TVersity or PlayOn?

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
I wasn't sure if this should go in Console Gaming since it's about the PS3, but it's not about gaming.

I'm thinking about canceling DirecTV and go soley OTA and streaming. What I'm looking at mainly is Hulu and NetFlix compatibility since they seem to have everything I'm interested in watching. I installed PlayOn last night for the 14-day demo and so far it looks like it has potential. GUI is crap of course, but as long as I can get the shows then that's the main thing?

How does TVersity work with the PS3 compared to PlayOn? Can it do all of the same functionality? Any other options for getting streaming Hulu/Netflix to my TV?

Update:

Also, main things I watch right now (besides the random movies on Netflix) are the five national stations (cbs, nbc, abc, fox and wb). If I could get something that I could watch the last 2-3 episodes that would be great.

It would be 'nice' to be able to view some other stations, but I don't know if it's possible... FOOD, HGTV, Bravo, SyFy, FX, etc.

Last edited:

PrinceMyshkin

Aug 23, 2007
I use PlayOn with my PS3. I would highly recommend taking a look at the plugins/scripts at www.playonplugins.com (and www.playonscripts.com).

To be honest, I haven't used Tversity in awhile, but when I did PlayOn worked better. From what I've read recently, the general consensus is that is still the case.

I believe at some point the PS3 will support Hulu Plus without requiring PSN+ access and the Netflix capability (not needing a disc) will be implemented in a future firmware update.

Last edited:

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Also, main things I watch right now (besides the random movies on Netflix) are the five national stations (cbs, nbc, abc, fox and wb). If I could get something that I could watch the last 2-3 episodes that would be great.

It would be 'nice' to be able to view some other stations, but I don't know if it's possible... FOOD, HGTV, Bravo, SyFy, FX, etc.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
we've used playon for 6 or 8 months now on our modded xbox.

my only complaint is the lack of officially supported plugins. to me, they rely too much on the development community to write the plugins.

they've responded that they have plans to support more.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I use playon. I don't think that TVersity allows you to stream netflix or hulu, i think it's all PC to PS3 streaming of files, not web streaming.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I use playon. I don't think that TVersity allows you to stream netflix or hulu, i think it's all PC to PS3 streaming of files, not web streaming.

Tversity lets you stream Hulu and YouTube, but no Netflix.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
PlayOn... you can watch a lot more stuff with it from online content and stream via UPnP. Tversity is more of just streaming content on a local network via UPnP. At least that is what I'm currently using both for...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Out of curiosity, why not use the NetFlix disc to use NetFlix on your PS3?

I really can't give much advice on those two pieces of software... I did try PS3 Media Center, but that showed me one thing about using the PS3 as a streaming device... the XMB interface is god awful. It takes forever to scroll through a lot of files... to the point where I could've sat something weighted on the down arrow on my remote and walked away to do something useful before it reached my file.

Of course, that complaint isn't a big deal if you use a heavy amount of hierarchical folders, but if you just have a lot of top-level folders... it's not so great. Windows (XBOX) Media Center tends to be slightly easier since it uses a grid of 4xN so you technically always scroll 4 at a time. I actually kind of miss that aspect when I use XBMC, but at least that software works :p.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Out of curiosity, why not use the NetFlix disc to use NetFlix on your PS3?

It's really more of a convenience thing... I do like the Netflix disc format and it blows the PlayOn interface away, but I like not having to look for dvds whenever I want to use Netflix. Whenever they come out with an integrated option, I will definitely use that.