TV out not working with ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo

MacBoy

Mar 19, 2007
Hi everyone. My first post here.
I`ve just assembled my first HTPC. But I cant get it to use with a tv. Here`s the specs:-

-Asus MM2NPV VM Mobo with builtin nvidia 6150 grafix chipsets. It has on board TV and HDTV outputs

-Athlon 3000+
-512MB Ram, Win XP Pro (SP2).

I have tried both the S video and comosite outputs but there is nothing on the TV. I tried the component output too but with regular camposite cables. Are component cables different than composite cables? In any case that didnt work too.

I`ve installed the latest drivers for the 6150 chipset. Now it shows the following:-
Processor: GeForce6150
Video Bios Version: 5.51.22.33.07
IRQ: 16
BUS: Integrated
Memory: 128 MB
Forceware version: 93.71
TV Encoder type: NVIDIA integrated

Now using nView when I try to detect displays it only shows me the LG Monitor as an option and no TV et all. What is wrong here? I spent the whole night trying to figure it out but couldnt make it to work. I`d really appreciate if someone can get me out of this trouble.

Xvys

Aug 25, 2006
If the cable is connected correctly, NView should recognize it. Maybe try a SVHS cable instead of the component. Also make sure your TV is set to the right mode to use the aux inputs. Is there not a "force TV detection" tab in some Nvidia drivers? I've never needed it. I just selected clone and it listed the TV as the secondary monitor.

MacBoy

Mar 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Xvys
If the cable is connected correctly, NView should recognize it. Maybe try a SVHS cable instead of the component. Also make sure your TV is set to the right mode to use the aux inputs. Is there not a "force TV detection" tab in some Nvidia drivers? I've never needed it. I just selected clone and it listed the TV as the secondary monitor.

Force TV detection too doesnt show any TV. I cant even use clone as I only get the option of a single display only.

BTW I opened the PC cabinet today to check out if the cable was connected properly or not(the PC was not assembled by me). The Mobo manual says that the TV out connector is a 8-1 connector. The cable which connects the mobo and the TV out bracket is actually 8-1(ie 4 holes in top row and 3 in the bottom one). But the connector pins on the Bracket and Mobo are 8-2(ie 3 pins on top row and 3 on the bottom) It looks like this:-

Here 1 means a pin and 0 means no pin. So the third pin on top row is missing. But what makes it interesting is that this connector has the same pin missing on both the bracket and mobo. So it doesnt look like something`s wrong. But since the manual says this should be 8-1 instead and the connecting cable too is 8-1, this might be actually be a problem.

Can someone with the same mobo confirm this for me please?

GnatGoSplat

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
My M2NPV-VM has the same pins missing.

I don't mean to get off track, but does the HDTV output module board have any chips or anything like that on it? I didn't get the board with mine (Newegg refurb). The manual shows only component pins going to the module. I'm wondering whether component is converted to S-Video on the output board or if those same pins do double-duty and change function.

MacBoy

Mar 19, 2007
In my case the TV out bracket has 3 component outputs, one s video output and one composite video output.

I`ve sent my mobo to asus service center. hope it`ll be working this time. Btw I did check some other boards of the same model in the market but found out that each board had that one pin missing on the board and the bracket. But strange enough, I just checked that the mobo box has a photo of the TV out bracket on it and I can clearly see 7 pins in the foto instead of 6.