Turtles in Time VS The Hyperstone Heist

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
I just felt like playing TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES yesterday. It's always been my favorite Turtles game; probably because it relates closely to the original cartoon and the time travel story. It's also the pinnacle of the Turtles gaming franchise. Recent attempts at it have been very crappy. If gamerankings.com was functioning, you could see the amount of low scores that today's Turtles games fetch.

It took me a half hour, but I beat the game on normal. But they didn't want to give me the true ending. I had to beat it on hard for the real ending, which took me 45 minutes. Not a bad length for a possible $50+ release huh. It's a very crappy length, but it's fun to revisit every once in a while. I wish they'd remake this as a 3d side-scroller.

Deep in the Turtles mood, I'd decided to check out TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis wondering if that has a special ending for Hard mode (it doesn't). I never liked this one as much as Turtles in Time, but when I started I couldn't remember the reason. All I remembered from it was that it was more like the movie because it had Tatsu in it. This is a retarded assumption because Turtles in Time has Tokka and Razar, but I guess it was something else too; but I don?t know what it is. I ended up being killed by Super Krang (tough to hit) on the last level of the game. The last level is frustrating enough without making Super Krang nearly impossible to hit. The day after I lowered the difficulty to Normal and beat the game.

I still don't like The Hyperstone Heist. Now that I'm older, I like it even less. There are only a few positives to the game, such as deep colors, better graphics, and better AI... Not many things because the games are so similar; down to some of the levels, sprites and gameplay.

The deeper colors come as a double edge sword. While it makes the game look great with deep colors, it also makes it darker and less cartoony. This goes along with the game actually which shows the cutscenes with shadows and shows Shredder with big muscles; this is in comparison to Turtles in Time. This was probably a result of the Genesis's limitation of colors on the screen compared to the SNES. Developers could apply shadow to colors, making it look like there were more colors on the screen. Turtles in Time really shines here with a personality similar to the original cartoon.

The Hyperstone Heist had better animation and could have more things moving on the screen at once, which was certainly welcome. The SNES version could've definitely used some extra animation.

I guess the main reason why I don't like the game is that the level progression doesn't make any sense. It looks like you go from NYC to a ghost ship, then to Japan, which then leads to the technodrome. It doesn't seem very TMNTish. On top of that, Bebop is nowhere to be found, but Rocksteady is?!. And that the final level is substantially longer and more difficult than the previous levels. It's unbalanced. There's also an ambush level where you face every boss you've faced in the previous levels. It makes the game seem more like an exercise than an adventure.

Turtles in Time takes you from NYC to the sewers, to the Technodrome, to various times in history, future, and the star trek future, and then back to the Technodrome. It flows better, makes sense. And, although you don't get to run on command (which is very useful in the Genesis version), you get to throw foot soldiers towards the screen! That was so cool back in the day. If they weren?t pixilated, it would still be just as cool. Turtles in Time offers a better overall experience than The Hyperstone Heist.

Gew

Dec 24, 2009

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
I wasn't aware of the Hyperstone Heist either but feel compelled to look it up, due to the fact I already beat Turtles in Time not too long ago with some friends.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I just felt like playing TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES yesterday. It's always been my favorite Turtles game; probably because it relates closely to the original cartoon and the time travel story. It's also the pinnacle of the Turtles gaming franchise. Recent attempts at it have been very crappy. If gamerankings.com was functioning, you could see the amount of low scores that today's Turtles games fetch.

It took me a half hour, but I beat the game on normal. But they didn't want to give me the true ending. I had to beat it on hard for the real ending, which took me 45 minutes. Not a bad length for a possible $50+ release huh. It's a very crappy length, but it's fun to revisit every once in a while. I wish they'd remake this as a 3d side-scroller.

Deep in the Turtles mood, I'd decided to check out TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis wondering if that has a special ending for Hard mode (it doesn't). I never liked this one as much as Turtles in Time, but when I started I couldn't remember the reason. All I remembered from it was that it was more like the movie because it had Tatsu in it. This is a retarded assumption because Turtles in Time has Tokka and Razar, but I guess it was something else too; but I don?t know what it is. I ended up being killed by Super Krang (tough to hit) on the last level of the game. The last level is frustrating enough without making Super Krang nearly impossible to hit. The day after I lowered the difficulty to Normal and beat the game.

I still don't like The Hyperstone Heist. Now that I'm older, I like it even less. There are only a few positives to the game, such as deep colors, better graphics, and better AI... Not many things because the games are so similar; down to some of the levels, sprites and gameplay.

The deeper colors come as a double edge sword. While it makes the game look great with deep colors, it also makes it darker and less cartoony. This goes along with the game actually which shows the cutscenes with shadows and shows Shredder with big muscles; this is in comparison to Turtles in Time. This was probably a result of the Genesis's limitation of colors on the screen compared to the SNES. Developers could apply shadow to colors, making it look like there were more colors on the screen. Turtles in Time really shines here with a personality similar to the original cartoon.

The Hyperstone Heist had better animation and could have more things moving on the screen at once, which was certainly welcome. The SNES version could've definitely used some extra animation.

I guess the main reason why I don't like the game is that the level progression doesn't make any sense. It looks like you go from NYC to a ghost ship, then to Japan, which then leads to the technodrome. It doesn't seem very TMNTish. On top of that, Bebop is nowhere to be found, but Rocksteady is?!. And that the final level is substantially longer and more difficult than the previous levels. It's unbalanced. There's also an ambush level where you face every boss you've faced in the previous levels. It makes the game seem more like an exercise than an adventure.

Turtles in Time takes you from NYC to the sewers, to the Technodrome, to various times in history, future, and the star trek future, and then back to the Technodrome. It flows better, makes sense. And, although you don't get to run on command (which is very useful in the Genesis version), you get to throw foot soldiers towards the screen! That was so cool back in the day. If they weren?t pixilated, it would still be just as cool. Turtles in Time offers a better overall experience than The Hyperstone Heist.

Didn't like Turtles in Time: Reshelled from PSN? I have it, enjoyed it quite a bit. Doesn't have the Tokka/Razhar snow level if I remember, but it has great graphics for a side scroller and is a ton of fun.