Two 802.11ac bridges to replace Powerline?

LrsK

Jul 9, 2007
I have so far spread my home network by using Powerline plugs, which works pretty well. The Powerline units state that they support up to 200 Mbps, however I have never experienced more than about 30 Mbps for some reason. This is holding me back from my 100 Mbps internet connection, and so I'm looking for a replacement.

I live in a building with brick and concrete walls, and have therefore stayed away from wireless solutions. What I'm wondering though, is if a couple of 802.11ac bridges would solve the problem. All I am really looking to do is provide two rooms with the full 100Mbps internet connection. One of them has the internet router, so its fine, but the other is behind a thick brick wall and a closet full of clothes and misc stuff.

The reason I don't want to go with a 802.11ac router and a 802.11ac bridge, is the price of these AP-units are quite high, about 200USD. I also have some devices that only support 802.11g/n (2.4GHz only I think) and so it would probably be unnecessary to have a 802.11ac access point anyway. This, with the fact that I don't know how much the signal will degrade on the other side of the wall, has made me skeptical of a wireless solution.

Has anyone tried a similar setup, and if so, what hardware have you used? Another thing I'm curious of is: if I did go with the 802.11ac router+bridge solution, will a multi-band router, that provides both 2.4 GHz g/n and 5GHz ac, take a performance hit over a router that provide only 5GHz ac?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
This is a possibility, I even have the tools I need. I was hoping for a less intrusive solution though. :)

You could use 2 AC routers as bridges, but get a multi antenna one. Also, 2.4GHz penetrates a lot better than 5GHz. Honestly, drill a hole.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I'm curious of is: if I did go with the 802.11ac router+bridge solution, will a multi-band router, that provides both 2.4 GHz g/n and 5GHz ac, take a performance hit over a router that provide only 5GHz ac?

ac Wireless Router are also g/n so One can try the all possible configuration.

That said, "Bricks, Walls" etc. are Nice words, in vivo one place is Electronically different than another. I.e, in order to know for sure, you have to try it in your specific environment.

:cool:

XeonHacker

May 21, 2015
There are models out there that are capable of 1800mbps, probably close to less than 200mbps in real life for home plug