Question Two Simple Ethernet / RJ45 Questions

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
1) 20 ft long CAT 6 or CAT 7 cable running from router needs to be 6 ft longer via extension. Typical connection is ~960MB/s. How much speed will the extension cost? My assumption is 1-2 MB/s = negligible, yes?

2) Has anyone ever tried one of those RJ45 to USB (female) to add another USB port to a laptop? Does it work?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
USB and ethernet don't work like that.

Ethernet is to be deployed according to "the standards". It either works, or it doesn't. It's not like techs that probe the line and adjust the bandwidth dynamically. It's not like you'll just "shave a few mbit/sec" off of the connection, with an extension. Most likely, you'll just geta spotty connection, with a bunch of bad packets, which have to be re-transmitted. You'll get rubberbanding during online MMO gaming, since they use UDP.

I've never seen a ethernet RJ45 to female USB adaptor, unless you're talking about a print server. Why not use a small USB hub instead, on an existing USB port?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Cheap and work well. Doesn't need to be expensive or complicated. Since most of us have a drawer full of short cables on hand sometimes it's makes more sense than adding yet another cable to the pile. Basically a wall jack without the wall.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008

I just bought few 2 days ago. They are good. I have a cat6 roll. Sometimes I make my own cables with custom lengths, or just buy a pre-made one with appropriate length. Depends on the actuall need and my mood at the time.

I haven't done ethernet to USB but I have done the opposite and the opposite works. Like the guys said though, it should work but why not USB hub?