TV's in Waiting Rooms

Do you like the TV's in waiting rooms?

• Yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • What's a TV? (for the mostly tuned-out who also want the sound of silence)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
A fairly new trend this is. Gone are the days you could sit peacefully waiting for an oil change, or to be poked and prodded by a doctor. Now it's marketing, Dr. Oz in a doctor's office(!), or even movies as if you might as well realize you're going to be there for over two hours, but you missed the beginning of the flick.

There used to be National Geographics on tables with something fascinating inside. Now I'd like to use my phone in quietude, on AT, FB, or reading a book. Not anymore. :(

737397fe5a89c6edbd2a3a1d32dfbb6b--seinfeld-jerry-oconnell.jpg

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
A fairly new trend this is. Gone are the days you could sit peacefully waiting for an oil change, or to be poked and prodded by a doctor. Now it's marketing, Dr. Oz in a doctor's office(!), or even movies as if you might as well realize you're going to be there for over two hours, but you missed the beginning of the flick.

There used to be National Geographics on tables with something fascinating inside. Now I'd like to use my phone in quietude, on AT, FB, or reading a book. Not anymore. :(

737397fe5a89c6edbd2a3a1d32dfbb6b--seinfeld-jerry-oconnell.jpg
I can't remember a time when there weren't TVs in waiting rooms, especially the doctor's office. Maybe the military was ahead of its time. My dealership had ESPN on, which is always nice.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
OK I may have been too broad, "fairly" wasn't my savior. There was a big gap in my experience when I did my own work on my relatively simple cars, and hadn't needed medical care aside from dental checkups. Before, they weren't at my doc's (I don't remember when for the dentist's, but it came with flat screens). I didn't know about mechanics much except for tire changes. Now that I look back, I do remember a small TV. I watched it, it was decades before cell phones, and they only had a couple Car and Drivers I had already seen.

Kobota

Aug 5, 2003
One of my local restaurants plays a looping ad for themselves in the waiting area, come on now i'm already there, show me muted espn like every other place.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Better than trying to find a Magazine worth reading only to get interrupted halfway through. However, what is selected for you to watch can be an ordeal. S it's a mixed bag. Wouldn't want to be stuck watching Fox News or some crap. CNN Headline News(if it still exists) would be fine, just nothing filled with Commentary designed to piss you off or spun in such a way that it pisses you off to hear people trying to spin it.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Better than trying to find a Magazine worth reading only to get interrupted halfway through. However, what is selected for you to watch can be an ordeal. S it's a mixed bag. Wouldn't want to be stuck watching Fox News or some crap. CNN Headline News(if it still exists) would be fine, just nothing filled with Commentary designed to piss you off or spun in such a way that it pisses you off to hear people trying to spin it.
Global news is still on TV. Fat chance.

I like BBC, France24, Deutsche Welle, Newsline (Tokyo), and the CBC used to send a signal to the states. I still have their farewell on my DVR. So sad, some of the best in-depth reporting was on it.

All of these report like they're not beholden to advertisers, imagine, a story about the chemicals all around us, or the dangers of certain widespread, profitable ills (some addictive like sugar), or the realities of war. - more wind

Last edited:

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
You are doing it wrong. Whip out your cellphone with an IR blaster, and turn the thing off. This works especially well in hospitals where they've are all the same in the rooms. Just walk down the hall clicking power

Reactions: bradly1101

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Geez... I remember TV's in hospital waiting rooms all the way back to the 80's. Nothing new there. Of course, the stuff they had on TV has better back then. A lot of hospital TV waiting rooms have their own custom content now, which basically boils down to advertising for medical supplies.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My doctors office waiting room TV plays drug ads non-stop. It's annoying as hell.

Nov 8, 2012
Depends... does the TV make people crowd around seats around it leaving empty ones with no one nearby for me to sit in? In that case, I love TVs!

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
It's odd but I've been to 3 dentist in the last 10 years and they all had large saltwater aquariums.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It's been wall to wall foxnews in every waiting room I recall for at least a decade.
On a rare occasion you'll find travel planet or some oddball.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
It's been wall to wall foxnews in every waiting room I recall for at least a decade.
On a rare occasion you'll find travel planet or some oddball.

My current doctor has CNN and the one before, had a cooking channel.