Two Laptop questions...

PCBliss

Golden Member
Jan 6, 2004
Ive got a compaq presario widescreen notebook which has integrated intel extreme graphics. its supposed to be able to share up to 64mb, but in bios it says 32mb and wont let me change it....

Also, is there any way to make the battery power icon in the taskbar display the percentage of battery life so i dont have to hover the pointer over it to see how much battery life is remainging?

TIA!

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I don't think there is an option to display percentage remanining, but download Speedswitch XP (google it) and not only will that allow you to TRULY control your power settings, but it has options for percentage tray icons.

In regards to Intel's craptacular graphics, I've heard of some people having trouble with the BIOS options for it; they seem to not be there sometimes. Maybe update your BIOS if there is a new one, otherwise deal with it. IMO system RAM is more valuable for that laptop than the memory shared to the SUPER EXTREME AMAZINGLY HORRIBLE Intel graphics.

Bertzmaru

Jan 25, 2005
how much ram do you have in your laptop??.... if you only have 256 it wont let you go to 64 until you add more ram....

trungthiendo

Mar 8, 2004
no need to increase the video ram from 32 mb to 64mb...i doubt you'll be able to play any kind of games on that stuff

Intel Extreme Graphics is the worse...i rather have mx400 instead

Bertzmaru

Jan 25, 2005
i have the intel extreme graphics 2 and it plays counter strike online at 72fps... and i play unreal tournament at 67fps.......

PCBliss

Golden Member
Jan 6, 2004
my laptop has 512mb. I would like to bump it up to 64mb video ram somehow. i can play some games like hitman, etc. and it would work better with little more video ram. Maybe it wont go to 64mb unless i get a gig of system ram

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
That would be my recommendation. Put in at least another 256MB stick; 768MB is almost as good as 1GB and definitely cheaper ;)

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
if its ixg2 then the amount of ram used is flexible with the amount needed. i.e. my aopen 1551 goes from 9-64mb depending on what its doing. As for battery in time remaining it must be supported in the bios or it will show % this goes for speedswitch also