Twitter permanently bans Gay Conservative Milo Yiannopoulos for mocking a Ghostbuster

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Am I right in understanding that he got banned because of what others said to the actress? He did not say anything to get him banned, but twitter is saying that he encouraged people to target her?

Is there a tweet where he said to harass her?

That's how I'm understanding it. Other people tweet mean things to her, compare her to a gorilla, etc.

Milo comes in later with a tweet saying basically if you're famous you're going to get hate mail so tough ca-ca.

AFAIK he didn't engage in the abuse himself or call for it. His tweet certainly didn't help the situation but I don't know if it really egged on the people who were abusing either.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Threads like this really should come with trigger warnings. They have a knack for getting the conservative OWMSJWs all hot and bothered. Imagine how much their work productivity would increase if they knew before hand that the content of such threads was going to render them helpless all day long.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't think its weird. One can be both conservative and gay especially on economic issues or the overall power of the government. See Log Cabin republicans. Of course they get shit on every convention in the platform.

Of course that you can be conservative and gay, Milo certainly has "issues" though.

He's the epitome of Moonies self hate thing on that subject.

VtPC83

Mar 5, 2008
Milo fulfills a very vital role to discussions on important topics in the media. He provides the counter point to many other arguments. If you can't see that and only recognize him as a troll then you would have no problem with him being blacklisted from Twitter, it is infact a really terrible thing to do since it silences a valid view of many topics.

He creates dialog, plain and simple. He is the other side of the coin to many discussions. To remove that side of the coin is detrimental.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Milo fulfills a very vital role to discussions on important topics in the media. He provides the counter point to many other arguments. If you can't see that and only recognize him as a troll then you would have no problem with him being blacklisted from Twitter, it is infact a really terrible thing to do since it silences a valid view of many topics.

He creates dialog, plain and simple. He is the other side of the coin to many discussions. To remove that side of the coin is detrimental.

I think that he's a troll and have no problem with him being removed from Twitter for it, so I guess at least one of your points there is right.

I disagree with pretty much all of your other points.

Oct 16, 1999

He's a professional asshole and nothing more.

VtPC83

Mar 5, 2008
Don't misunderstand me, he can be a troll at times and can be an asshole but I still think he brings to light a valid opposing viewpoint on a lot of progressive topics.

To remove him from a very public domain that often is a starting point for these types of discussions does a disservice to the discussion.

You can't just have one point of view on major topics.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
I'm thinking about starting an online course for Hollywood on how to deal with "cyberbullying" and trolling. I wonder how much I could charge?

Yes you can, and people with ideas that can't withstand criticism wouldn't have it any other way.

Oct 16, 1999
Don't misunderstand me, he can be a troll at times and can be an asshole but I still think he brings to light a valid opposing viewpoint on a lot of progressive topics.

To remove him from a very public domain that often is a starting point for these types of discussions does a disservice to the discussion.

If all you do is take the asshole contrarian view on every issue you're bound to be right at least at some point to at least some degree. He contributes to the world exactly as much as a broken clock.

VtPC83

Mar 5, 2008
Welsh - You understand that there are MANY MANY MANY other trolls and assholes on twitter who haven't been banned, and from what I gather many of those happen to be on the other side of political fence to this guy? This appears politically motivated which is the major complain.

You can't be in this type of discussion without occasionally stepping on people's toes, or as you put it, trolling or being an arshole. Others do the same thing, many from the other side politically, if you are going to do this to him then you need to apply the same logic to them.

Also, as a side, I'm pretty sure he didn't actually say anything on Twitter itself about Jones that would be classified as hateful. He wrote a tough review of the movie but it wasn't on twitter.

Gonad - Parse out the way he speaks and his points become valid. Look past the language and at the actual message. He brings up valid points. Doing this with language is vital to hearing the message of anyone who is political or operates in the political theatre.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
At the end of the day, it's really up to Twitter to decide what is and isn't acceptable behavior on their platform per the terms of their user agreement. They have apparently repeatedly felt that this asshole was in violation of those terms, not just in this scenario. So much so, that he's been previously banned/warned for said offenses. Let's not act like he's the victim here. Or that it's not well within Twitter's right to do as they see fit with their platform. If you disagree, you're free to protest by not supporting their service.

Free speech indeed.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Meh. Twitter is for twits who cannot think for themselves. Hell, it's right there in the name.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
You understand that there are MANY MANY MANY other trolls and assholes on twitter who haven't been banned, and from what I gather many of those happen to be on the other side of political fence to this guy? This appears politically motivated which is the major complain.

I really don't think you're understanding how this works. Using extant power structures to suppress discourse is a terrible thing only when the wrong people do it. See also, everyone in this thread coming up with reasons that they don't care that he was suspended from twitter.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

This theory presupposes the notion that there really are 2 sides to every story. That is a complete myth and really isn't couched in general logic, much less reality.

Simply because someone provides a different perspective on an idea, doesn't make their perspective valid by simple virtue of having it. Having a poisoned, destructive perspective on a topic adds nothing to a worthwhile discussion.

Extreme example:

Topic: The Holocaust was a very bad thing for large swaths of European populations.
Counter point: ...Maybe it wasn't?

Obviously some topics and discussions have useful counterpoints and are worthy of discussing and examining various perspectives. But quite clearly, this is not universally true.

It is the old "fair and balanced" myth championed by Fox News: No, every story absolutely does not have two sides.

If this guy (whom I've never heard of) is only serving to troll and poison discussions simply for the sake of "offering his perspective," then he offers absolutely nothing of value to anyone. In fact, this behavior serves to poison the well and absolutely retard progress.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
And he got booted for being a troll and an arsehole. So what's the problem?

So maybe he needs to learn to express his views without trolling or being an arsehole?

I think they are expanding this into Youtube. I could see Argon, Thunderfoot, Bearing, The Amazing Athiest and Armoured Skeptic getting banned in the not too distant future. They are cracking down on response videos (which are by far the most entertaining and enlightening for me). I believe the new rules are along the lines that if the response video hurts the targets feelings, the poster can be banned.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Welsh - You understand that there are MANY MANY MANY other trolls and assholes on twitter who haven't been banned, and from what I gather many of those happen to be on the other side of political fence to this guy? This appears politically motivated which is the major complain.

You can't be in this type of discussion without occasionally stepping on people's toes, or as you put it, trolling or being an arshole. Others do the same thing, many from the other side politically, if you are going to do this to him then you need to apply the same logic to them.

Also, as a side, I'm pretty sure he didn't actually say anything on Twitter itself about Jones that would be classified as hateful. He wrote a tough review of the movie but it wasn't on twitter.

Gonad - Parse out the way he speaks and his points become valid. Look past the language and at the actual message. He brings up valid points. Doing this with language is vital to hearing the message of anyone who is political or operates in the political theatre.

Are there any statistics as to which types of posters most often get banned from Twitter? Because without them, there is no case to be made that Twitter is banning people in a politically biased manner. A singular case proves absolutely nothing.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
He's a troll, but just not supportive of the 'correct' causes.

You can advocate for the murder of white people, for the gang rape of Sarah Palin and so on without having your twitter account banned, but say things not approved by the politically correct left and your account will get banned in short order for violation of terms of service.

Twitter doesn't matter much to me, but it is an influential platform and this kind of double standard bullshit gets old fast. The same is happening on facebook and other social media.

They literally said the ban was due to harassment. You would think people who can type can also read.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
More Leslie Jones and less Milo Yiannopoulos makes this world a better place.

really? this is what the world needs more of?

CnyE0lgWIAApURY.jpg:large

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Free speech issue?

It's a social issue. An issue of free speech would be if you said something, and then you were sent off to the gulag.

Being a dick on an internet toy, then having that toy taken away from yer grubby lil' hands, isn't an attack on free speech.

It is, read what I said again.

Its a free speech issue, but its not a first amendment issue. Obliviously too hard of a concept for you too grasp.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
He's a professional asshole and nothing more.
The people responding to this thread demonstrate the hypocrisy of the left. Diversity is required by the left. But if you belong to one of the "disenfranchised groups" represented by diversity, but don't accept their group think mantra, you are labelled, called names like an "Uncle Tom" and lose your rights.

You people make Senator McCarthy look like Mother Theresa.