TV Tuner for Direct TV

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'd like to get a TV tuner to hook up my desktop to Direct TV. I have a free PCI express 4x, 1x and a PCI slot for it. Looking to spend $50-$100. Thanks in advance.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
On my Direct TV setup the installation required using some kind of access card when they set up my Direct TV box. So you may need some kind of tuner which uses a card to set it up. Plus you would have to have permission from your satelite provider allowing the use of a card. Not all providers will allow this. I think Direct TV (Universe) does have an IP Delivered product also. Never tried it so I can not comment on its quality. As with all new products, it is hard to say how good it is. A lot may depend on your location.

You might also try using a device like a DVR with ethernet access.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Not possible. The last thing DirecTV or any dish provider is going to give you is direct access to their signal (not saying there aren't DBS tuner cards, but there aren't any for Dish or DirecTV because their signals are encrypted).

The only way you're going to do it is put a box near your computer and use a video capture card to capture off the box.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I have a box currently set up near the computer so that isn't an issue, but I need a capture card rather than a tv tuner?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I have a box currently set up near the computer so that isn't an issue, but I need a capture card rather than a tv tuner?

That's the ONLY way you're going to get a video feed from your box to your PC. Keep in mind that some of the channels are also going to use content protection (such as HBO in particular, etc), so they will block the video capture card from getting the signal.

To be honest, you'd be better off just getting a cheap 24" or 32" LCD TV (they could be had for about $150-200 now) instead of a $100 PVR card that isn't going to do you any good, set it on your desk next to your current monitor, use one of the inputs for your PC as a second monitor and one input for your DirecTV box, and just swap inputs for when you want to watch TV.

Your ONLY other option is going to be DirecTV Everywhere... but that's basically like Video on Demand. It won't let you watch live content, and it will only stream either what you have recorded on your DVR (if you have one) or download from the Video on Demand library for the channels you have access to. Last time I checked, it's MOSTLY premium channels like HBO, etc.

Last edited: