Turn on computer, no post, hit reset button, post! WTF?!

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
Why is that, when I turn my computer on, I have to hit the reset button in order for it to post? Here's what's in my computer.

Asus A7V revision 1.02
AMD Thunderbird 1.0GHz @ 1.224GHz
192 MB PC-100 SDRAM (128MB Micron, 64MB Hyundai)

I thought that maybe it was a power supply problem. I have a PowerMan 300W power supply. When I checked AMD's part approval site, it says that this PowerMan power supply I have only supports up to 1.0GHz. Could this be the reason that my chip @ 1.224GHz isn't posting?

BTW, it runs fine in windows. I can play Quake3 and Counterstrike for hours on end without lock-ups or failures or anything. I've even run 3DMark2000, Seti@Home and Sisoft Sandra's burn-in wizard all at the same time for over eight hours without any problems. So, I think the CPU is able to handle that speed.

Why won't it post?!

ROJAS

Oct 9, 1999
Did you check your motherboard connections on the motherboard, (pwr reset,keylock,speaker,etc). You might be off on the power reset connection.

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
Yes, checked those. They are fine. The computer powers up when I press the power button, it just doesn't post until I press the reset button.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
You probably have a geforce video card don't you? They do that sometimes... mine hasn't done it in a long time since I updated my motherboard bios... that's most likely the problem. 99% sure :)

Quad

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2000
muahaha the cold boot problem

i see you've oc'ed

what are the oc specs? fsb? multiplier?
edit: what's your voltage too?

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
I don't own a GeForce video card. I own an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR ES.

Yes, I've overclocked. 1.0GHz @ 1.21GHz (11x110) at 1.85 volts.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i would try updating bios, sounds like it doesn't like a setting for the memory. which bios are you running?

LordSandMan

Nov 2, 2000
Also try setting it back to 1Ghz. My Duron 600 does that @1Ghz, but if I set it back to 600 it posts every time.

ROJAS

Oct 9, 1999
I noticed on your original message, you are overclocking abit.
Did you try to go back to the original cpu setting to see if the reset
button is eliminated. Will it post correctly on the default settings, if it does, you probably need to see if there is a m.b. bios update which will allow you to run the higher o\c setting.

Quad

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2000
hrm

try setting the vcore using jumpers. leave the mobo in jumperless mode, but set the vcore jumpers anyway. that might work

jamarno

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2000
The supply generates a Power_Good signal (pin 8 of ATX connector, grey wire) that's supposed to go true only after the voltages have stabilized, but sometimes it goes true too early or too late for the particular motherboard (motherboard out of spec, AKA "the FIC syndrome"), and the only solution may be to switch to a different model or brand supply. If you're adventurous, you can solve this for about 50 cents by changing the right timing resistor or capacitor in the supply, but finding it is another matter.

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
If I set it back to default everything (CPU, FSB, voltage) then everything posts fine. At 1.0GHz everything is fine, but the problem is 1.0GHz isn't fast enough! I have a feeling it's the power supply.

Like Jamarno suggested, I'll try another powersupply to see if that works. Hopefully it does. If not.....

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Someone else already said this but it should work.... just use the Vcore jumpers instead of setting it in the BIOS.

KBtn

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
First, shut the computer down, shut off the power supply at its own switch, let the system sit for about 30 minutes to let the capacitors discharge fully. Open up the case and check to see if your Ram modules and AGP card is FULLY and CORRECTLY seated. Now turn it back on and try to imediately go into the Bios to set the processor and voltages back to default. Reboot and see if it will POST. Then go back and overclock. One more thing...make sure your CPU fan is properly connected and working. If you used the pencil trick to unlock your processor it is also possible it needs to be redone. The pencil lead will eventually ware off.

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
My mates A7V had the same problem - you had to let all the power discharge otherwise it would not play whatsoever!!!
Once he got it going it was fine - seemed to settle down - the true cause of the problem was never discovered - video cards can come loose and cause problems though but beeps shoudl tell u that :)

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
I've connected both the L1 and L7 brigdes using rear window defogger repair kit.

<< My mates A7V had the same problem - you had to let all the power discharge otherwise it would not play whatsoever!!! >>

What do you mean by letting all the power discharge?

<< First, shut the computer down, shut off the power supply at its own switch, let the system sit for about 30 minutes to let the capacitors discharge fully. Open up the case and check to see if your Ram modules and AGP card is FULLY and CORRECTLY seated. Now turn it back on and try to imediately go into the Bios to set the processor and voltages back to default. Reboot and see if it will POST. Then go back and overclock. One more thing...make sure your CPU fan is properly connected and working. If you used the pencil trick to unlock your processor it is also possible it needs to be redone. The pencil lead will eventually ware off. >>

Did everything you said, and it still wouldn't post after power up. If I hit the reset button though, all is well.

Pakman

Nov 30, 2000
Well, here's a suggestion that's worth a shot. In your CMOS goto your BIOS features setup or Advanced features setup and look for Boot up System Speed. If it's set to High, try setting it to Low. It's a long shot, but your System might be booting up too fast to allow you HD to spin up to full speed.

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
AmazonRasta
If you have the case cover off - my mate's system would only boot once the green LED had completely gone out.
It was a real pain to rectify - but for some (unknown) reason it eventually settled down!

I did go thru one hair pulling episode with a KT7 RAID - the cause some type of interference from the CPU fan - I turned the CPU fan thru 180 degrees Clockwise and the system booted first time every time..it would generally not boot at all with the CPU fan in the supplied orientation.

I'm not suggesting that is your problem but there are sorts of strange boot problems with Socket A mobo's from what I've seen/read

As it's only in the overclocked state you get the problem it's obviously something to with the system not being happy with that setting - are your overclocked setting set by the BIOS or jumpers?
I've read something here about certain boards choosing one setting (not the one you want) over the other momentarily when you turn on the power.
What settings are you running your CPU at to get 1.224Ghz? 12 * 102?
Can you try pencilling your CPU to set it at 12 x?
Perhaps the BIOS is saying the CPU should be 10 x but the BIOS tells me 12 x - but it's incorrect?

Hanpan

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2000
THis is your problem. YOur computer acess the muliplyer before the voltage so you are trying to boot 1.224 at 1.65 volts. Only later even though it's a fraction of a second is the hihger voltage applied. THis is why no post. Since the higher oltage has already been applied when you resert you suddenly boot. YOu can try to pencil in 1.85 volts but that's probably the only way it'll work.

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
ok can you boot without &quot;resetting&quot; with 12 x 100FSB?
what about 11/11.5 x ?