Tyranny by Obsidian

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Looks pretty interesting. I was happy with the end result of backing Pillars of Eternity so I'll definitely check this out.

For those at work here's whats known.
-Game setting is set after an evil despot conquers the world defeating the forces of good ( Sauron wins basically). The player was one of the conqueror's lieutenants and post war has become one of his executors.
-Game uses Pillars Engine and combat is RTwP.
-Choice and Consequence are supposed to be pretty big and are even a part of character creation. You can select choices you made during the war as part of character creation. These will alter the game world. (Example given is a town the player visits at one point they may have razed it during the war).
-Classless skill system. Skills are improved through use like Elder Scrolls.
-Party size of 4. Party members can combo off each other mixing spells and martial skills. (Sounds like Divinity Original Sin) Whether they like/dislike you can alter combos. Example given a spellcaster can use a spell enhanced fist to hit the ground and launch a companion through the air to deal a death from above attack.
-Faction system and Stronghold in the game.
-You can craft your own spells.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Actually it was announced like a week ago, but more info keeps coming out every day.

Aug 11, 2008
I so want a new Elder Scrolls game.

POE was ok, I wasnt blown away by it but it was playable once.

For sure. FO4 is good, but I would prefer Elder Scrolls. A new Elder Scrolls game is probably the only franchise that would be a day one purchase for me.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
will you be able to create and play modules, like in NWN?

biggest disappointment of Wasteland 2 was the total absence of this feature - and having a stat system designed to work for the progression of the campaign, rather than a generic one.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
loved PoE, beat it first playthrough on Hard. but i do wish they'd stop with the stronghold feature in RPGs...a Campsite like Dragon Age Origins is in my opinion a better option.
i'm a wandering adventurer, i don't need a home base to tie me down.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
loved PoE, beat it first playthrough on Hard. but i do wish they'd stop with the stronghold feature in RPGs...a Campsite like Dragon Age Origins is in my opinion a better option.
i'm a wandering adventurer, i don't need a home base to tie me down.

I think a stronghold could be a good feature for a sequel, when your characters are higher level. Also if they add it, it should be part of the game, not an appendix like it was in PoE.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In Baldurs Gate 2 you had to seek out your stronghold and do things a specific way in order to even access it. Then you had to do other completely optional stuff to make it function.

That seemed to be a lot more fun than getting railroaded into it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for sharing that link. This definitely is something I'll keep an eye on.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
everything sounds great except the 20 hours part. i don't do much replaying, i tend to overdose on game rather quickly and need a break (other games)

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Hmmm.. if only 20hrs, not sure about that too.
I loved the old obsidian games but for some reason Pillars just didn't click for me...

I am kinda hopefull for this, it will be interesting to play from the bad guys' side, always wanted a gamed where say either they won like this one or say like in BG series where sure you are a bhalspawn but never really become the god that you could be

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The name Obsidian inspires confidence that this game will be great. However, it sounds like they are trying to mash together a lot of different (great) RPGs into one Super RPG which history has taught us this tends to end up with rather shallow features all-around. I'm hopeful this will turn out great as I loved Divinity Origin Sin as well as Pillars of Eternity.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Custom spell making sounds awesome, but I do hope it's not just limited to damage spells. I want to create custom stun/hold type spells, and other stuff.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Loved the custom spells/enchants in Morrowind way back when. It was hilariously broken - you could craft up a fireball strong enough to destroy an entire town in one cast if you wanted to.

I never actually used that power, but I always liked knowing I could. I imagined that's what being a wizard in a medieval world might actually feel like.

Reactions: Sonikku

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Loved the custom spells/enchants in Morrowind way back when. It was hilariously broken - you could craft up a fireball strong enough to destroy an entire town in one cast if you wanted to.

I never actually used that power, but I always liked knowing I could. I imagined that's what being a wizard in a medieval world might actually feel like.

Custom made spells with outrageous attack range was one of my favorite parts of that game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So... what's the word? I dislike reading day 1 reviews, but I know there's some diehard fans out there who have already sunk countless hours into the game already. A few people on my friend's list says it's incredibly addicting and the lore/story grabs you right out the gate.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
So... what's the word? I dislike reading day 1 reviews, but I know there's some diehard fans out there who have already sunk countless hours into the game already. A few people on my friend's list says it's incredibly addicting and the lore/story grabs you right out the gate.

It's good. Different than Pillars, but still good. Party limit is 4 in Tyranny, but honestly I'm fine with that. I really do like the spell system, it's fun exploring the different combinations.

I'm not done yet, but overall I still think Pillars of Eternity is the better game, but Tyranny is definitely not a bad game.

I do wish I could zoom out more, feels too zoomed in. When you're on a spire you can zoom out properly and it feels like an Infinity Engine game which is great, but for some reason it doesn't work like that anywhere else in the game.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Tyranny is great. I wish more developers would do what Obsidian is doing. Obsidian is diversifying their catalog with a mixture of expensive AAA titles and lower cost but quality titles and thus reducing risk. By lower cost, I'm not talking about mobile trash or cash shops. Some developers cry about how they need to spend $100 million to make AAA titles and use that to justify parting out the game for DLC. We all appreciate the production value that tends to go into huge titles like Mass Effect or Fallout, but we don't require that every game be at that level.

Given that New Vegas still considered by many (myself included) to be the best Fallout game since Bethesda got the license, I think there is a good chance Bethesda will give Obsidian another chance at a AAA Fallout game while they focus on the next Elder Scrolls game.