Twice now, i've gotten on Flights with my Leatherman in my jacket pocket.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
my trust in airport security was lost last year when my friend got on an airplane with SOMEBODY else's ticket. totally different name for a totally different flight. the only way he found out was that when he was seated, the person who originally had the seat called the flight attendants to tell them that someone was in their seat.

Ymmy

Banned
Aug 3, 2003
It really depends on WHICH airport you went through. There is a HUGE difference between the security level at each airport. For example, LAX is a complete joke compared to KCI security.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst
I don't know about concealed carry on the plane, half the people I know that just carry their stupid glocks everywhere they go are just waited for any excuse to start shooting...bad move on a pressurized plane.

Maybe allow a special level of 'marksman' and these people get more gun rights. Doesn't make them 100% accurate, but make it so most people can't pass the the test.

Å

i think i saw a gunshot-through-the-window demonstration on mythbusters before... where they showed that the movies presented a hyperbole.. unless you had a cannon or a huge-caliber shotgun it wouldnt be that bad?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: Regs
The only problem giving pilots guns is if by chance the terrorist get a hold of those guns you are really screwed. A secured cockpit makes sense.

Airliners are not nearly as fragile as Hollywood would have you believe.

Personally I think concealed carry should extend to airports/airplanes.

Hijacking would be a non issue when you know that there are likely armed people on the plane who really don't feel like being hijacked.

Viper GTS

Well, the only bullet I know of that isn't supposed to penetrate the cabin of an airplane is the Glaser safety slug. It is designed to fragment easily on impact but will penetrate soft tissue with devestating results.

Any hard ball ammo will pass easily through the fuselage of an airplane depressurizing the cabin and possibly do quite a bit of damage to the plane in the process (there are many systems running through the fuselage that could cause big problems if hit by a bullet). I would have a real tough time firing a gun inside an airplane at 35,000 ft.

I also don't think the public (people with CCWs) should be allowed to carry loaded weapons on a plane.

fumbduck

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by: neovan
my trust in airport security was lost last year when my friend got on an airplane with SOMEBODY else's ticket. totally different name for a totally different flight. the only way he found out was that when he was seated, the person who originally had the seat called the flight attendants to tell them that someone was in their seat.

eh? explain further

Feb 10, 2000
Airport security is definitely an illusion, since it presumably only deters the most casual would-be hijacker (and really, how many of those are there?). At least it's not as laughable as it has been in the past (I used to fly through Newark every couple of weeks when I was in high school, and it was stunning how many of the security personnel didn't even speak English), but IMO it is still primarily there to make us feel better, rather than to provide any real protection. El Al's security rules probably have a more realistic deterrent effect, but I don't think we Americans are prepared to accomodate that level of intrusiveness (not to mention that if all airlines had similar rules, it would be all but impossible for Arab nationals and Arab-Americans to reliably travel on commercial airliners).

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Strip everybody, give them hospital gowns, and zero carry on. Even with that unless you went with "prison" type inspection a determined person could still smuggle something on.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
IMO the only thing that can stop a terrorist attack is information. If there is no information, then the attack will go through. Silly things like airport "security" checks exist only to please the general public and to make people think they're safe.
Good in theory, but it's impossible for us to know about every possible terrorist attack. I am comforted knowing that somebody can't simply bring an AK 47 in through check in (well, in most cases. I'm sure if you tried enough times one of them would miss it). So, basic security is better than nothing. At least you have to try and put in effort to bring on a weapon, but I still think that the pilots should be armed with locked down, reinforced, cockpit doors.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
I don't know about concealed carry on the plane, half the people I know that just carry their stupid glocks everywhere they go are just waited for any excuse to start shooting...bad move on a pressurized plane.

Maybe allow a special level of 'marksman' and these people get more gun rights. Doesn't make them 100% accurate, but make it so most people can't pass the the test.

Å

In reality, when the pucker factor enters the equation... well, the US Olympic pistol team is pretty darn good at making holes in paper close together, but paper doesnt shoot back, and it doesnt make you deal with adrenaline. I can think of a couple people that would spank most members of the Olympic pistol team in an actual gunfight in terms of accuracy (offhand, Cooper and Ayoob). How "expert" are these guys going to have to be? Make the quals equal to that of police officers? In shootouts cops average less than 1 hit in 5 shots.

Plus the effects of a <1" hole in an aircraft are vastly overestimated.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Mookow

In reality, when the pucker factor enters the equation... well, the US Olympic pistol team is pretty darn good at making holes in paper close together, but paper doesnt shoot back, and it doesnt make you deal with adrenaline. I can think of a couple people that would spank most members of the Olympic pistol team in an actual gunfight in terms of accuracy (offhand, Cooper and Ayoob). How "expert" are these guys going to have to be? Make the quals equal to that of police officers? In shootouts cops average less than 1 hit in 5 shots.

Plus the effects of a <1" hole in an aircraft are vastly overestimated.

It's what the *public* would want...they all fear getting sucked like jello through a straw out of a plane with even air marshalls on board.

If they did set up a test it would have to entail something similar to police training/military...mixed popups at different ranges and moving shooter/target. It's not something really feasible just an idea.

As far as cops and their accuracy, it's hard to shoot straight with donut glaze all over your fingers...give them a break ;).

&Aring;

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I actually went through airport security in San Diego a number of years ago with my carry on bag (which just happens to double as a shooting bag) and they asked me if they could look inside the bag. I said sure go right ahead. I almost died when they pulled out two fully loaded Colt magazines. I explained that I use that bag as a shooting bag and that I forgot they were in there. I thought for sure they were going to haul me away but they just told me that I couldn't take them on the plane so I had my wife pick them up on her way out (this was back in the day when non ticket holders could actually go up to the gates).

If that happened today I'd probably be detained and charged with something.
rolleye.gif

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Ymmy
It really depends on WHICH airport you went through. There is a HUGE difference between the security level at each airport. For example, LAX is a complete joke compared to KCI security.

KCI sucks....

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If I were a terrorist, I'd go after a cargo plane nowdays anyway, virtually no security, same effect.