Turn signal only works sometimes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
1999 Infiniti I30 Limited, parents beater car.

Turn signals only work sometimes, on a complete whim usually. If I press the hazard button nothing will happen, as does if I signal right or left. My mom said if you leave the signal in the right or left position for awhile, it will usually start signaling in 5-10 minutes or so.

Checked all the fuses related to lights and everything is fine on that end. If I press the hazard button or signal right/left I can hear a relay clicking somewhere, so I would assume that would be ok? Though I can't think of anything else that would be the culprit of it.

Ideas anyone? Its kind of dangerous to drive this thing right now, but they've had it up to about the breaking point with things failing on this.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
My gf's old Corsica had an issue where if you adjusted the steering wheel up or down, the headlights, etc would stop working. It ended up being bad wiring.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Replace the flasher relay?
If the hazard's don't work either, it sounds like its not the stalk that is causing the problem.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Probably relay or the column switch ring. Play with the switch and listen for the relay to buzz or click repeatedly.

cprince

May 8, 2007
Replace the flasher relay?
If the hazard's don't work either, it sounds like its not the stalk that is causing the problem.

agreed. If the hazard is also not working then most likely it's not the switch in the stalk. Check/replace the flasher unit. Also, make sure all the signal lights work.

If I press the hazard button or signal right/left I can hear a relay clicking somewhere, so I would assume that would be ok?

This definitely sounds like something's wrong with the flasher unit. If I were you, I would replace it first. It's only $10 from autozone for your car.

Last edited:

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
agreed. If the hazard is also not working then most likely it's not the switch in the stalk. Check/replace the flasher unit. Also, make sure all the signal lights work.

This definitely sounds like something's wrong with the flasher unit. If I were you, I would replace it first. It's only $10 from autozone for your car.

Thanks guys, im gonna try this tomorrow. Thats what I thought it was but I wanted to double check to see if it could be anything else.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
You may need to top up your blinker fluid, but while you're at it you might as well do a complete flush and fill.

BlinkFluid.jpg

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
lol. Was anyone else's first reaction that flashers are only supposed to work sometimes? "The thing turns on and off, on and off, on and off."

I have nothing more to contribute. Sorry.

thisguy!

Oct 29, 2013
Sorry to bring up a three year old post, but I have the exact same problem with my grandmother's car. Can I ask how you sorted this out with your infiniti?

Thanks in advance!

thisguy!

Oct 29, 2013
Yea, I knew it was an old thread, but it was the only perfect match I could find with my problem, and I saw that you were still active on this board, so I figured I might get lucky.
Thanks again!

Glad it helped you but I am closing this thread so it may die in peace now...
Also in the future do not be afraid to post and ask questions...

AT Moderator
Bartman39

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.