U.S. Economy Grew at 3.2% Rate in the 4th Quarter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Wait, didn't the job-creating rich just get their tax cuts? Everything should be just fine now, Wait? when are they going to start creating those jobs here, instead of overseas?

Oh, you mean they need more tax cuts besides what they just got? Oh, then they'll start creating jobs...boy have they got alot of people fooled...meanwhile the rest of us are F***ED!!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
War? Who knows.

Economic collapse? Unless drastic changes are made, you bet. Its on its way.

so we shouldn't spend during a recession? Doesnt this fly in the face of every economist except the youtube warriors?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
In other news, the US Military budget is $685B per year.

I hope those terrorists are suitably shocked and awed. Oh yeah, and have we sent our annual warning to China about their increased military spending? How dare they.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It's always funny to hear people talk about the debt yet never, ever be right about its consequences. I guess at some point they'll be right in 100 or 200 years.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
It's always funny to hear people talk about the debt yet never, ever be right about its consequences. I guess at some point they'll be right in 100 or 200 years.

What are the consequences for 1.5 trillion deficits. You tell me

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

Well the problem will be when financial obligations rise to the point where the work force doesn't generate enough taxes to pay for it.

It's coming, SS and Medicare/caid is supposed to reach 20% of GDP in the 2020s. The other factor is that at the same time people that rely on those programs will be a very prevalent voting group.

Yikes!!

Burning it at both ends of the stick.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
What could go wrong?

Waht+me+worry+MAD+motivational+posters+barack+obama+alfred+e.+neuman+mad+magazine+barackobama+barack_obama+funny+hot+blogs+wallpapers.jpg

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Well the problem will be when financial obligations rise to the point where the work force doesn't generate enough taxes to pay for it.

It's coming, SS and Medicare/caid is supposed to reach 20% of GDP in the 2020s. The other factor is that at the same time people that rely on those programs will be a very prevalent voting group.

Yikes!!

Well if you guys would bother to vote maybe you would help yourselves. I always hear all this complaining from the younger genenration complaining about how the older genenration is screwing them over yet when when then voting statistics are revealed ever election year you guys fail to turn out to vote in droves.

Hell we thought the same shit about our elders but we did something about it, we harrassed them to lower the voting age (then didn't bother to vote either):biggrin:

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Well if you guys would bother to vote maybe you would help yourselves. I always hear all this complaining from the younger genenration complaining about how the older genenration is screwing them over yet when when then voting statistics are revealed ever election year you guys fail to turn out to vote in droves.

Hell we thought the same shit about our elders but we did something about it, we harrassed them to lower the voting age (then didn't bother to vote either):biggrin:

Uh, I'm not America, and my country is humming along better than the rest of the world.

I also vote in every Federal election in my country, I do my bit.

For the record, it's not about the 'older generation' screwing anyone over. It's a numbers game. As time goes on we have significantly more commitments to the elderly, with a shrinking working population.

It's hard to come out ahead.

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Uh, I'm not America, and my country is humming along better than the rest of the world.

I also vote in every Federal election in my country, I do my bit.

For the record, it's not about the 'older generation' screwing anyone over. It's a numbers game. As time goes on we have significantly more commitments to the elderly, with a shrinking working population.

It's hard to come out ahead.
Blame it on the Pill.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Yikes!!

Debt financing is a part of modern society and it's done all the time by both people and corporations, quite successfully, and far more people have been enriched by it than hurt by it. It's called the time value of money, and time is on the U.S.'s side. That is, anyone can finance their debt if they're a generally strong country that has smart inflation policies and sensible gov't controls on taxes and wealth creation. We've been slowly inflating away our debt for a good few decades now and despite decades of overly debt-happy admins the current crisis can be rather tidily resolved with a good 5-10 years of economic growth along with reined-in spending and sensible tax policy. It won't take anything particularly magical to do politically, economically or socially.

Besides, obligations come due have been coming due since the 30's and 60's for said entitlement programs, so it's not something that's particularly new, interesting or staggeringly unmanageable. SS will take 40 years to become insolvent if we do absolutely nothing. For anyone to call that a crisis is to tell people you're not capable of basic arithmetic. It's something that needs addressing, sooner rather than later, but is nowhere near dire or urgent as the entitlement alarmists have been saying for 80 years. Hopefully we cut spending, raise taxes (by cutting loopholes via subsidies), and continue the current admin's pro-growth policies to their so far successful conclusion, as evidenced by both GDP and employment improving immensely in the last year.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/business/economy/29econ.html?src=busln

Do the economists think there's still the possibility of a double dip?

I am curious if you actually read the report or just plucked a headline?

Real gross domestic purchases -- purchases by U.S. residents of goods and services wherever produced -- decreased 0.3 percent in the fourth quarter, in contrast to an increase of 4.2 percent in the third.

Hmm, maybe we spent more because shit costs more and not because we are actually buying more?

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I am curious if you actually read the report or just plucked a headline?

Hmm, maybe we spent more because shit costs more and not because we are actually buying more?

Shit costs more thanks to Quantitative Easing :D

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Our current path is unsustainable. 22 trillion debt within 4 years. Thats 8 trillion more in debt by 2015. Completely unsustainable.

Hey, I know. Let's cut the marginal income tax rate for the rich to 5%. That will for sure supercharge the economy and make deficits a thing of the past.

Ya just gotta believe.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerballtux
Yeah I'm kinda irritated that our cable internet is going to be like $45 instead of $30, last year during recession it was all $30 smooth sailing.

Show me how QE2 had an impact in your interwebs bill?

Dude, it's all connected and part of the plan.

More importantly it has boosted food costs worldwide nearly 50% in many places.

People are starving and revolting, can't blame them.