Typical Athlon XP temp?

jlee1060

Jul 21, 2003
According to my ASUS utility (A7N8X Deluxe MB), my Athlon 1700+ XP CPU generally run at 45 (just surfing) to 50C (gaming) all the time. I also notice that the default voltage for it comes up as 1.75V when I go into BIOS.

I've read that 50C is getting borderline for long term reliabiliy, and that Athlons typically run at 1.5 to 1.6V. Should I be concerned?

Well, if the CPU blows, then I just got my excuse to go out and upgrade to a Barton, heh heh. :D

Joe

VisableAssassin

Nov 12, 2001
i was going to ask normal temps on air/water/or phaze change
however now looking at your post i see you are on air.
what heatsink are you useing? stock or aftermarket? if aftermarket what kind?
you can also get lower temps ont hat CPU by useing a larger heatsink. just to name a few
and alpha PAL-8045 with a 50cfm sunnon will do damn well as would a swiftech mcx 462+ with the same 50cfm sunnon..........ive used both with awsome results, or a thermalrite slk-900 (or is int 900U?) with a decent output fan like the 50cfm one mentioned above....ive never used one since i went from alpha/swiftech to water.

infinite012

Apr 23, 2003
What CPU do you have? There's a palomino, Tbred A, or Tbred B. The A's and B's usually have 1.5 to 1.6v for vcore, but all asus mobo's overvolt by about 0.05v just for stability.

VisableAssassin: SLK-900(u) - it won't fit on the A7N8X Deluxe unless you bend a few capacitors.

If you want a high quality heatsink/fan combo, then go with what VisableAssassin said with the alpha PAL or a SLK-800(a) or SLK-800(u) <--800(u) is the bolt on type so you have to remove your motherboard from the case.

jlee1060: Don't worry about your temps unless they get up to the 60s. Another thing you might want to try is using some AS3 or AC.

VisableAssassin

Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: infinite012
What CPU do you have? There's a palomino, Tbred A, or Tbred B. The A's and B's usually have 1.5 to 1.6v for vcore, but all asus mobo's overvolt by about 0.05v just for stability.

VisableAssassin: SLK-900(u) - it won't fit on the A7N8X Deluxe unless you bend a few capacitors.

If you want a high quality heatsink/fan combo, then go with what VisableAssassin said with the alpha PAL or a SLK-800(a) or SLK-800(u) <--800(u) is the bolt on type so you have to remove your motherboard from the case.

jlee1060: Don't worry about your temps unless they get up to the 60s. Another thing you might want to try is using some AS3 or AC.

thanks for clearing up the asus slk-900 for me :)
i dont use asus mobos...onlyt heir vid card so i didnt know that :)

jlee1060

Jul 21, 2003
How can I tell which XP core I have? Do I have to look for some marking on the CPU itself? I'm just waiting to spring for Barton, so not too concerned about the life anyway.

I just added a 2nd fan to the front, and that lowered the temps by about 5C. Also, I'm running a Coolermaster on the CPU. Don't know model number since I got it free hand me down from a friend.

What are the popular CPU air coolers that will fit nicely on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB? Looking for something relatively quiet since I just switched out all my fans & PSU for less noise. Thanks!

Joe

infinite012

Apr 23, 2003
Palomino = Square
TBred A = rectangle
TBred B = rectangle

The hard part is telling the difference between a TBred A and B, unless you take the heatsink off the CPU. TBred A - the code on the little black sticker will be something like

AXDA1700DxT3C xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxA xxxxxxxx mc 1999 AMD

The "x"s represent random numbers and letters that you do not need to worry about. For TBred B, just change the bolded A to a B and you know you have a B.

I hope this doesn't confuse you too much.

The easier way is to just look at CPUID. Give us the family/model/stepping numbers and it'll be so much easier.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
J,

I have a 1700+ @ 2.4ghz on a Vantec AeroFlow, most will tell you the SLK-800/900 is the way to go..

For the most part it is, but my Vantec is keeping that CPU at 37-40C Idle and no higher than 45 load...

50 C at stock speed seems warm, but that really doesn't matter because AMD states that it's chips are good until 90 C....

Try and stay below 60 for sure...

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: jlee1060
According to my ASUS utility (A7N8X Deluxe MB), my Athlon 1700+ XP CPU generally run at 45 (just surfing) to 50C (gaming) all the time. I also notice that the default voltage for it comes up as 1.75V when I go into BIOS.

I've read that 50C is getting borderline for long term reliabiliy, and that Athlons typically run at 1.5 to 1.6V. Should I be concerned?

Well, if the CPU blows, then I just got my excuse to go out and upgrade to a Barton, heh heh. :D

Joe

50 is more than fine. Some folks IDLE at 55. Plus you might really be only at 45 depending on how accurate the temp reading is (on die, on mobo etc)

BJC's correct though - it will handle up to 90-95 without burning so below 60 is definately fine - anything above that might not be immediately damaging but it probably means you need to reseat your HSF and maybe put some more flow on that thing too.