Two computers, two networks, strange problems

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I have two computers I'm trying to network together, a desktop and an HTPC. Both are running Vista Ultimate. The HTPC has a wired connection to a Belkin wireless G router and wired patch connection to the desktop. The desktop uses a wireless USB adapter for the router and the wired patch to the HTPC.

So here's the strange problem; Both computers show they're shared on the wired connection however when I attempt to transfer any files it does so via the wireless connection. If I disable the wireless connection on my desktop for example the HTPC disappears from my network locations. However... the HTPC still responds to ping from the desktop.

So, any suggestions here?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You can not use two NICs on one computer (does not matter wired or Wireless) configured as one network.

Configure the wired connection as a second Network and Bridge the two NICs.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.c...-1235ba2e146d1033.mspx

Note, the warning in the yellow box holds on the above page is valid only if one NIC is connected directly to a Modem. if the user is on a Router it is Not an issue.

Leave the Connection between the computer and the Router as is.

Assign a static IP of a different subnet to the wire NIC and the HTPC.

E.g. If the Wireless part is 192.168.111.x assigne the wire NIC and the HTPC 192.168.222.x

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Both NIC's on both computers are configured as different networks. I let DCHP from the wireless router handle both computers for the router end of things. For the wired computer to computer connection I have both computers set up with static IP address. The IP address are 192.168.x.xxx for the router end of things and 169.254.x.xxx for the gigabit connection between computers.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
169.254.x.xxx is No good, it is the default when Windows can Not assign a valid IP.

Configure the two NICs manually (before Bridging) to 192.168.Y.x

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Windows doesn't like having more than one network connection. Only use one at a time.

You can have both but it gets complicated and there isn't really any reason to do so.