Twinhan HDTV Tuner Card $29.99 plus $8 shipping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spelvin

Oct 11, 2006
Tegeril -> my bad yes, it si an OTA HDTV card which is ATSC.

Deansdad -> WOW! that is going to be a heck of a setup. I am just running a basic HTPC with a Twinhan 1020 DVB card and a Kworld ATSC card (because the Kworld was cheap at the time and the Twinhan was not.) going to the Infocus sp4805. Now the only thing I can really comment on is that some people have a difficult time getting two of the same card running and recording in a windows PC. Most of the reviews I read while looking for a card went to forums where people were running the Kworld ot Twinhan as a second card to a much higher grade primary card. I believe it is like Demon pointed out a BT878 which is how it should be recognized by windows, so when you put two into a system the WMA drivers can not address them individually. So honestly I do not believe it will function the way you want it to. For the price though it would be hard to beat. Also how many stations can you pull OTA?

AAman

Golden Member
May 29, 2001
thanks- exactly what I was looking for so my family can use those lcd monitors I gave 'em for Xmas as tvs :)

deansdad

Oct 27, 2004
spelvin - thanks for the comments. Ordered a couple to try (for the price<g>) how bad can it be?....I'm still putzin with the idea of tuner cards in more than one box so maybe that'll work around the "two of the same" issue, maybe not. My main box (will be server if it goes according to current plan) has a Haup WinTV 1600 and another box an old ATI AIW. I'm still lost in the QAM/digital/analog/HD quagmire trying to get a handle on the terminology and what works with what. Only started to play with OTA when I got the HDHomeRun. Apparently there are about a dozen locals within spittin' distance although some VHF, some UHF...past plugging in a 29 cent antenna scavenged from a 20 year old portable (which actually worked<g> will have to wait. As I said current main TV isn't HD anyway so for the time being (at least) I can keep that part off my plate and concentrate on SD and the HTPC/PVR (on the theory that you don't miss what you never had<g>>.
Anyway, thanks again for the help. Now all I need is the time to play with all the parts.

deansdad

Oct 27, 2004
spelvin - thanks for the comments. Ordered a couple to try (for the price<g>) how bad can it be?....I'm still putzin with the idea of tuner cards in more than one box so maybe that'll work around the "two of the same" issue, maybe not. My main box (will be server if it goes according to current plan) has a Haup WinTV 1600 and another box an old ATI AIW. I'm still lost in the QAM/digital/analog/HD quagmire trying to get a handle on the terminology and what works with what. Only started to play with OTA when I got the HDHomeRun. Apparently there are about a dozen locals within spittin' distance although some VHF, some UHF...past plugging in a 29 cent antenna scavenged from a 20 year old portable (which actually worked<g> will have to wait. As I said current main TV isn't HD anyway so for the time being (at least) I can keep that part off my plate and concentrate on SD and the HTPC/PVR (on the theory that you don't miss what you never had<g>>.
Anyway, thanks again for the help. Now all I need is the time to play with all the parts.

Matt L

Oct 10, 1999
Just picked up a 17" widescreen monitor for my kitchen and picked up one of these to go with it. Hope it works with my setup. I'm almost tempted to grab a second one but I'll wait to see how this one works out.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I take it this card does not support hardware encoding?

Does anyone know if this card is supported by dscaler for use with hdtv.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I got the card and so far I cant even get the drivers loaded. It finds something but doesn't install three other components. I've tried the drivers on the cd as well as downloading them from their site:(

If anyone gets it to work let me know.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Hmmm, I just looked at Twinhan's website and I can't find the product listed anymore. This product was known as the 3250 and the driver/software I am using with WinXP is TwinhanDTV 2.65 Build 01-02.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Will probably be returning this card. It just doesn't seem to respond well when I try to change channels. I also can't exit the program unless I force an exit by ending the program. I'm running it on a 2 GHz system.

On the plus side, it was nice to get 18 channels, instead of the 6 I was used to. However, I think I might be better of returning it, and looking for a good deal on an HDTV tuner card where everything is done in hardware, with less demands on the PC in software.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
>The DigitalTV 3.2 software works for me.

What's that? I did a search and didn't get a website or anything that seemed relevant...

MisterE

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2000
I've been playing around with this card in a PC running MythTV (MythDora 4.0). It seems to work ok. I've got a crappy ATSC antenna and get a weak signal on both this card and my KWorld ATSC-110, but the Twinhan seems to lock on a LOT better than the KWorld card. Not an issue for me because I normally use the KWorld card in QAM mode.

I haven't used the remote much, but it shows up as a USB keyboard in linux. Key presses on the remote are interpreted as various keyboard button presses.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
QAM is a tuner for unencrypted digital cable.

No QAM, no care.

Yeah, but what is unencrypted? Just the locals, and I could care less.

QAM is a non-issue IMHO. All the stuff you'd actually want to record is 5C encrypted and your expensive QAM-capable tuner will be rendered worthless.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Manual is WRONG in the Box
SOFTware is not there
No Drivers for Remote control
USB Remote listed unknown Driver!
It installed the Drivers for the Card
But no viewing Software

MisterE

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Mir96TA
Manual is WRONG in the Box
SOFTware is not there
No Drivers for Remote control
USB Remote listed unknown Driver!
It installed the Drivers for the Card
But no viewing Software

Mir96TA,

My card came with a quick install guide for a USB capture device and no guide for the PCI card, so you aren't the only one to receive incorrect packaging.

Since you mentioned having problems installing the USB remote receiver, I decided to try it on one of my Windows XP machines. I had the same problem that you describe when I connected it to the Windows XP PC. I did a quick Yahoo search for the problem and found a troubleshooting tip at Twinhan's website that suggests disconnecting and reconnecting the USB dongle, and also trying a different USB port. I plugged the USB dongle into a different port and Windows detected it properly (no extra drivers required). The remote now works as a funky keyboard.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: tfinch2
QAM is a tuner for unencrypted digital cable.

No QAM, no care.

Yeah, but what is unencrypted? Just the locals, and I could care less.

QAM is a non-issue IMHO. All the stuff you'd actually want to record is 5C encrypted and your expensive QAM-capable tuner will be rendered worthless.

Damn, I totally misunderstood this:(
This card is totally useless for me, I wanted something that would give me access to ota hdtv:(

MisterE

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2000
ivwshane,

this card is for Over-The-Air ATSC HDTV reception, so it shouldn't be useless for you. tfinch2 was lamenting the fact that the card doesn't support QAM, which is HDTV transmitted over cable television line.