Type of screw?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I'm in the middle of disassembling a laptop and I've come across a type of screw that is very difficult to remove. It looks like a standard small Phillips head screw only the head is completely flat and it seems that the hole is not deep enough for any standard Philips head driver to fit in there. The very point of the driver will fit in but not enough to grip anything. The only thing I can think of is using a nano sized slot head screw driver but I don't have one small enough. Anyone seen this kind before? I've seen this type in taking apart some other piece of hardware once too.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Use a small flathead?

Wish I had one small enough. I'd need one with a head no wider than about 2mm.

know anybody with eyeglass screw driver kit? That could solve your problem pretty quickly.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
look up frearson bits...i think this is what they are

Hmm that does look more like what I'm seeing. Why would a laptop use this kind of screw though? Usually they use more common tamper proof types like torx and others.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Pozidriv?

No it's a perfect cross shape. In fact it seems to be a 100% perfect cross. Besides if it was Pozidriv a normal Philips head would usually work with a bit more effort.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
Go to Lowes, HD, sears, wherever. Pick up a $10 jewelers screwdriver kit. I've used mine on soo many occasions, perfect for little screws like this.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
look up frearson bits...i think this is what they are

Hmm that does look more like what I'm seeing. Why would a laptop use this kind of screw though? Usually they use more common tamper proof types like torx and others.

Must have had a lot of frearsons lying around when they built it :roll:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
Go to Lowes, HD, sears, wherever. Pick up a $10 jewelers screwdriver kit. I've used mine on soo many occasions, perfect for little screws like this.

Thanks I'll look into that!

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
I had to get a special small Phillips for my Sony Vaio laptop. It is marked PHOOx75. It is a tip size #00x 2mm.Linkto my screwdriver and the company that manufactures them.