turning off system restore on secondary drives?

essential

Aug 28, 2004
i was playing around with my system restore settings and noticed it was on for my secondary drives, used just for storage, and had max settings on, so about 28gigs per drive. i turned system restore off on the drives cause i figured since they are for storage anyway, what's the point of loosing 28gigs of storage space to restore on a secondary drive.

are there any negatives to this any of you can think of? how can i clear and of the space system restore may have used on these drives?

Tostada

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I always turn off system restore on all my drives after I have all my hardware installed and I know my drivers are working. Just depends whether you think you need that safety net or not.

If you're asking about enabling system restore on all your drives vs. just your primary drive, it doesn't really matter. It doesn't actually store restore information for a specific drive on that drive. All it's doing is using space on the various drives for restore points. Restore points are mostly just backups of the registry. It's not like it's going to give you back documents you deleted or help you out of some kind of drive failure.