TV displays huge rectangular green screen when connected to PC (Solved)

Fellanah

May 18, 2017
This has been very frustrating as I've spent pretty much over 4 hours trying to fix this problem out. This and this should give you an idea on what I mean.
My configuration right now is like this, my 7950 is hooked up to my HDTV using a DVI to HDMI cable with the 17.4.4 latest Radeon driver. If I boot into safe mode, it will scale to the whole TV however the resolution is terrible. I found that this only happened during the installation of the drivers - halfway through the installation it flickered maybe meaning it installed the graphics driver then part of the screen became squished. I've tried DDU to reinstall the drivers again but it was the same. Also, if I try to change the resolution, it would only change the resolution of the visible portion of the screen, not the full panel. This problem was fixable when I used a gt 610, went into the Nvidia properties menu and changed the resolution to a preset available there(something like 1920x1080 HDTV) but I can't seem to find a similar feature in the AMD Radeon Settings.
I would really, really appreciate it if anyone can help me out here, it's been a very frustrating day evening for me and it would be amazing if you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance everybody!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Haven’t read the post yet, but your second image shows a very odd resolution. Is it a 4K TV?

I don’t think even a 4K TV could display 2164 lines of detail.

Fellanah

May 18, 2017
Haven’t read the post yet, but your second image shows a very odd resolution. Is it a 4K TV?

I don’t think even a 4K TV could display 2164 lines of detail.
No, it's an HDTV not a 4K one. I have no idea why it's trying to display 2164 lines though.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
No, it's an HDTV not a 4K one. I have no idea why it's trying to display 2164 lines though.
I have a 2560x1600 monitor that can’t display anything over 1920x1200 through HDMI (not enough bandwidth). Even most DVI cables can’t do it. The native resolution requires a DVI dual-link cable.

Fellanah

May 18, 2017
but I had been able to use this TV as a monitor before, it was just after a fresh install of windows and when I had to install the drivers this happened. this is 720p anyway, more than enough bandwidth so that isn't that case

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Fresh install? Drivers? Seems to me that is the problem. Bad, incorrect, wrong drivers.

Fellanah

May 18, 2017
I've got it fixed, had to start in low resolution mode then turn gpu scaling on. Thanks however!