TV Operating Systems

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I am in the market for a low-cost television and came across a TCL TV that has Roku or Google TV pre-installed. I already have a Roku Stick and Chromecast with Google TV, so I would not necessarily use the built-in software. So does it matter which version of the TV I buy? Presumably the firmware/root software for things like changing picture settings, volume, channel, etc is the same across each TV?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, I don't think they're likely to have different basic operation menus and such.
I'm definitely not buying another TV without having a chance to interact with the remote & menu, I hate the setup on my Samsung. Way too many button presses to change the display mode or turn game mode on/off, and those are the things I do most often. Should be dedicated buttons on the remote, but they went with a "sleek" remote that only has a few buttons.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, I don't think they're likely to have different basic operation menus and such.
I'm definitely not buying another TV without having a chance to interact with the remote & menu, I hate the setup on my Samsung. Way too many button presses to change the display mode or turn game mode on/off, and those are the things I do most often. Should be dedicated buttons on the remote, but they went with a "sleek" remote that only has a few buttons.

What annoys me more is I have to login to use remote app. And the login fails cuz I am blocking trackers

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Best thing to do is buy a monitor minus the built-in apps completely because most of the versions built into "smart" TV's seldom (if ever) get security updates or patches.

Won't be easy to find a big one though!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Best thing to do is buy a monitor minus the built-in apps completely because most of the versions built into "smart" TV's seldom (if ever) get security updates or patches.

Won't be easy to find a big one though!

Unless you go to the pro market, you are not going to find dumb monitors.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I bought a 55" Hisense Roku Tv for my new media room and generally like Roku devices. They have a solid app selection and the menu feel isn't too bad. I liked it enough that I snagged a $99 TCL Roku 32" this summer for the cabin.

I haven't had issues with Roku devices mostly, but they don't support Chromecast or Airplay.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
AORUS FO48U 48" 4K OLED Gaming Monitor

One example: (currently on sale for $962)

61SPtNj0jWS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nov 17, 2019
Did they stop making them with video inputs (HDMI or whatever the standard is now)? I used to have a PC, DVD player, ROKU and a few other things connected. TV was just the display no matter what else it had inside it. Still had to fiddle with menus to adjust picture quality, but everything else was done from other devices.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
They all have HDMI inputs.

IMHO just don't use the smart features. You don't have to login to the services...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I really hate the direction TVs have gone. I have not had a need to buy a TV in at least 10 years but not looking forward to when the time comes. I don't want anything to do with this "smart" rubish but it sounds like they force it on you since you need to make an account and all that BS. Before you can even use the damn thing. I presume they're not all like that, but it's probably hit and miss, you'll only find out once it's out of the box and you go to turn it on. They're trying to make everything like a smartphone. I absolutely hate this trend.

I wonder if the LCD controllers are more standardized though, like can you bypass the entire smart part and interface straight with the LCD chip? Or are they just putting all of this in a FPGA now days? I'm sure they're not going to make it easy.

Dec 10, 2005
I really hate the direction TVs have gone. I have not had a need to buy a TV in at least 10 years but not looking forward to when the time comes. I don't want anything to do with this "smart" rubish but it sounds like they force it on you since you need to make an account and all that BS. Before you can even use the damn thing. I presume they're not all like that, but it's probably hit and miss, you'll only find out once it's out of the box and you go to turn it on. They're trying to make everything like a smartphone. I absolutely hate this trend.

I wonder if the LCD controllers are more standardized though, like can you bypass the entire smart part and interface straight with the LCD chip? Or are they just putting all of this in a FPGA now days? I'm sure they're not going to make it easy.
Having recently set up 2 smart tvs for my parents, no, you don't have to make an account before you can use them. It was just take them out of the box, run the basic setup, which took <5 minutes, and it was showing their stuff.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
They all have HDMI inputs.

IMHO just don't use the smart features. You don't have to login to the services...

Certainly a "safer" bet in terms of your home-wifi security but the problem is many cheaper models have the "apps" so intertwined with the OS that anything you do on the TV becomes "suspect" when software gets out of date.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Having recently set up 2 smart tvs for my parents, no, you don't have to make an account before you can use them. It was just take them out of the box, run the basic setup, which took <5 minutes, and it was showing their stuff.

That's good to know. Just seems so many things now days do require an account so it's almost safe to assume TVs too. Won't be surprised if they ever do start doing that though.