Two of the COOLEST books I have ever read

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Spending all day on airplanes and in airports gives one some good reading time . . . so here are some mini reviews of what I read.

This Far, No Further, by John Wessel.

A very dark mystery . . . if you like the Prey series by John Sandford or Patterson's Alex Cross books, this should be right up your alley - but be warned. It's a little nasty in some points. There's a sequel called "Pretty Ballerina" that I definitely plan to pick up ASAP.

Shadows Bend, by David Barbour and Richard Raleigh

The fictional (we hope) adventures of H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard when the two men discover that the things of which they write may not be as imaginary as they think . . .

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'd have to say the best book I have ever read is Imajica by Clive Barker. What a story! I had no idea what would happen next, it was completely unpredictable, and I appreciate that in a book. Currently, I am reading Timeline by Michael Crichton, which is also turning out to be a great book.

Anyone else read either of these books?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nate, I never read Imajica, but if it's half as good as The Great and Secret Show and it's sequel (forget what it's called), it's worth a look. I'll have to check it out. It doesn't have Harry D'Amour in it, does it? ;) He's my favorite Clive Barker character.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I read Flowers for Algeron a while ago, really cool book. It's a fairly short and easy read but it's very interesting, in the plot and the way it's written.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I love Thief of Always by Clive Barker, and Alas, Babylon by some guy i forget his name.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
My favorites are Deverry series by Katherine Kerr. She uses reincarnation so that a character who dies in one book resurfaces in another after rebirth.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
XeroxMan,

Sorry no Harry D'Amour in Imajica. If you do decide to go and buy it (or take it out from the library, whatever!), make sure you buy/get the older version that is about a thousand pages. They have split it up into two books, as of late. Once you read the first "book" you will definately want to read the second.

As for the sequel of The Great and Secret Show, its Everville. Not bad, but not as strong as the first "book of the art". Imajica leans much more towards a "fantasy" storyline than TGASS or Everville.

If you like books based on science/physics, definately check out the Crichton book I mentioned above.