U-571 - Too far IMO!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
They're suppose to show how smart one is. :D

Most never take those surveys serioulsy and usually don't answer honestly. For example, I remember looking through one for 7th graders asking how many times they had sex. All girls denied having sex while 73% of the guys claimed they have sex frequently each month. hmmmm

As for this topic, I do agree that movie makers should stick to the major facts when making a movie based on a true story. But still, it's only a movie and ment for entertainment purposes and not a history lesson.

wise guy huh*

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
There's &quot;there&quot;, &quot;their&quot; and &quot;they're&quot;, and &quot;they're&quot; is what you should have used there! :)

[edit]Damn, you've edited it and now it looks like I'm crazy! :)[/edit]

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
<<But still, it's only a movie and ment for entertainment purposes and not a history lesson.>>

I don't contest that for a second. However, how does making the characters American improve its entertainment value? Even if it does slightly, is it worth the disrespect? I know that my moral code tells me it isn't.

I have a feeling that I've not been expressing myself very well in the above posts. Let me just clarify that it's not really just that people are getting the wrong historical facts shoved down their necks that pisses me. It's the disrespect and hurt to those people who now know themselves, that millions have now disregarded their courageous and selfless actions in the hope that some fat cats might pull in a few more $.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Hey Thorn, what was so inconsistent with Saving Private Ryan that your grandfather didn't like? From what i've read, it's one of the most realistic/accurate depiction of a war scene ever.

And standardized surveys aren't meant to say how smart an individual student is... but a comprehensive review/measurement of the current state of the educational system. That's why they also include 'geniuses' and the slower kids. I mean, you can't judge what is average if you don't know what is intelligent or dumb.

blade

Oct 9, 1999
Like I said, for something like this they should have made it factual. You shouldn't change the heroes in this way. But the fact is it is an american made movie and they wanted it to make as much moola as possible. And they clearly thought that by changing the heroes to americans then more of us would pay to see it. It's just about money, no disrespect ment at all in any way.

Do u brits never not whine about things americans do? Recently it was the british press whining about all the bad guys in american films this year that are mostly brits, and then whining about the character that mel gibson played in the patriot. And the year before it was....oh never mind. :D

And we don't use some made-up false survey to insult u brits either like that so called one of american high school students. Sheeesh.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Yes the tests are meant to test the system as a whole, but to jaded and lazy kids, its a complete waste of time. Your going to make me take a test that i don't get graded on? It doesn't affect my grade, ugh huh.. i'll do my best... right... stupid crackpot administrators and their ideas.

LouisXIX

Oct 9, 1999
Ok, hypothetically speaking, say u571 was an english movie with english actors. Who the f**k would be suitable for the roles of the Submarine crew? Hugh Grant? Damn no. Instead all-american Harvey Keitel is the obvious choice for the film, given his similarity to that guy in Das Boat.

The war veterans who actually rescued the Enigma decoder said they loved the film, and it excellently portrayed what happened. Although they did have one wish: a small note been shown in the opening credits to explain that they (the english) were actually responsible. Well, its too late now, so just put it on the vhs/dvd release to shut Dougster up ;).

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
LouisXIX,

I don't know where you get your information from, but both on TV and from first hand experience I know that that's not the reaction of the veterans of this Enigma debacle.

On another note, are you also trying to say that there's no talent in the British film industry? There's no (little) money in the British film industry so there's no chance of a film like this being made by us. However, hypothetically speaking, if this money was present I assure you that there would be many more famous British actors than just Hugh Grant! The talent is there, it just can't break out as much because of the lack of funding. The only famous Brit actors at the moment rise through Hollywood, but understandably this is difficult in an American dominated market so there are few of them.

You do sort of have a point though, where would they find a crews worth of quality British actors nowadays? :) Still, there's nothing wrong with Americans playing Britons, as in &quot;Shakespeare in Love&quot;. Even Hollywood couldn't make Shakespeare out to be an American! :)

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
<<And we don't use some made-up false survey to insult u brits either like that so called one of american high school students. Sheeesh.>>

I can assure you that to my knowledge it wasn't made up. It was featured on a respectable program and was claimed to have come from some American source (which I can't remember the name of).

I'd also like to point out (again) that I wasn't using it to try and insult Americans, I was just using it (as they did in this program) to try and show the potential for mass wrong belief.

blade, are you the guy who was sending me those mails? It's just they've stopped ever since you started posting in this thread, and they are along the same lines (though admittedly coarser and less lucid) of what you are saying. I know I shouldn't accuse anyone publicly like this, but I'd just like to say that if it was you, there's no hard feelings. If it wasn't you, sorry.

LouisXIX

Oct 9, 1999
Dougster, BBC South Today lunchtime edition, an interview was conducted with one of the veterans, who said he loved the film, and if a little declaration was inserted at the start of u571 then everything would have been fine and dandy. You cant mess with the words of a war veteran who's fought for king and country......

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
Just out of interest, where abouts are you down south?

That's great that he can take it on the chin like that. However, in my mind if just one of the Veterans felt that they had been done a disservice (and I know the one on Look East thought he had), in my mind those feelings are justified. Even if ALL of them felt they couldn't care less (as if), there's still a moral issue in question here.

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
My mum went to UEA, she chose it over Cambridge for some reason (which she also got in to). Because she went there I still visit Norwich quite a bit. I love Pizza one Pancake too!

What are you reading?

yata

Jun 2, 2000
Is Thorn here? I'd really like to know what was wrong with Saving Private Ryan, from the account of his grandpa. Really interested.

I agree with Dougster totally. I guess the movie was made for the average joe. Might as well add a chick to the movie, like, let's see... Pamela Anderson. Away those torpedoes.

LouisXIX

Oct 9, 1999
.....im reading your post.

Computer Science. CS students are usually called 'syskids' by the rest of the university. As you can imagine, with that nickname its hard to attract some of the gourgeous females here :|.

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
Well I've certainly learnt a lesson here!

I've learnt that the way to convince people on a BBS is not to make a perceived attack on their intelligence in your first paragraph, not mater how good your intentions! :)

Good night all, I must be off to bed it's 02:48 here!

blade

Oct 9, 1999
<< and was claimed to have come from some American source (which I can't remember the name of). >>

Gee, u make it sound so believable. :D

And no Dougster, that isn't me that is emailing u. While I do think all your are doing is wanting others to agree with your whine, that isn't close to being my style. I do things up front. And thank you for your classy way of accusing me. :|

And did u ever stop to think that maybe others have the same opinion of what u are doing? Hey ya know the brits make those films that make us americans look like bumbling idiots while the brits always save the day but do u ever see us whine about them? The films, Bond movies.

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
I have a feeling that the guy on the program said &quot;fedstats&quot;, &quot;federalstats&quot; or something similar. I don't know if this means anything to you or if I heard it incorrectly etc. Although saying I can't remember the name of the agency doesn't do much for my believability, quoting one that doesn't exist is even worse!