Tuesday Afternoon Rant: Dawn dishwashing soap.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
So the lady had me pick up some groceries and what not this afternoon. I normally try to buy things in combo packs or bulk to save a few pennies (when I can) so I picked up the dual pack of Dawn 24 OZ dish washing soap for $6.50. While walking down the isle i noticed that the same dish washing soap for single bottles was only $2.75 a bottle! WTF!

Isn't the whole purpose of buying bulk or combo packs to save?

/End of rant

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
So the lady had me pick up some groceries and what not this afternoon. I normally try to buy things in combo packs or bulk to save a few pennies (when I can) so I picked up the dual pack of Dawn 24 OZ dish washing soap for $6.50. While walking down the isle i noticed that the same dish washing soap for single bottles was only $2.75 a bottle! WTF!

Isn't the whole purpose of buying bulk or combo packs to save?

/End of rant

yeap.

gotta pay attention to price. Sams club/costco is bad on it. some things are hell of a good deal. others you actually pay more then buying smaller single sizes.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I always read the $/kg price for that reason. If one item is discounted, it may be better to buy the single packages. If nothing is discounted by the supermarket, usually the multipack costs less but I still check.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I always read the $/kg price for that reason. If one item is discounted, it may be better to buy the single packages. If nothing is discounted by the supermarket, usually the multipack costs less but I still check.
This is pretty much how I operate as well.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

yeah. i have a terrible memory. i have a little notebook i write prices down for when i got to sams club.

about 80% of the stuff is a better deal. some is more expensive.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I see this with Heinz Ketchup consistently. The bulk pack is often more expensive / ounce than the singles and often the next larger bottle.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009

Do they put that on tags over there? In the US they don't list those and you have to calculate yourself.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Or that single bottle happened to be a part of a weekly ad sale?

That's the far more likely scenario. Supermarkets and club stores turn over inventory quickly enough that there's no incentive to drop prices to move stuff out the door except for perishables. Products go on sale, if seeing something cheap causes someone to go on a rant that person needs to stay out of stores unless he/she is shopping for a clue.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Dawn is the best dishwashing liquid to use to rejuvenate old rubber rollers on printers.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Ya gotta love marketing. I needed to pick up some laundry detergent, and at the *end* of aisle, with big signs, and flashing lights was a super duper SALE on my usual brand, so I grabbed a box. While walking down the aisle,
I checked to see what the regular price would be for that brand, and found it was cheaper, a lot cheaper! Caused quite a stir at check-out when I, (using a louder voice), told the cashier I preferred to pay the regular, and not the sale price.
Gee, ya gotta wonder what changes were made after I left, :awe:

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Same thing with toothpaste at target. 6oz tube for $2.99, Two pack 6oz tubes for $6. Plus the single tubes go on sale 2 for $5 every few weeks. Makes no sense. Been like this for a couple years so it's not an inventory dump.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
They do at all the stores I go to... It is on the shelf tag.

Same here, I use it all the time.

I've noticed something odd here at a local grocery story. There are two different size boxes of Ritz, let's say 16oz and 24oz. They are both the same exact price, always. I've never understood it.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Do they put that on tags over there? In the US they don't list those and you have to calculate yourself.

What kind of drugs are you shopping for? In the USA unit pricing is mandatory for most items in a supermarket.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You're never going to have a supermodel clutching each of your arms with this attitude.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
yeah. i have a terrible memory. i have a little notebook i write prices down for when i got to sams club.

about 80% of the stuff is a better deal. some is more expensive.

Most of the time it's better by a very small margin.

Remember, it's still the same companies that are supplying these warehouses....and those companies still make money.

In most cases, Local Grocery + Coupons > warehouse

But there is plenty of savings at Costco/Bjs etc as well, but don't expect HUGE savings.

Also one thing people seem to forget is that more you buy, more you will use it. So in the end, even though you pay less initially, you end up buying it more.

If you have a small item, you will save/use it less.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
What kind of drugs are you shopping for? In the USA unit pricing is mandatory for most items in a supermarket.

That's typically a state "weights and measures" thing not a federal thing. I'd be surprised if there was any state that didn't have such a law but it could happen.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Huh just looked this up, only 9 states have unit pricing required, incidentally New Jersey is one of them and I've never seen it. I'll take a picture at my grocery store when I go there to post.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Most of the time it's better by a very small margin.

Remember, it's still the same companies that are supplying these warehouses....and those companies still make money.

In most cases, Local Grocery + Coupons > warehouse

But there is plenty of savings at Costco/Bjs etc as well, but don't expect HUGE savings.

Also one thing people seem to forget is that more you buy, more you will use it. So in the end, even though you pay less initially, you end up buying it more.

If you have a small item, you will save/use it less.

yeah it really really depends on the items. TP is one i found is a good deal. sure you buy enough to fill a small vehicle but it's cheaper in the long run (with 3 girls in the house its a good idea too!)

oh actually most cleaning supplies too.

One year i did calculate the amount i saved at sams club. With the $50 cost to join i really wanted to know if it was worth it. with teh stuff i did buy i did find i saved enough to cover the cost of the fee and extra.