the only one against this. I was starting to get discouraged by the posters who thought this was a good idea.

Great Eisenhower quote, too.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I can't wait till the pleasure centers of the brain are stimulated by chips in students that activate when they learn. Rap lyrics will dramatically improve among other things.