U.S. Revolution Thread:10-24-06 Growing Income Vs Expense Gap

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
There are many factors driving America towards either a full scale Revolution and/or Civil War.

Will add to this thread as the many issues perculate.

Many are intertwined:

Loss of Freedom
Loss of free speech
Religion
Abortion
Gay & Lesbian
Political party battles
Taxes
Censorship
Internet access
Right to bear arms
Loss of Border Control

=================================================
Taxes

3-8-2006 High property taxes driving a new revolt

In Orford, N.H., a tin-roofed hunting cabin worth $10,000 was recently assessed at $200,000, just for its mountain view. Taxes on the cabin and its outhouse skyrocketed.

Around Lake Tahoe, along the California-Nevada border, property taxes have shot up 135 percent in the past four years.

Residents of Beaufort, S.C., pay $17 million more in property taxes today than in 2000.

Welcome to the flip side of the real estate boom. Years of rising home values have boosted property taxes steadily. Now, homeowners across the United States are fighting back.

This year, legislative proposals, citizen initiatives, and lawsuits are on the agenda in at least 20 states.

These new efforts reflect both residents' distrust of how their property tax dollars are being spent and concerns that rising assessments are driving working-class people out of popular towns and cities.

Revolt is in full swing in Incline Village, Nev., on the shores of Lake Tahoe.

There, Maryanne Ingemanson's tax bill is now $80,000 a year

Should you get taxed for a view?
Assessments can vary according to a community's affluence and aesthetics, such as views of mountains or lakes. Tom Thomson, leader of the "Ax the View Tax" movement in New Hampshire, objects to taxing people on intangible qualities such as a view. "It's another process of dipping into taxpayers' pockets without any legislative process, and that is taxation without representation," says Mr. Thomson, son of the late Gov. Meldrim Thomson Jr.

Tax revolt in the states
In the wake of the real estate boom, lawmakers in several states are pushing to keep property taxes from skyrocketing. Among the initiatives:

? Idaho: Lawmakers are mulling over eight bills limiting property taxes. One would revise the "homestead exemption," which now keeps the first $50,000 of a home's value off the tax rolls. The bill boosts that to $100,000.

? South Carolina: Having capped the rise in property tax assessments at 3 percent per year until a home is sold or improved, the legislature is now considering a rollback of property taxes, replacing them with a hike in the sales tax.

? Georgia: Many lawmakers are backing legislation that would put a similar 3 percent cap into the state constitution.

? Nevada: Protesters are gathering signatures for a citizen initiative that would require the state to refund taxpayers if state revenues rise faster than inflation. They also want to cap the growth in property tax bills at 1 percent per year.

? Connecticut: After an uproar over massive assessment hikes for lakefront properties around the state, state officials have ordered cities and towns that have seen property tax spikes to calibrate disputed assessments to "comparable" properties, based on records of recent sales.
======================================================
I've seen personally the rises in Taxes forcing people to sell their home for a loss and they are forced back to renting.

This is clearly against what America is supposed to be about.

Of course the rich would disagree.
=====================================================
I love this one:

Latest Republican State manuever to start Revolution II

5-17-2006 St Louis Missouri Town Denies Unmarried Couple Permit To Move Into Their House

BLACK JACK, Mo. - The city council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married.

Mayor Norman McCourt declined to be interviewed but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
lol.. revolution? civil war? a bit extreme there...

none of those issues that you list are anything new... most have been contraversial or somewhat divisive since the founding of our nation!

except perhaps "internet access" ... but how the heck is that a war-inspiring issue?! lol...

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
There will be no "revolution" or "civil war" anytime soon, and by that I mean hundreds of years...

Seriously, I would like to know what makes you think there will be a revolution. Care to explain what evidence you have that there will be a revolution, besides your own delusional thoughts?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
About time.

Talk about way too late after the horse has left the barn.

3-8-2006 Arizona Governor Orders Troops to Border

PHOENIX - Gov. Janet Napolitano on Wednesday ordered more National Guardsmen posted at the Mexican border to help stop illegal immigrants and curb related crimes.

The governor declared an immigration emergency last summer in Arizona's four border counties, citing security shortcomings by the federal government.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: palehorse74
lol.. revolution? civil war? a bit extreme there...

none of those issues that you list are anything new... most have been contraversial or somewhat divisive since the founding of our nation!

except perhaps "internet access" ... but how the heck is that a war-inspiring issue?! lol...

Dave's former legal problems have unfortunately turned him into a cynical and bitter individual. Whenever he posts you have to filter most of it out for the nonsense that it is......

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ntdz
There will be no "revolution" or "civil war" anytime soon, and by that I mean hundreds of years...

Seriously, I would like to know what makes you think there will be a revolution. Care to explain what evidence you have that there will be a revolution, besides your own delusional thoughts?

For hundreds of years? It seems like a bit of a stretch to say that with certainty. Heck, I can envision a civil war erupting over abortion and religious issues. It would start with the anti-abortionists and pro-abortionists segregating themselves into different states. How about a civil war involving the East vs. the West. It would start with the Mexican population increasing and reproducing in those states to the point where it overwhelmed the regular American population. After that, vocal Reconquistas convinces the populace that the American West should be reunited with Mexico.

Alternatively, we could end up with revolution if the middle class gets merged into the third world's underclass. However, that seems unlikely since most Americans are politically brain-dead and too busy popping happy pills to get angry enough to revolt. Besides, the media bends over backwards to convince Americans that the economy is just fine and that prosperity (and not lay offs and underemployment) is right around the corner. (What was it that Bush campaign worker said--unemployed and underemployed Americans should STFU and take Prozac?)

I don't see a civil war or revolution happening anytime in the near future, but it's difficult to say that it wouldn't happen over a period of a couple hundred years. Who knows, some other issue we haven't identified or considered could yet rear its head. Also, keep in mind that the U.S. is becoming increasingly ethnically balkanized because we're failing to assimilate the immigrant masses. Also, don't even think about mentioning those two words that you'll never hear the media or politicians mention: Peak Oil. I'm not sold on the notion that Peak Oil will occur or that it will be the economic appocalypse that the Peak Oil fearmongers say that it will be, but still, it makes some logical sense and it's a scary thought.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

For hundreds of years? It seems like a bit of a stretch to say that with certainty. Heck, I can envision a civil war erupting over abortion and religious issues. It would start with the anti-abortionists and pro-abortionists segregating themselves into different states. How about a civil war involving the East vs. the West. It would start with the Mexican population increasing and reproducing in those states to the point where it overwhelmed the regular American population. After that, vocal Reconquistas convinces the populace that the American West should be reunited with Mexico.

Alternatively, we could end up with revolution if the middle class gets merged into the third world's underclass. However, that seems unlikely since most Americans are politically brain-dead and too busy popping happy pills to get angry enough to revolt. Besides, the media bends over backwards to convince Americans that the economy is just fine and that prosperity (and not lay offs and underemployment) is right around the corner. (What was it that Bush campaign worker said--unemployed and underemployed Americans should STFU and take Prozac?)

I don't see a civil war or revolution happening anytime in the near future, but it's difficult to say that it wouldn't happen over a period of a couple hundred years. Who knows, some other issue we haven't identified or considered could yet rear its head. Also, keep in mind that the U.S. is becoming increasingly ethnically balkanized because we're failing to assimilate the immigrant masses. Also, don't even think about mentioning those two words that you'll never hear the media or politicians mention: Peak Oil. I'm not sold on the notion that Peak Oil will occur or that it will be the economic appocalypse that the Peak Oil fearmongers say that it will be, but still, it makes some logical sense and it's a scary thought.

Isn't that exactly what I said? You wrote a long responce just to agree with me in the end...?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Many are intertwined:
But none of the issues you mentioned are even remotely close to approaching the conditions that would prompt a Civil War, or even class war for that matter.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Tax cuts for the rich again:

5-9-2006 GOP Forges Deal on Investor Tax Cuts

WASHINGTON - Republicans in Congress reached agreement Tuesday on a $70 billion measure to extend tax breaks for investors.

The bill would hand President Bush one of his top tax priorities, a two-year extension of the reduced 15 percent tax rate for capital gains and dividends, currently set to expire at the end of 2008. Republicans credit the tax cuts, enacted in 2003, with boosting economic growth and creating many jobs.

Critics, including many Democrats, have attacked the tax rate reductions on dividends and corporate profits as being largely tilted to the wealthy and have argued that the provisions should not be extended at a time of large budget deficits and massive spending for the war in Iraq.

The main bill would allow wealthier people to transfer retirement savings into Roth IRAs, providing a shorter-term revenue boost that helped lawmakers fit more provisions within the bill's $70 billion cap. That's because money moved from traditional IRAs into Roth accounts is taxed immediately, instead of later, when taxpayers withdraw their invested money.

Opponents say the Roth plan would help the Treasury now but shortchange the government in future years because funds saved in a Roth IRA grow tax free.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Tax cuts for the rich again:

5-9-2006 GOP Forges Deal on Investor Tax Cuts

WASHINGTON - Republicans in Congress reached agreement Tuesday on a $70 billion measure to extend tax breaks for investors.

The bill would hand President Bush one of his top tax priorities, a two-year extension of the reduced 15 percent tax rate for capital gains and dividends, currently set to expire at the end of 2008. Republicans credit the tax cuts, enacted in 2003, with boosting economic growth and creating many jobs.

Critics, including many Democrats, have attacked the tax rate reductions on dividends and corporate profits as being largely tilted to the wealthy and have argued that the provisions should not be extended at a time of large budget deficits and massive spending for the war in Iraq.

The main bill would allow wealthier people to transfer retirement savings into Roth IRAs, providing a shorter-term revenue boost that helped lawmakers fit more provisions within the bill's $70 billion cap. That's because money moved from traditional IRAs into Roth accounts is taxed immediately, instead of later, when taxpayers withdraw their invested money.

Opponents say the Roth plan would help the Treasury now but shortchange the government in future years because funds saved in a Roth IRA grow tax free.

You better leave before the civil war starts... :roll:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I want to start a business and run it like the government. The bank can loan me $1M that I have no intention of paying back, and I'll pay my 10 workers each $50K a year. I'm sure my yearly revenue of $250K will cover that, as well as operating costs. The bank won't ever complain either that I'm only paying for the interest on the loan, but paying nothing against the principle. I'm sure everyone will be perfectly happy with that scenario.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

5-17-2006 St Louis Missouri Town Denies Unmarried Couple Permit To Move Into Their House

BLACK JACK, Mo. - The city council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married.

Mayor Norman McCourt declined to be interviewed but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7
I want to start a business and run it like the government. The bank can loan me $1M that I have no intention of paying back, and I'll pay my 10 workers each $50K a year. I'm sure my yearly revenue of $250K will cover that, as well as operating costs. The bank won't ever complain either that I'm only paying for the interest on the loan, but paying nothing against the principle. I'm sure everyone will be perfectly happy with that scenario.

You could do that if you wanted. You just need to find some people stupid enough to fund your losses. The US govt does the same when it sells bonds. The only legup the US govt has is it can also tax people or to put in terms of your business, force people to buy a product.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005

I'm sure the Resident Republicans will be in here defending this with their usual hypocracy - freedom for businesses to do whatever they want, but gawd forbid private citizens lead their own private lives.

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006

I saw this on television almost a month ago. They are looking to change the statute as it is obsolete and prejudice.

Nice sensationalism you got going on, though. I hear more fear mongering out of you than anybody in this administration.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jrenz

I saw this on television almost a month ago. They are looking to change the statute as it is obsolete and prejudice.

Nice sensationalism you got going on, though. I hear more fear mongering out of you than anybody in this administration.

If they are looking into changing it, why did they vote to not change it (rejecte)?

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: EatSpam

I'm sure the Resident Republicans will be in here defending this with their usual hypocracy - freedom for businesses to do whatever they want, but gawd forbid private citizens lead their own private lives.

Nah. Sucks for the kids to live with a pair of ugly dykes, but if they are biological children, guess that's their problem.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: zendari

Nah. Sucks for the kids to live with a pair of ugly dykes, but if they are biological children, guess that's their problem.

Just what part of unmarried couples = dykes? You're absolutely pathetic son!!! You deserve a miserable life. You really do.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005

who even cares anymore with dave

Jun 27, 2005

Who in their right mind would defend a law like that? I'm actually stunned that the measure to change the zoning rules failed. I can't even think of why you would have a zoning regulation that was so restrictive.

Lame, Republican bashing, troll post.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I think another poster mentioned that this kind of zoning is to prevent things like a "big party house full of college kids".

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: zendari

Just what part of unmarried couples = dykes? You're absolutely pathetic son!!! You deserve a miserable life. You really do.

Kind of odd for a mere "friendly" couple with kids from 1 or both people to live together.

But theres no reason for the law to prevent them to do what they want to do by their own means.