Tuner for HTPC that will tune analog cable and digital OTA signals

Murdoc

Jan 22, 2011
I was looking through the tuners offered on Newegg and I'm a bit confused as to what they are are actually capable of doing.

I was looking for a device to connect to my HTPC that will tune a basic cable analog signal and also a digital over-the-air signal for local channels in HD.

The reason for this is that I'm using an old plasma monitor that doesn't have a built in tuner. So I want to be able to watch everything through the computer which is connected to the monitor through the vga port. I was using a vcr and a digital to analog converter box, but I would like to consolidate everything to the PC.

Is there a device that can handle both signals? Will I need separate devices? Any recommendations?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The hdhomerun has two tuners that can do this. I believe the older models could use one tuner for each use, but i'm not sure this is possible with the newer models that use a single input.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Most all cable systems are going all digital, so make sure your area still has analog, and the conversion from analog to digital isn't soon.
HDPRIME (has 3 tuners) and it can do digital (with CableCARD) or clearQAM.
It can't do OTA, or analog.

The Dual (HDHR3-US): Only Digital Cable (ClearQAM) and Digital Antenna (ATSC).

You can also find some dirt cheap analog tuners that would work, those are usually PCI cards though.