Question TV not discoverable at times on wireless network.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I have a Samsung Smart TV with WiFI. The TV and this PC are connected to the same 5G network. The TV displays cable channels and streaming services through WIFI .I can Cast To the TV from the PC which then displays the desktop on the TV. Microsoft's " Cast To " app does this . One rtcl on a multimedia file displays Cast To / Searching for devices and when the TV is found, Cast To plays the complete desktop on the TV. Or, as here, from time to time, displays "device not found".
I'm not concerned with mirroring but streaming from the PC to the TV. That works with a Samsung app called Smart View. Opening SV says to make sure the TV and PC are connected to the same network and then "search for TV's" and mostly finds the Samsung and then will allow me to play on the TV in one room various files from the PC in another.Using SV, I can stream movies from the PC to the TV. Except when the app cannot find the TV on the network. And Cast To cannot find it either at this time. The TV remains connected to the network, e.g.the streamers play. I have run into the phrase " discoverable" as where items are connected because they are discoverable on a network. Here I will say the TV is not discoverable yet remains connected .
The solution I found but am not pleased to use is to reboot the TV. Voila ! Cast To and SV are then able to find the TV. But I think constantly rebooting cannot be good for the TV . I've timed it and within several hours of being turned off, the TV disappears from the arch of each app, leaving " device not found".
Can anyone suggest what the problem is with the TV and how to fix it permanently ?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Here is an interesting explanation of the main features in Windows 10 enabling casting/streaming, mirroring/ Miracast and DLNA services. I think there have been improvements since it was written in 2018. My TV/PC use DLNA and the TV has Miracast built in .
There are users in the comments who have my type of problem-A disappearing casting function, repaired by a TV reboot.

Lets put this baby to bed.

Reactions: Greh