U.S. appeals court strikes down state's concealed-carry ban +Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-us-appeals-court-strikes-down-states-concealedcarry-ban-20121211,0,7034171.story

The state of Illinois would have to allow ordinary citizens to carry weapons under a federal appeals court ruling issued today, but the judges also gave lawmakers 180 days to put their own version of the law in place.

In a 2-1 decision that is a major victory for the National Rifle Association, the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals said the state's ban on carrying a weapon in public is unconstitutional

woo!

now chicago has 180 days to come up with a idiotic law that they will get smacked down again.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I guess occasionally there are sensible rulings. I'm sure the idiots in IL will come up with some other new assault on 2nd amendment rights, but right now it's a good ruling.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I guess occasionally there are sensible rulings. I'm sure the idiots in IL will come up with some other new assault on 2nd amendment rights, but right now it's a good ruling.

CHicago will come up with something so insane that it won't work. then they will get sued yet again and the process will repeat itself.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
CHicago will come up with something so insane that it won't work. then they will get sued yet again and the process will repeat itself.

The next think you know, Chicago will try taxing ammunition so much that it makes owning a gun very expensive.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Wonder if this sets any precedents for other states (looks at CA very hard) and future cases.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Wonder if this sets any precedents for other states (looks at CA very hard) and future cases.

Living in CA I have been wondering the same thing. I have been waiting to purchase some type of Rifle/Carbine for a while and kind of been holding off because CA gun laws make the clip feed rifles kind of pathetic in CA.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006

Right now the decision only applies in the 7th Circuit IIRC.

If Illinois appeals to the Supreme Court then we can get a decision that applies nationwide. Or a different decision in another circuit (there's quite a few carry lawsuits active at the moment) would likely get the case to the Supreme Court as well.

In either case, it looks like the idiocy of the anti-gunners is setting us up for another good Supreme Court decision. I guess they didn't learn after Heller and McDonald.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
The next think you know, Chicago will try taxing ammunition so much that it makes owning a gun very expensive.

I've thought the same. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see this tied at the federal level. They'll couch it as a 'healthcare tax' somehow.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There is a Winchester Western small arms plant in East Alton, IL. They also make some government ammunition. They make hunting rounds, Pistol Rounds, and Nato and Army ammunition. There is also a Brass Casting and milling operation here for bars, coils, etc. They employ a lot of people in the Ammunition and brass industries in this part of Illinois. A high Tax on Ammunition would be shooting their own industry in the foot. Cant fix stupid!

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

There's currently a case before the 4th circuit on whether Maryland's very restrictive policy on concealed carry permits is constitutional.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Right now the decision only applies in the 7th Circuit IIRC.

If Illinois appeals to the Supreme Court then we can get a decision that applies nationwide. Or a different decision in another circuit (there's quite a few carry lawsuits active at the moment) would likely get the case to the Supreme Court as well.

In either case, it looks like the idiocy of the anti-gunners is setting us up for another good Supreme Court decision. I guess they didn't learn after Heller and McDonald.

Let's hope the balance of the court stays the same until this case gets through

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
There is a Winchester Western small arms plant in East Alton, IL. They also make some government ammunition. They make hunting rounds, Pistol Rounds, and Nato and Army ammunition. There is also a Brass Casting and milling operation here for bars, coils, etc. They employ a lot of people in the Ammunition and brass industries in this part of Illinois. A high Tax on Ammunition would be shooting their own industry in the foot. Cant fix stupid!

Yeah they tried to BAN manufacturing guns and ammo in IL a few years ago, that didnt over so well

it was something like 30,000 jobs would be lost in IL

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Yeah they tried to BAN manufacturing guns and ammo in IL a few years ago, that didnt over so well

it was something like 30,000 jobs would be lost in IL

and that is the lst thing they need

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I personally can't wait to be a responsible citizen and exercise my right to be a responsible gun owner in the state of Illinois. Hopefully if things go the way they usually do in IL they won't get their "laws" in order before the 180 days and we won't get any absurd restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.