TV Tuner suggestion..

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Im not sure if this is the right section.. but i think it falls under Video and Graphics.

What im looking for is a TV Tuner (as suggested by the title) but i really have no idea on what to look for.

What i want: HD through antenna, Digital/Analog through cable. I dont mind switching connections if needed. Hopefully PCI-e x1 because i would love to use one of those. Other than that im up for suggestions. Price Ranger >90$ would be good also.

Here is the one i was thinking.. what do you all think?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
It doesn't seem like too bad a deal. You get QAM HD which is good and what I hear is you don't need Vista nor MCE in order to use it. ATi's 650 requires MCE or Vista for its QAM. I'm hawking this one too.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Good to hear, i guess i'll probably order that today then since it seems like a good price also.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
High Isolation A/B Switch $15
- switch between OTA and cable

HDTV Tuner Chart

Best Deal: FusionHDTV5 Gold RT $70 (log-in "to save"!)

You need to verify that the tuner card you select will handle Dolby AC3 audio and HDTV 'transport streams'

HDYV 'transport streams' are containers that include mepg2 video and AC3 audio.

I am a little concerned that the model you selected mentions neither the HDTV 'transport stream' nor Dolby AC3 audio ...

I am guessing you are using XP. Vista MCE is notorious in the buggy way it functions (or not!) with QAM ...

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Im actually using Vista.. As for everything you said about HDTV streams and Dolby AC3 audio.. i had no idea about any of that.

The one i linked to earlier does say it supports mpeg2, which i would assume includes the audio as it normally would.

If it helps at all, im USA and i have Digital TV through cable

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: coxmaster
Im actually using Vista.. As for everything you said about HDTV streams and Dolby AC3 audio.. i had no idea about any of that.

The one i linked to earlier does say it supports mpeg2, which i would assume includes the audio as it normally would.

If it helps at all, im USA and i have Digital TV through cable

With HD tuner cards be careful when you assume :)

You will not be able to receive upper tier digital cable which is encrypted with any tuner card. For that you will have to buy a pre-built OEM system that provides cablecard slots. Your service provider will provide the cablecard to you (for a fee)

QAM is unencypted digital cable.

Vista MCE has some 'issues' with QAM. MS does not support QAM in Vista MCE. A tuner like the Fusion (and others) will work fine within Vista itself, will work within Vista MCE with OTA and analog cable, and give you fits with cable QAM.

MS acknowledges this - but has not said when or how they plan to correct and improve it

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Upper Tier Digital Cable isnt high on my priority list :p my parents are cheap and have the basic cable plan.

Ive heard that the AverMedia software is surprisingly decent, and as long as its usable im willing to use that instead of the Media Center in Vista.

After rethinking some stuff.. is HD really worth it even on a PC? My monitor only supports 1680x1050 which is lower than 1080i/p would it just be easier and more effective to get a non HD card?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: coxmaster
Upper Tier Digital Cable isnt high on my priority list :p my parents are cheap and have the basic cable plan.

Ive heard that the AverMedia software is surprisingly decent, and as long as its usable im willing to use that instead of the Media Center in Vista.

After rethinking some stuff.. is HD really worth it even on a PC? My monitor only supports 1680x1050 which is lower than 1080i/p would it just be easier and more effective to get a non HD card?

Nope. :)

HD content will run at 1366x768 (720p).

Here is the "workaround" for hybrid tuners on MCE
http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/vistahdtvinstall.html

I'm thinkin' ... once you install an HD tuner in your rig with that Acer 22" Widescreen LCD - and go ""Wow! - you will then put the largest flat panel LCD (or plasma!) that you can afford on your wish list

Simple math:

720p = 1366x768 = 1049088 pixels

NTSC (standard def) = 720 x 480 = 345600 pixels

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Alright sounds good to me.. Workarounds are always nice, especially when they actually work! So basically as long as im patient and spend time making everything work i'll be alright with just about anything. THanks a lot heyheybooboo, you helped a lot!