U.S. Orders 4-6 Day Pause in Iraq Advance (because of supply shortages) Dems this is your chance..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

That is my point. No on knows, this could be real, it could misinformation. Eitherway Iraq has a few divisions that need to be weakened, troops need to rest, equipment needs to be repairs and supplies need to be topped off. After going 300 miles it makes sense to have an operational pause if it is needed. This is far from a disaster.

I'm not saying it's a disaster, and it's the right move under the circumstances. I just think it could have been avoided.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jaeger66
Originally posted by: OFFascist

What is the danger if allied forces "stop in the middle"? Its not like we are the Iraqis and easy pickings out in the open. Infact we do better in the open because of the longer ranges our weapons our good too, and our nightvisision and infrared technology. Our forces are certainly safer out in the open than they would be fighting house to house in Baghdad.

That is true. But we will need to fight in Bagdhad and it will be messy, as urban war always is. Now if the Iraqis decide to fall back into the city there isn't a whole lot we can do about it if we're in pause mode.

Except if they move, they are dead. They cannot move without us knowing it. The ground forces may pause, but the air force and navy is not.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

That is my point. No on knows, this could be real, it could misinformation. Eitherway Iraq has a few divisions that need to be weakened, troops need to rest, equipment needs to be repairs and supplies need to be topped off. After going 300 miles it makes sense to have an operational pause if it is needed. This is far from a disaster.

I'm not saying it's a disaster, and it's the right move under the circumstances. I just think it could have been avoided.

NO plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Things probably would have been better if we could have had the 4th ID come thru Turkey as well.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

It's called PLANNING. This was a Bush "rush job".

Of course its the right move - they HAVE to stop. :p

rolleye.gif

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001

NO plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Things probably would have been better if we could have had the 4th ID come thru Turkey as well.

I think that's the general consensus, but no point worrying about it now. Well, unless Saddam tries out one of his supposed WMD on a stationary division.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
This is what happens when you have a president who managed to turn pretty much everyone in the region and beyond against us, and who squandered the support of a global coalition against terrorism, and who could not even convince a fellow NATO ally, Turkey to allow us to start a northern front from their territory. This is one of the most dismal failures of international leadership that I have ever seen.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SuperTool
This is what happens when you have a president who managed to turn pretty much everyone in the region and beyond against us, and who squandered the support of a global coalition against terrorism, and who could not even convince a fellow NATO ally, Turkey to allow us to start a northern front from their territory. This is one of the most dismal failures of international leadership that I have ever seen.
Name a worse one.

I can't find one in US history.

This Pause is a DISASTER. It strengthens our enemies and shows that we are VULNERABLE. :(

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999

Amen, brutha!

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

DaveSohmer

Good luck finding one.

This is the most ignorant statement I have ever seen on this or any other forum. What the hell do you know about anything you ignorant asss.

Let me tell you something I am a Democrat my family have been democrats for as long as I know. I lost 2 uncles- My father was shot up- I am walking around on plastic and have 2 purple hearts and a Bronze star- My oldest son came back in a body bag, You are a ungratfull piece of feces with no brains or common sense. I wish I could send you over there to see what kind of man you are or are you only 12 or 13.

Bleep

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Bleep
DaveSohmer

Good luck finding one.

This is the most ignorant statement I have ever seen on this or any other forum. What the hell do you know about anything you ignorant asss.

Let me tell you something I am a Democrat my family have been democrats for as long as I know. I lost 2 uncles- My father was shot up- I am walking around on plastic and have 2 purple hearts and a Bronze star- My oldest son came back in a body bag, You are a ungratfull piece of feces with no brains or common sense. I wish I could send you over there to see what kind of man you are or are you only 12 or 13.

Bleep

I guess DaveSohmer also believes that Saddam did get a 100% approval rating during the last year's Iraqi "election."

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Personally I would have asked him what he meant by "good luck finding one" It could mean a lot of things encluding personal experience that most military people he knows are Republican which wouldn't frankly surprise me and even maybe regret that that is so. I could easily see a democratic marine making the same comment. Anyway, Bleep, Sohmer is a Navy sub chief if it hasn't been mentioned.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
but seriously, why the heck are we telling saddam this? he logs onto CNN and finds out more information on our troop movements than his own intelligence tells him. now he knows to duck and cover his troops for the next 4-6 days while preparing deadly set-ups for our troops when the 4-6 "break" is over

unless we're lyin' and attack in 3 days...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
Name a worse one.

This Pause is a DISASTER. It strengthens our enemies and shows that we are VULNERABLE. :(

A "DISASTER"? That's a rather strong characterization, and I tend to think you're greatly overstating your point. War ebbs and flows; as we fight an enemy determined to kill us, the enemy attempts to come up with tactics that will work against us. US military pushes ahead, so they need to pause, reinforce, and shore up supply lines. That's not a "DISASTER", it's smart. A "DISASTER" would be if the Iraqis managed to cut off the supply line completely, leaving our forward troops vulnerable to counterattack. A "DISASTER" would be if the fedayeen released chemical weapons and gassed the citizens of Basrah. A "DISASTER" would be if the Iraqis manage to pull off a major terrorist attack on US soil in retaliation. A strategic pause is not a "DISASTER".

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: Piano Man
My problem is that I don't think we should be there in the first place. The fact that they are f*cking up is icing on the cake. I'm sure it will give Bush an oppurtunity to put more of our soldiers in harms way for the defense of America.
Ok General Patton....tell me how they are f*cking it up and what you would do. You obviously have no clue about military operations.

Actually, I dont think Patton would have stopped until he was in Bagdad, supply lines or no :D

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Bleep - I am sorry you lost your son and I am grateful for your service. Moonbeam was right however. My comment was made because the percent of servicmembers who at least vote Republican, if not registered Repubs., I think would easily reach into the 90% range. Repubs. are believed to be "military friendly" and service members, like most people, will default to voting with their pocketbooks when a lack of quality candidates arises. Don_Vito and others may have other opinions.

seawolf21 - if you can't do any better quit posting.

Back on topic - I am reading this morning that this "pause" is BS.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer
Bleep - I am sorry you lost your son and I am grateful for your service. Moonbeam was right however. My comment was made because the percent of servicmembers who at least vote Republican, if not in registered Repubs., I think would easily reach into the 90% range. Repubs. are believed to be "military friendly" and service members, like most people, will default to voting with their pocketbooks when a lack of quality candidates arises. Don_Vito and others may have other opinions.

seawolf21 - if you can't do any better quit posting.

Back on topic - I am reading this morning that this "pause" is BS.

I wonder if (assuming your last line is true) the US put that out just to fake out Saddam

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious
ummm most Democrats are in support of the war.

Last poll I saw (it was a couple of days ago), 49% of Dems supported the war. The 2% difference between that and "most" is probably within the margin of error though

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

You obviously have no clue about military operations.

And you do...why? Becasue you have a flag as your avatar? The Coalition both underestimated the ability of non traditional warfare to bog things down and have overextended the supply lines. They were in such a damned hurry to get to Baghdad and now they have to stop in the middle. Not good.
No, because I have extensively studied military history. I have a masters in history and while my masters specialization is not in military history, it was my area of concentration for my bachelors. Now...that doesn't make me a military genius, but I think I know more than ol General Piano Man who is just talking out of his ass. Before you ask....I tried to join the USMC 11 years ago but they wouldn't take me due to a heart condition I have.....

So they moved faster than their supply lines could move to stay up with them. Do you think that's the first time in the history of warfare that has happened? It's not a big deal.....

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Your name fits you well.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Name a worse one.

Here's a quarter....go buy a clue....

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Your name fits you well.

His name does fit him well :D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Name a worse one.

Here's a quarter....go buy a clue....
As USUAL, when you have nothing to say you resort to insults. :p