Turkey or no turkey for Thanksgiving?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sounds like I'm having ox tail. A pressure cooker was on the requisition list. I asked if that was essential. The boyfriend called his grandmother, and the answer was "No, but adjustments will have to be made". Dunno what it'll be exactly. Surprises are good, so I didn't ask.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Turkey is garbage imo, don't do it just to do it.

If you really like turkey then make it, but otherwise fuck that noise. Cook something better.

Reactions: clamum

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Sounds like I'm having ox tail. A pressure cooker was on the requisition list. I asked if that was essential. The boyfriend called his grandmother, and the answer was "No, but adjustments will have to be made". Dunno what it'll be exactly. Surprises are good, so I didn't ask.

Eaten a lot of things but never even heard of Ox tail. How do you cook it and is really the tail?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Eaten a lot of things but never even heard of Ox tail. How do you cook it and is really the tail?
I've heard of it; specifically ox tail soup mentioned above. I'm guessing it's gonna be some kind of Jamaican style since the boyfriend's cooking it. I didn't press for details for two reasons. First, I like surprises as I mentioned. Second, I don't want to come off as prying, or
as having veto power if you get where I'm coming from. The meal's the chef's discretion, and its success or failure is up to the chef. I'll help if asked, but the chef should get all credit one way or the other.

Ox tail's exactly what it sounds like. The tail of a steer. I'm not terribly enthused tbh, but I've never had it, and it might be amazing. I'll live, and be more experienced, so it's no big deal. Beats the traditional Icelandic holiday meal I was threatened with once. Luckily my friend couldn't procur a sheep's head D^: :^D

Reactions: Thebobo

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Local supermarket is doing my Thanksgiving cooking, we’re having ham with tons of sides. The meal comes with apple pie but I ordered pecan & fruit of the forest pies from work. All I need is olives, horseradish cheese & crackers now :)

Feb 25, 2011
It's only the two of us, and I don't really want to do a 10+ pound bird. I was considering a rotisserie chicken to save time, but so many places are closed that I went yesterday to the grocery store to buy a chicken... and ended up buying a duck instead.

So we'll be having duck, plus traditional sides.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ox tail is great. It's excellent in soups, smoked, or braised. It used to be really cheap so during the winter months, we often ate ox tail soup. But ox tails became more fashionable to eat so now it's expensive since there's only one tail per cow. It's usually around $6-7 /lb at the supermarket now. All this ox tail talk has me wanting to smoke some ox tails and cow cheeks. Smoked ox tail and beef cheeks are amazing in tacos.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Local supermarket is doing my Thanksgiving cooking, we’re having ham with tons of sides. The meal comes with apple pie but I ordered pecan & fruit of the forest pies from work. All I need is olives, horseradish cheese & crackers now :)
Sounds yummy. Now you have me wanting some pies for dessert. I just finished eating grilled prime sirloin cap steaks for dinner. I was thinking fresh pineapple for dessert but now I want pecan pie. And I don't have any at the house.

Reactions: Geekbabe

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Turkey, with cranberry sauce. :D Seriously, try it if you have not, I like it better than gravy!

I was feeling a little Christmassy and bought a tourtiere the other day. Who says you can only have that at Christmas time, but this is typically the time of year you can get them. It's St Hubert brand so it's got to be good. Did not cook it yet. Crazy that Christmas is already around the corner. See lot of lit houses now, I'm a little behind I did not even put my lights up yet.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
My "turkey":

Dak-Ham2.jpg

Feb 25, 2011
Turkey, with cranberry sauce. :D Seriously, try it if you have not, I like it better than gravy!

I was feeling a little Christmassy and bought a tourtiere the other day. Who says you can only have that at Christmas time, but this is typically the time of year you can get them. It's St Hubert brand so it's got to be good. Did not cook it yet. Crazy that Christmas is already around the corner. See lot of lit houses now, I'm a little behind I did not even put my lights up yet.

Sauce is good. I do cranberry relish. 1 pound of fresh cranberries, one orange (with skin/rind, but remove seeds) and a cup of sugar. Blend.

It's better if you make it the night before and let it meld with itself. It has approximately all of the flavor.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Turkey . I thought of ground turkey while I was in the store . I began to laugh as I envisioned someone putting a vocal bird in a meat grinder .

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
We're definitely doing a ham. Trying to avoid turkey like the plague though it's somewhat difficult with 12+ at the house. Will probably smoke or grill some chickens instead as chicken > turkey just about every way.

Reactions: Geekbabe

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

I like tourtiere every now and then.

for those that don't know what that is - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourtière

:)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
We're definitely doing a ham. Trying to avoid turkey like the plague though it's somewhat difficult with 12+ at the house. Will probably smoke or grill some chickens instead as chicken > turkey just about every way.

I like smoked turkey drumstick

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Do this....

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3147707/spiced-roast-lamb

But with a whole shoulder of lamb (adjust the cooking times for a shoulder, so long and low with a bit of a blast to brown it up). And double the amount of coating.

Turkey sucks. Even brilliant turky is dry and tasteless compared to any other meat.
Looks fantastic. I do pesto covered lamb at least once a month and it is everyone's favorite. This would be a nice variation.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Looks fantastic. I do pesto covered lamb at least once a month and it is everyone's favorite. This would be a nice variation.
That, ginger roast potatoes and some roast veg is probably one of my favourite meals.

You cant go wrong with a slow roasted shoulder of lamb!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Do this....

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3147707/spiced-roast-lamb

But with a whole shoulder of lamb (adjust the cooking times for a shoulder, so long and low with a bit of a blast to brown it up). And double the amount of coating.

Turkey sucks. Even brilliant turky is dry and tasteless compared to any other meat.
I can't do lamb for Thanksgiving because not everyone likes it. But that lamb recipe looks pretty good and easy. I might buy boneless leg of lamb from Costco and smoke it after Thanksgiving. Thanks.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Eons ago I was in charge of the cranberry sauce at the family thanksgiving dinner. It was my job to open the cranberry can and empty it in one piece. For a long number of years that was the only cranberry I ever knew.

kp8qEH5.gif