U.S. economy lost 63,000 jobs in February

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: umbrella39
One a side note, in Michigan we actually dropped our unemployment rate by 3/10 %.

According to the state, employers added 4,000 payroll jobs in January. Gains of 2,000 construction jobs, 2, 000 leisure and hospitality positions and 4,000 hires in the trade, transportation and utilities sectors were offset by a loss of 6,000 jobs in manufacturing.
Text

We have been enduring this "one-state recession" for quite some time now. IMO, the rest of the country has a long way to go before catching up with us and this being coined a true recession.

It's also notable that many of the unemployed Michiganders have removed themselves from the Michigan labor force--by fleeing the state!

That's why I'd like to get this phrase added to the language: ... "harder to find than an available U-Haul in Michigan."

As in, "Finding functioning brain cells in George Bush's head is harder to find than a U-Haul in Michigan."

Yes, it has been suggested news but only very quietly here that people jumping off the sinking ship are what is really responsible for this blip in Michigan's unemployment numbers. If I were in any other profession than medical, I reckon we would have fled, too. But hey, we have an imported, Canadian born, female, liberal governor that stated last week she would block any of the attempts Michiganders are trying to get on the ballot concerning legalizing marijuana. So we have that going for us! That kind of shit is far more important than trying to fix our state.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
One a side note, in Michigan we actually dropped our unemployment rate by 3/10 %.

According to the state, employers added 4,000 payroll jobs in January. Gains of 2,000 construction jobs, 2, 000 leisure and hospitality positions and 4,000 hires in the trade, transportation and utilities sectors were offset by a loss of 6,000 jobs in manufacturing.
Text

We have been enduring this "one-state recession" for quite some time now. IMO, the rest of the country has a long way to go before catching up with us and this being coined a true recession.

It's also notable that many of the unemployed Michiganders have removed themselves from the Michigan labor force--by fleeing the state!

That's why I'd like to get this phrase added to the language: ... "harder to find than an available U-Haul in Michigan."

As in, "Finding functioning brain cells in George Bush's head is harder to find than a U-Haul in Michigan."

Yes, it has been suggested news but only very quietly here that people jumping off the sinking ship are what is really responsible for this blip in Michigan's unemployment numbers. If I were in any other profession than medical, I reckon we would have fled, too. But hey, we have an imported, Canadian born, female, liberal governor that stated last week she would block any of the attempts Michiganders are trying to get on the ballot concerning legalizing marijuana. So we have that going for us! That kind of shit is far more important than trying to fix our state.

Yeah because its her fault the car companies went down the drain? The one thing that Michigan has is water and you will see people coming back in droves in 20-30 years when the southern states run out of water. Its only a cycle.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

Text

Yeah because its her fault the car companies went down the drain? The one thing that Michigan has is water and you will see people coming back in droves in 20-30 years when the southern states run out of water. Its only a cycle.

I never suggested she was even a factor in the car industries problems. My point was that her priorities are fucked up and the irony of someone with her pedigree actually being against mj legalization. I would have expected that from DeVos, Posthumus, or Engler... but not her.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Don't worry, blackangst and LK will fix the situation with an anecdotal forum post in 3...2...1...

They will just tell us all how we need to buy stock, because everyone can buy stock, even the unemployed.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Originally posted by: Genx87
Oh wow we are entering a recession period and saw negative job growth?

Quick, somebody call the press!

Here is a hint. We will continue to see job loss for months to come as we enter into the recession.

63,000 jobs out of the ~150 million workforce is barely a statistical blip. When this is all said and done. We will probably see job loss in the hundreds of thousands per month.

In a country where the entire population is 300 million, i seriously doubt that half of the people, especially the women and children are working.

150 million would be approximately 1/2 of the total, or every male (or female) in the country.
The entire working sector would most likely be around 80 million - and many of them have to hold 2 or more jobs just to make ends meet.

only a few percent hold more than 1 job.

You mean only a few percent are uniquely American? Where's the patriotism??

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Originally posted by: Genx87
Oh wow we are entering a recession period and saw negative job growth?

Quick, somebody call the press!

Here is a hint. We will continue to see job loss for months to come as we enter into the recession.

63,000 jobs out of the ~150 million workforce is barely a statistical blip. When this is all said and done. We will probably see job loss in the hundreds of thousands per month.
In a country where the entire population is 300 million, i seriously doubt that half of the people, especially the women and children are working.

150 million would be approximately 1/2 of the total, or every male (or female) in the country.
The entire working sector would most likely be around 80 million - and many of them have to hold 2 or more jobs just to make ends meet.

only a few percent hold more than 1 job.

You mean only a few percent are uniquely American? Where's the patriotism??

Bahahahahaha :thumbsup: