Two thirds of Americans in Constitution free zones.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Because of my and my family's physical appearance, they asked if we were US residents and let us go on our way.

That is quite terrible. May I ask why you are certain that appearance was their reason for asking that question?

At checkpoints they ask everybody if they are US citizens. Dark hair/dark skin nets a more thorough questioning and can get your car searched. I'm whiter than McCain so I haven't had problems at the checkpoints, other than that the checkpoints exist and fuckup traffic.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
HAHA its the ACLU! The most anti-American establishment known to man!

You can say that but the aclu also stands up for all kinds of minority right which the majority (which can include you and I) may not agree with and would probably get trampled.

On this issue I agree with the aclu on the 100 mile security zone. That zone should be at the border not 100 miles inland. That is police territory.

That was my horrible attempt at sarcasm. :(

Sorry I misunderstood.

There's a lot of people who hurl abuse at the aclu without realizing the aclu takes up obscure issues which are unpopular and wouldn't be taken on by anyone. I don't like a lot of the issues but I respect the fact that they are standing up for the little guy.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So this is comprehensive immigration reform eh?

They need more tax dollars people, takes money to expand this enforcement.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
So this is comprehensive immigration reform eh?

They need more tax dollars people, takes money to expand this enforcement.

No, bigots who live far from the border and don't have to live with the border war killed comprehensive reform. DHS is awash in money for this kind of crap.

Side note: If you look at the placement of the permanent checkpoints, the main function is not to keep Mexicans in Mexico but to keep Mexicans from leaving the agricultural areas dependent on their labor.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
This is why those of us in Northern VA are forced to carry our "papers" everywhere we go... :confused:

xochi

Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: ironwing
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Because of my and my family's physical appearance, they asked if we were US residents and let us go on our way.

That is quite terrible. May I ask why you are certain that appearance was their reason for asking that question?

At checkpoints they ask everybody if they are US citizens. Dark hair/dark skin nets a more thorough questioning and can get your car searched. I'm whiter than McCain so I haven't had problems at the checkpoints, other than that the checkpoints exist and fuckup traffic.

I grew up in South Texas and there have always been checkpoints about 50 miles inland at least as far as i can remember. (i'm 40) In the 70's 80's they were more carefree, portable buildings, haphazard hours, shutting down and leaving when it rains etc. In the 90's they became standard checkpoints always open 24hours. I beleive this was to combat drugs more than anything.

They appeared to look for suspicous activity and ask a few standard questions; Everyone in the car a US citizen? where are you coming from? where are you going? drug dogs are close by to get a quick sniff of wheels and the undercarriage of vehicles. I would still guess that catching drugs is the highest priority.

Never had an issue myself, but going 100 miles inland seems a bit much.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
-snip-
That zone should be at the border not 100 miles inland.

Yes, it should.

But too often the people who oppose real border control will agree with the aclu on this activity within our borders.

So, taken as a whole their position appears to be they want open borders and no control on immigration, legal or illegal.

If the border were fixed I don't believe we'd need road blocks inland to catch illegal immigrants and/or drug shipments originating from Mexico.

The article is amusing in it's *spin* etc, even though it's clearly about border security (or rather lack thereof) and illegal immigration and drug shipments these are not mentioned once. It's totally slanted as if the whole point is to harrass citizens.

And "Constitution free zone", is that hyperbole? Are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and so on being violated, or is it just claims about one Amendment - the 4th? Shouldn't it be entitled "4th Amendment free zone"? Guess that just doesn't the *marketing zing* the aclu is looking for. Too many people don't what the 4th is.

Fern