[TT]NVIDIA is developing something BIG and it's not a GPU

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33025...g-something-big-and-it-s-not-a-gpu/index.html

"Epic Games Co-Founder says that NVIDIA is close to releasing something massive and that it is not a new GPU!
Earlier today, vice president of Epic Games, Mark Rein, tweeted something that instantly caught the tech world's attention. In his tweet, he said that earlier this week while at NVIDIA, he saw the most amazing thing and it was not a GPU. This is led to much speculation as Rein is a longtime supporter of Oculus VR's Rift technology."

Ibra

Oct 17, 2012
Last edited by a moderator:

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCwtBxZM7g

Doubt it. :hmm: For some reason glasses (3D Vision, Google Glass) receive instant hate from AMD fanboys. Although they like Oculus Rift diving mask.

I like the idea regardless of which GPU camp I support. The concept anyway.

On a serious note. I find it interesting how AMD were aiming for the Holodeck (before the let the lead engineer go) and how nVidia are focusing on the near eye display. I find it all very exciting. I would be great if we could have the option of both. I don't know which I would prefer though. A Holodeck would take up a lot of space and I imagine not very cheap. Near feild displays. I have never felt comfortable with anyhing on my face. I don't even wear sunglasses at all. I'm glad I have good vision.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Eh, I think this will end up being some awful product nobody wants. Epic isn't exactly a company I'd trust knows what gamers want and just by saying it is something gamers will love, but isn't a GPU, means it will likely be a gimmick and bad.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
True Story -I purchased about 8 video cards from Epic right here in Raleigh, some good old 6800 Ultras and 7800 GTX's, that used to be in their test systems. Back on topic...

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
May be a beefier version of the new Tegra Note Tablet?

Maybe a tablet with great gaming with usb for keyboard, mice, and external storage in a specialized OS built for gaming....and an optional stand to make it sit up like a monitor on your desk (like one of those all-in-one computers)?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Full size versions of JHH's cup?

Warning issued for thread crapping.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCwtBxZM7g

Doubt it. :hmm: For some reason glasses (3D Vision, Google Glass) receive instant hate from AMD fanboys. Although they like Oculus Rift diving mask.

Infraction issued for inflammatory language.
-- stahlhart

I fail to see how 3D vision and Google Glass are even remotely comparable to the Occulus Rift.

Google Glass is just a HUD that makes you look ridiculous, and 3D vision is just 3D which old outdated consoles and AMD GPU's can also do. The Rift by all accounts is 3d that makes you feel like you're actually in the game world, and it has head tracking.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
If more companies jump on the *REAL* VR technology bandwagon, similar like the Oculus Rift...possibly even better from a h/w perspective...then it is a GOOD thing.

Read my words, in 5-10 years only a tiny numbers of gamers will still play on a 2D screen like we do today. I am 100% convinced of that. Once people realize the immersion and once the OR has gotten even more mainstream than what it is...people will realize.

I *heard* that Sony is also working on a VR set...so Nvidia WOULD make a lot of sense. Again: Graphics Card ---> effing tiny 2D screen ---> ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY.

And we all know that 3DVision is only a gimmick. NV would be a fool not to see the potential of real VR gaming.

Last edited:

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Actually, my bet is on the Nvidia Grid for cloud gaming to compete with Onlive.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
"AMD is about to have a tech day on their upcoming cards?! QUICK THROW SOMETHING TOGETHER TO STEAL THEIR THUNDER!"

No one plays the game like NV and JHH.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Valve has announced they are making an announcement on Monday and it hints at a console release. Perhaps Nvidia is part of that.

And an announcement of an announcement is stupid.

Either way, the a Steambox will most likely fail, but since Gabe hates Windows, he will try with his Linux box anyway.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Steambox I'm hoping...mainly cos I want details of said Box, not so much because I care which gpu manufacturer scores the contract.

Edit: then again, this is NOT a . Gpu. Hmmm

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Then again, dailytech says this about a potential Steam box:

"Reportedly the Linux-based box will be fully compatible with most Windows OS games of the past and present without any complicated custom fiddling. It is unclear what Linux distribution the console will run, but we should soon find out. "

I'm not sure how accurate that is, or even if it's legal. But creating a program that can efficiently and adequately intercept direct X calls and translate them to openGL (better than WINE) would completely eliminate the biggest hurdle to customers adopting a steam box (the hurdle being that they would be losing their existing library because of Linux).

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Then again, dailytech says this about a potential Steam box:

"Reportedly the Linux-based box will be fully compatible with most Windows OS games of the past and present without any complicated custom fiddling. It is unclear what Linux distribution the console will run, but we should soon find out. "

I'm not sure how accurate that is, or even if it's legal. But creating a program that can efficiently and adequately intercept direct X calls and translate them to openGL (better than WINE) would completely eliminate the biggest hurdle to customers adopting a steam box (the hurdle being that they would be losing their existing library because of Linux).

I have used that software before and its far from good. Very few games worked with it well and most required significant tweaking to get them to work at all, often requiring graphical features to be turned off. It also quite often cost a lot of overhead and slowed the games down. I doubt its improved so much as to magically take away the problems I had just a few years ago.

Honestly since its not a GPU I doubt anyone will care all that much. I can't imagine nvidia would realise anything critical next week, its just weird timing.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
If valve found a way to pull that off and maintain good performance I will send Gabe a cake. He obviously loves cake.

However, I suspect it is actually the near field display tech previously mentioned in the thread.