typical excuses for not participating in photo contests

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Reasons not to enter photo contests:
  1. The contest winners are rarely, if ever, images I would have chosen. Therefore, my taste in images seems to be drastically different from either the average person or from those who vote. The challenge-of-challenges winners have often been images I would have deleted in-camera.

2. I don't need validation from other people about my photos.

3. The voting system doesn't seem to be credible.

4. What purpose does it serve to enter a contest? I can't figure out any reason to enter a contest aside from ego stroking or trying to mold your image style to match the desires of others, both of which, it seems to me, are counter productive.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ok. there's that. Not many care to admit they're so easily deterred, I bet.

Maybe I should have worded it "reservations" rather than "reasons." It's more a list of often-heard objections to the concept of contests.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'd probably have to enter several contests before getting that jaded.

Having only entered one, I'm not soured on the whole experience, although 400-some entries made me feel lost in the shuffle. 2 of the entries were mine. And because it was a display of physical prints, I didn't get any feedback, other than the from the guy who processed my submission.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
The actual reason to not enter many photo contests is because they often involve you giving unrestricted usage rights for any image you enter to the contest organizer for free. It's literally giving away your photos for a chance at few bucks in prize money.

Frankly, I'd rather publications pay for their content. Never, ever give photos to publishers without fair compensation, no mater what they promise or so you can get your name in print to "start your career." The more free content supplied the harder it becomes for working photographers to earn a living.

narreth

May 4, 2007
The only reason is it gets you thinking about a specific theme and a purpose to go out shooting IMO.