TV situation.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
So back in late 2007 or early 2008, I bought a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD. For the past 7 or so years, the 1080 and 120mhz picture has been more than enough for me, and is still enough. However, she is starting to act up a bit. Every couple days I will get some flashing dots on the screen. I fear she is starting to reach the end. So I think I will be looking at TV's over the next month or so. I don't watch a whole lot(maybe an hour a day, 2 if I am playing video games), so I am not in a big hurry.

The one thing I did not like about the TV is the laggyness of the menus. For instance when I wanted to change input, I would hit the input button, and it would take a few seconds to pop up. Then it would take a few seconds in between each push of the down or up arrow. And I would usually have to press the button a couple times to get it to actually go down or up.

Are TV's still like that? Are there certain brands that are faster than others? I am probably going to be looking for something in the 42"-46" range, in the form of a smart LED.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Yes, some TVs can still be laggy on the menu. But you mostly only see this with really cheap 60hz Wal-Mart TVs, because hey they are cheap.

If you buy anything that has at a least a decent picture quality (which admittedly is sometimes hard) it should be fine.

You didn't ask what TV we would recommend, but just in case if you want sub-50 inches again I would go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M551d-A2.../dp/B00CBQNB0C

Vizio and 120hz to me is the floor for picture quality unless you are buying for kids or parents.

If you want a larger size (above 50) and have a bigger budget say so and we can talk Sonys.

Edit: Also if you need a TV for a room with a direct light source (aka windows across from TV you won't put blinds on) then you have to hunt down a matte LED, which can be done but might be a PTA/pricy.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I would gladly accept recommendations, although I will still probably be doing some research. I am looking to stay below 50". Anything larger would look kind of ridiculous in the room it would be put in.

I saw an LG 47" smart LED 3D 120hz for like $800. I don't really want the 3D, but my wife likes 3D movies.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Depending on the model of LG it could be nice. Certain ones (like the 47GA6400 Best Buy sells) have really poor motion resolution.

The Visio is only $600 for 47inches, and has one of the best reviews for any TV near its price:

http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m551d-a2r/

To beat it in picture quality you would have to spend twice as much.

I am not a Visio rep or anything, heck I have never owned a Visio because I am a plasma guy. But if I was buying a 47 inch LED it would be that one.

Last edited:

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I always liked the picture on plasmas. They were too expensive when I bought my TV though. Looks like there are some nice ones for around the $1100 mark. Might be a little more than what I want to spend, but I will have to do some research to see if it is worth it.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
The lag shows up more if you buy a smart TV and use the on TV apps. Some cheaper ones use slow processors.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Can't go wrong with a 50" plasma for the price and picture quality.

If you have a bright room though, the glare is brutal. I have a panasonic plasma and watching blue rays in a dark room shows a downright fantastic picture. In the afternoon though it looks like a mirror. Still bright enough to view just fine, but the entire room is reflected in the thing. And thats with my model having a special coating to prevent glare.

I don't know if LED's are a lot better... i've heard they are but i don't know first hand.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Honestly my Samsung plasma (older 2010 model) does a better job with glare than my newer Panasonic plasmas (ST50, ST60).

I would recommend that TV to anyone unless it will be a throw away unit for the kids.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I'd recommend the 2014 ("B") Vizio E series LCD as a good baseline. They're *all* local dimmed now (even the higher-end sets from 2013 were edge-lit), though with a lot fewer zones than the awesome-specced 2014 M. And $700 for their 55" at Amazon is an excellent price.

No 3D, though, which IMO is fine.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
I didn't think about glare, but most of our TV watching/video game playing happens at night.

I will take a look at that link Thebobo, but as fantastic as the reviews and price might be, the wife will take more convincing to bypass 3D.