U.S. Orders 4-6 Day Pause in Iraq Advance (because of supply shortages) Dems this is your chance..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: SuperTool
This is what happens when you have a president who managed to turn pretty much everyone in the region and beyond against us, and who squandered the support of a global coalition against terrorism, and who could not even convince a fellow NATO ally, Turkey to allow us to start a northern front from their territory. This is one of the most dismal failures of international leadership that I have ever seen.
Name a worse one.

I can't find one in US history.

This Pause is a DISASTER. It strengthens our enemies and shows that we are VULNERABLE. :(

A "DISASTER"? That's a rather strong characterization, and I tend to think you're greatly overstating your point. War ebbs and flows; as we fight an enemy determined to kill us, the enemy attempts to come up with tactics that will work against us. US military pushes ahead, so they need to pause, reinforce, and shore up supply lines. That's not a "DISASTER", it's smart. A "DISASTER" would be if the Iraqis managed to cut off the supply line completely, leaving our forward troops vulnerable to counterattack. A "DISASTER" would be if the fedayeen released chemical weapons and gassed the citizens of Basrah. A "DISASTER" would be if the Iraqis manage to pull off a major terrorist attack on US soil in retaliation. A strategic pause is not a "DISASTER".

Agreed. A disaster is if Saudi Ariba and Iran invading Kuwait cutting US ground forces off. that's a disaster. You pause to consolidate gains, eliminate pockets of resistance, and give your troops a rest.

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer
Bleep - I am sorry you lost your son and I am grateful for your service. Moonbeam was right however. My comment was made because the percent of servicmembers who at least vote Republican, if not registered Repubs., I think would easily reach into the 90% range. Repubs. are believed to be "military friendly" and service members, like most people, will default to voting with their pocketbooks when a lack of quality candidates arises. Don_Vito and others may have other opinions.

seawolf21 - if you can't do any better quit posting.

Back on topic - I am reading this morning that this "pause" is BS.

Your comments weren't any better.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: seawolf21
Bleep - I am sorry you lost your son and I am grateful for your service. Moonbeam was right however. My comment was made because the percent of servicmembers who at least vote Republican, if not registered Repubs., I think would easily reach into the 90% range. Repubs. are believed to be "military friendly" and service members, like most people, will default to voting with their pocketbooks when a lack of quality candidates arises. Don_Vito and others may have other opinions.

Really. Show me where I said we have barred Democrats from serving and that I believed that Saddam was elected in a fair election. Read the whole thread again and get back to me.

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: seawolf21

Really. Show me where I said we have barred Democrats from serving and that I believed that Saddam was elected in a fair election. Read the whole thread again and get back to me.

I'm sorry about the personal comments. But you definitely can find non-Republicans serving.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke
This is what happens when you have a president who managed to turn pretty much everyone in the region and beyond against us, and who squandered the support of a global coalition against terrorism, and who could not even convince a fellow NATO ally, Turkey to allow us to start a northern front from their territory. This is one of the most dismal failures of international leadership that I have ever seen.
Your name fits you well.

Well, at least you don't disagree with my argument.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Bleep - I am sorry you lost your son and I am grateful for your service. Moonbeam was right however. My comment was made because the percent of servicmembers who at least vote Republican, if not registered Repubs., I think would easily reach into the 90% range. "

Since you insist on defending your asinine comments, I'm going to insist that you show some evidence that the entire military is 90% Republican.

Besides the issue of whether you are right or wrong in numerical terms, your are completely wrong in the underlying meaning of your statement that it is Republicans that defend the nation. I like to believe it is Americans who make up the military.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Name a worse one.

This Pause is a DISASTER. It strengthens our enemies and shows that we are VULNERABLE. :(

No it doesn't. Man what a Worry Wort you are. If it means anything it means success.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
"Bleep - I am sorry you lost your son and I am grateful for your service. Moonbeam was right however. My comment was made because the percent of servicmembers who at least vote Republican, if not registered Repubs., I think would easily reach into the 90% range. "

Since you insist on defending your asinine comments, I'm going to insist that you show some evidence that the entire military is 90% Republican.

Besides the issue of whether you are right or wrong in numerical terms, your are completely wrong in the underlying meaning of your statement that it is Republicans that defend the nation. I like to believe it is Americans who make up the military.

Man if it were just Republicans that defended out nation I would be worried because most of them seem just as dense as the rest of us...if not more so.

BTW, you ever wonder why the Elite Iraqi Force was called the "Republican Guard" ? I bet some over at Fox News find themselves confused a lot.

Just Kidding:)

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Name a worse one.

Here's a quarter....go buy a clue....
As USUAL, when you have nothing to say you resort to insults. :p
What can I say to you? You obviously don't have a clue...

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Your name fits you well.

Well, at least you don't disagree with my argument.
Ummm....think again.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch

Never made the statement that Republicans are defending the nation. Never have, never will. What is fact though is that I have been on active duty ~19 years and I can tell you that the overwhelmingly majority of people that I knew/know, vote Republican. That was the premise of my post nothing more, nothing less.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Who the hell cares if the men and women in the military are Republican or Democrat? Does it really f'ing matter? They are there doing a great job in a hellish place. I don't give a rat's ass if they voted for Bush or Gore. They are brave souls that deserve to be kept in our thoughts and welcomed home proudly when they complete their job successfully.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Name a worse one.

And you have less than a clue - you only "rant" with nothing to support your ridiculous views . . . We can trade insults all day. You are just as vunerable. :p

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Bleep said-

"To the poster that claimed that the Dem's somehow are wimps and not patrotic should have their mouth washed out with soap. Tell that to a Marine or Airborn over there that is a Democrat."

DaveSohmer said-

"Good luck finding one."

If that isn't the same thing as saying it's Republicans who are in Iraq defending our country explain to me why it isn't ? And while you're at it how about explaining why you feel it is important enough to make the comment if it is not your intention to imply that you agree with the premise that Democrats are inferior someway in their patriotism or willingness to serve.

As far as your own knowledge about the political party people you personally know in the military, you said that 90% are Republicans. Could you please break that down by service and rank ? Marines,Navy, Air Force, Army ? Enlisted, officer ?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
If that isn't the same thing as saying it's Republicans who are in Iraq defending our country explain to me why it isn't ? And while you're at it how about explaining why you feel it is important enough to make the comment if it is not your intention to imply that you agree with the premise that Democrats are inferior someway in their patriotism or willingness to serve.

I already explained why I made the comment and I also explained why it is that most .mil members vote Republican. It's in the thread. Read it.

As for the demographics - mostly Navy, some Marines, some Army and no difference between officer and enlisted.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I already explained why I made the comment and I also explained why it is that most .mil members vote Republican. It's in the thread. Read it."

I read it. I just don't think you are right. I don't think it is even possible that you know how more than a handful of the millions of people in the service vote. I haven't found the necessary documentation yet, but I would bet that the make up of service is actually the opposite of your assertion, given the unbalanced representation of minorities in the Armed Forces. Except for that I would guess the service closely parallels the society at large in terms of political party allegiance.

But that isn't even the important issue. The important issue is that you think it matters. You think it matters enough to insult all of the Democrats that serve.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Name a worse one.

And you have less than a clue - you only "rant" with nothing to support your ridiculous views . . . We can trade insults all day. You are just as vunerable. :p
My ridiculous views? Hmmm...so my view that the war is going well is ridiculous? Care to tell me why? I can argue with you all day but it's pointless because you are so out of touch with reality. Claiming this war is a disaster...come on.....tell me...why is it a disaster? Come on....try to do it without your hatred of President Bush shining through. Just because you don't like the man doesn't mean everything he does is wrong. This war is going well. Did you really think we would just walk in there and the Iraqi's would lay down their weapons and dance around with flowers in the hair?

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
But that isn't even the important issue. The important issue is that you think it matters. You think it matters enough to insult all of the Democrats that serve.

True True!
I dont care what rank the person is that stated that no one could find one democrat in the service. It should be obvious the more rank you have the more rank you get.

If what you say is true which it is not only shows only your bigotlry and bad attitude relating to your fellow servicemen, does this mean that the fellow that threw the handgernade into the tents was a republican that the fellow that shot down the English plane was a republican, the 2 tanks that fought a firefight wiith each other were republicans, that the A10 piolet that bombed the english were republicans? oops maybe these were the only democrats there.
I might also add here that I also have 2 grandchildren in the service 1 in Omnaha in the airforce and the other just left Texas for Iraq while you sit over here and post crap, although you are in the military I can have no respect for you because of your attitude. You do not respect my familys contribution because we are democrats but choose to completly ignore what this democratic family and many others has contributed to your safety.

Bleep

Because I find it not only difficult to argue with someone like you I will no longer post to this thread, be happy you will not have to plut up with this Democrat any more.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Piano Man
My problem is that I don't think we should be there in the first place. The fact that they are f*cking up is icing on the cake. I'm sure it will give Bush an oppurtunity to put more of our soldiers in harms way for the defense of America.

Don't contradict your self.. .

Thats why they are there for there, for the DEFENSE of the country...

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Name a worse one.

My ridiculous views? Hmmm...so my view that the war is going well is ridiculous? Care to tell me why? I can argue with you all day but it's pointless because you are so out of touch with reality. Claiming this war is a disaster...come on.....tell me...why is it a disaster? Come on....try to do it without your hatred of President Bush shining through. Just because you don't like the man doesn't mean everything he does is wrong. This war is going well. Did you really think we would just walk in there and the Iraqi's would lay down their weapons and dance around with flowers in the hair?

So it looks like you have nothing to back up what you say besides insults?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: flavio
Name a worse one.

So it looks like you have nothing to back up what you say besides insults?

Read the entire thread....I've had plenty to say and I'm not going to regurgitate it all over again just because you didn't read it the first time. I can't help it if apoppin and others refuse to listen to reason and want to continue believing that the war is a disastrous failure.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
"I already explained why I made the comment and I also explained why it is that most .mil members vote Republican. It's in the thread. Read it."

I read it. I just don't think you are right. I don't think it is even possible that you know how more than a handful of the millions of people in the service vote. I haven't found the necessary documentation yet, but I would bet that the make up of service is actually the opposite of your assertion, given the unbalanced representation of minorities in the Armed Forces. Except for that I would guess the service closely parallels the society at large in terms of political party allegiance.

True True!
I dont care what rank the person is that stated that no one could find one democrat in the service. It should be obvious the more rank you have the more rank you get.

If what you say is true which it is not only shows only your bigotlry and bad attitude relating to your fellow servicemen, does this mean that the fellow that threw the handgernade into the tents was a republican that the fellow that shot down the English plane was a republican, the 2 tanks that fought a firefight wiith each other were republicans, that the A10 piolet that bombed the english were republicans? oops maybe these were the only democrats there.
I might also add here that I also have 2 grandchildren in the service 1 in Omnaha in the airforce and the other just left Texas for Iraq while you sit over here and post crap, although you are in the military I can have no respect for you because of your attitude. You do not respect my familys contribution because we are democrats but choose to completly ignore what this democratic family and many others has contributed to your safety.

Bleep

Because I find it not only difficult to argue with someone like you I will no longer post to this thread, be happy you will not have to plut up with this Democrat any more.

I'm not sure which one of you is fscking dumber. No where in this thread did I say I didn't respect someone because of some political affiliation. No where in this thread did I say only Republicans were willing to defend the country. I simply stated, and I stand by my assertion, that the vast majority of people that I know vote Republican. The two of you have somehow become offended by this even after I have explained it at least three fscking times. I can only surmise it is because you are both too stupid to understand plain fscking English. Have someone read and explain it to you. There is no fscking issue. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I simply stated, and I stand by my assertion, that the vast majority of people that I know vote Republican."

That isn't what you said, but if that is what you meant, you should get out more.

j/k

LH

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2002
This pause is not a disaster, it means our troops will be well rested once advancement begins again. The only supply problem we have is there is a shortage of MRE's. They have plenty of fuel and water, it isnt the supply lines themselves in just a lack of MREs. The supply lines are under attack either.

People really need to go buy a clue, we arent facing "fierce" resistence, we arent being bogged down. Lets not forget the first a day and half to two days there was nothing going on, the third day troops moved out. Then there were 2 and a half to three days of sand storms. When we loose less than 35 men in combat, and they lose over 35,000 thats a 1000 to 1 kill ratio. We are doing pretty damn good.

We dont have the public support in Iraq right now, because anyone that supports us will be shot in the back of the head. If they dont fight us, they will be shot in the back of the head.

LH

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2002
soldiers have had their rations cut to one meal packet a day from three.

They havent had 3 MREs at all. They have had 2. Which is 2600 calories. Most units are still at 2, some are down to 1.