Twitch Hacked?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just got notification of log in to my twitch account from buffalo and then Ottawa. Logged into my twitch account and did a quick password change.

Has anyone heard of some type of twitch account hacks going on? I use Google passwords to manage and create most of my online passwords, so I can't even say for sure what my old password was.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Sometimes websites see my IP address as being in Texas because that is my ISP headquarter's location. I'm in WV so if it doesn't show as WV or TX them I'm going to assume that my account has been hacked.

I keep a list of all usernames, passwords, security questions, and other info from when I created the account. I also enter this info in my password manager keepass. This is important since I may need to verify more info than my email/username and password to reclaim access to my account. Not only that but that other verification info may have been used to compromise my account. Honestly I would change my email password and security questions and my twitch password and security questions just to be safe. If I logged on to twitch by other methods like facebook I would change their password and questions.

You can also enable Two-Factor Authentication in twitch in Settings - Security and Privacy if you think that that would help.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The IPs listed in the log in were vastly different. Odd thing, believe the buffalo location was listed with an IP that looked like what youd see from something in your hone network.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure but I had mine hacked like six months ago.was a bit interesting and partially my fault. Didn't have two form....ect on my end.

But they didn't really do anything either. No trying to change password or info

In fact all they did was use my prime sub on some Russian streamer and followed a couple too

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
Yes I received a message a few weeks ago that someone from India logged into my account. I'm from iowa. Not India.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I got a notice of a new account login from South America a few weeks back. Ended up changing my password. Got another new login notice from China over the weekend. Changed my password again and enabled 2FA.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I remember getting a notice a long time ago, so I just closed my account. I don't watch Twitch streamers and I honestly don't even remember making the account. Solved easily enough.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Never realized it was owned by Amazon, though I've never actually used it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Never realized it was owned by Amazon, though I've never actually used it.
You get free stuff if you're an Amazon Prime member and sign up for Twitch Prime through your Amazon account. The games are usually garbage indie games that you'd never buy otherwise and most of the free in-game stuff is cosmetics but every once in a while they throw you something decent.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Got this today

Hello lupi,

Your security is important to us. As a part of helping you keep your account safe, we regularly monitor logins looking for suspicious activity. Based on this monitoring, we believe an unauthorized person has tried to access your account.

Your account is secure because you enabled two-factor authentication, but we strongly suggest that you change your password the next time you log in.

There has been no security issue with Twitch. This unauthorized party guessed or obtained your password via some other means. Some techniques include using malicious software to capture a user’s keystrokes, trying common or reused passwords, and sending fraudulent emails to request account information.