Turn-Based Strategy Games

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That Poxnora in the OP looked interesting, until I saw it was a milking machine. I appreciate game companies wanna make money but it wont be from me.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Well.... I find king bounty delightful and HOMM V trash (well boring as hell anyways) so they really aren't that similar. Anyways as noted above king bounty ip predates homm :)

So I picked up HOMM V in the Steam sale and all I can say so far is... how the hell did 1C get away with making such a similar game?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Moo2 is the shit but most people dont have it.
I still got my disc, and even ripped it to share on DC++ but felt guilty about it after a year or so and took it down.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
One day I will download the newest version of modded Moo2. Hopeful it will work on win7 64bit. Also hopeful the AI won't be stupid. ( I hated backstabbing )

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Well.... I find king bounty delightful and HOMM V trash (well boring as hell anyways) so they really aren't that similar. Anyways as noted above king bounty ip predates homm :)

Both were published by New World Computing so they probably didn't care much.

HomerX

Mar 2, 2010
One day I will download the newest version of modded Moo2. Hopeful it will work on win7 64bit. Also hopeful the AI won't be stupid. ( I hated backstabbing )

yes it works with dosbox...

played a few MP matches over the last few days... :D

Moo2 is the shit but most people dont have it.
I still got my disc, and even ripped it to share on DC++ but felt guilty about it after a year or so and took it down.

I am not sure but i think you could download the free demo and apply the fanpatch v1.4 and you have the full version...

Dwarf

Sep 14, 2004
Master of Orion 2 is my favorite turn based strategy game followed by Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Civilization 3.

The creativity and depth of the ship designs, tech trees, and combat tactics in Master of Orion 2 are really top-notch, even today.

Its a real shame Simtex never got to contribute towards MoO3...

bentheman939

Mar 5, 2008
Both were published by New World Computing so they probably didn't care much.

I got mine in a bundle... HoMM 1 and 2, as well as King's Bounty and some other random NWC games. Probably sunk 2000 hours into that package.

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
I have a question about MoO2 actually - we started playing this during lunch at work but - being an 8-player game - not everybody is available on the same day all the time.

With this in mind:

a/ Can we allow an AI player to take over the slot?
b/ Do they cheat?
c/ Can the player who sat out return at a later time if they want?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

HomerX

Mar 2, 2010
a/ Can we allow an AI player to take over the slot?

yes this should be possible

b/ Do they cheat?

as far as i know: no! but they cannot compete with experienced humans... even on the highest difficult settings.

c/ Can the player who sat out return at a later time if they want?

this "could" be a problem... i am really not sure. If you play a 2 player game and 1 player leaves, the AI takes over. If you save the game now it is a single player safe-file and you can not load it for a multiplayer game... not sure what happens with an 8 player game.

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
Decided to have another go at Poxnora today and it looks like they've implemented an F2P system where you can buy stuff for gold you earn from completing games. Definitely worth a look now for those who were holding out due to having to pay real money for pretty much everything.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A bit different from pure TBS, but I would just like to add that I have been playing more and more of Shogun 2.

this is an awesome game. They are releasing more DLC soon--actual campaigns. So I would advise people that don't have it to wait several months for an inclusive package on sale (Steam X-Mas sales).

I'm liking this one as much as Rome.