[TT]Battlefield 4 PC system requirements aren't harsh at all

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Your still pretty much set with sli gtx670s,guessing the recommended specs are for 1080p huh?

I game at 1200p so i guess the gtx770 i recently purchased was a wise choice,i almost went with something like a 7950 or gtx760 but now glad i didn't.
A wiser choice if it had 3GB RAM, it goes over 2gb usage at 1080, so like me at 1920/1200 you're VRAM limited already, maybe the 7950 wasn't such a bad idea. Can't paste the jpeg but its at the link shown second image (spoiler) from top.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Your still pretty much set with sli gtx670s,guessing the recommended specs are for 1080p huh?

I game at 1200p so i guess the gtx770 i recently purchased was a wise choice,i almost went with something like a 7950 or gtx760 but now glad i didn't.

Is it a 4GB 770? Charts are showing memory usage for 1200P is well over 2GB.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
A wiser choice if it had 3GB RAM.

The only thing that really pushs my gtx770 pass 1gb vram usage is MSAA and honestly i just shut this off,knowing that BF4 will have this i know for a fact its the one setting next to motion blur perhaps that will be disabled so i doubt this game can tank a 2gb card with msaa disabled.

For example a gtx570 was BF3 recommended gpu,laughing my ass off if you think i would run that card at 1200p with ultra and msaa both enabled as i have seen gpu usage run over 1.4gb on my gtx770 with both enabled so the obvious settings for a gtx570 for BF3 just had to be ultra no msaa.

Feb 4, 2009
A wiser choice if it had 3GB RAM, it goes over 2gb usage at 1080, so like me at 1920/1200 you're VRAM limited already, maybe the 7950 wasn't such a bad idea.

I think the 3GB reference is a tribte to AMD. DICE has some kind of marketing agreement with AMD and I'm sure this is really to point out the 7950 has 3GB as opposed to 2GB

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
May be time to pick up another 7950 :D

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The only thing that really pushs my gtx770 pass 1gb vram usage is MSAA and honestly i just shut this off,knowing that BF4 will have this i know for a fact its the one setting next to motion blur perhaps that will be disabled so i doubt this game can tank a 2gb card with msaa disabled.

For example a gtx570 was BF3 recommended gpu,laughing my ass off if you think i would run that card at 1200p with ultra and msaa both enabled as i have seen gpu usage run over 1.4gb on my gtx770 with both enabled so the obvious settings for a gtx570 for BF3 just had to be ultra no msaa.

mhTVg6j.jpg

1080P, no AA, roughly 2GB of usage.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Is it a 4GB 770? Charts are showing memory usage for 1200P is well over 2GB.

LOL,i just purchased this card and received it on the 3rd of this month which was a bit before the specs officially got released ha.

Oh i had a thread about perhaps purchasing a 4gb gtx760 over a 2gb gtx760 and officially wanted more performance over more vram,wonder how this choice may play out?

I will kill MSAA as i always do in my games and i bet i will be fine,the game recommending 3gb vram is most likely Dice attempting to actually recommend a 7950 or 7970 lol as nvidia cards come in the wonderful 2/4gb flavors besides the gtx780 which is way off from a $200 gtx660.

Last edited:

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
So that is why Moonbogg with his sli gtx670s is pissed,1200p and no AA and its still consuming 2gb of ram....now i can laugh at the whole 7870/gtx660 recommended gpu thing.
I think it means if you have the GPU horsepower to drive it (e.g 7970/780)then it will use that 3GB for you. Obviously it will scale back if with a slower GPU. You shouldn't be laughing you should be quietly sobbing in a corner like I am.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Except small caveat that BF3 does a lot of vram caching, not unlike Windows superfetch. What's being used isn't necessarly what it needs.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Except small caveat that BF3 does a lot of vram caching, not unlike Windows superfetch. What's being used isn't necessarly what it needs.

Also that chart has numbers for Alpha,perhaps some room and work on optimization before release?

I made mention of stuff in the BF4 thread in pc gaming about a chart and the fps numbers for Alpha and someone put it as don't run with these numbers,its Alpha and not final release so there is work to be done.

Kinda balling up laughing at the 8800gt card in minimum requirements,this card has had the longest shelf life as far as being recommended in games and by the time the game is release this card will officially be 6 years old if you count in the review date.....

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Just like BioShock infinite as well. Loaded up more vram than it could possibly use at 1080p.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Also that chart has numbers for Alpha,perhaps some room and work on optimization before release?

I made mention of stuff in the BF4 thread in pc gaming about a chart and the fps numbers for Alpha and someone put it as don't run with these numbers,its Alpha and not final release so there is work to be done.

Kinda balling up laughing at the 8800gt card in minimum requirements,this card has had the longest shelf life as far as being recommended in games and by the time the game is release this card will officially be 6 years old if you count in the review date.....

FPS numbers will change for sure. But VRAM numbers for the BF3 Alpha matched up fairly close to what they were in release. At that time people were seeing ~1.5GB of usage at 1080P. Which had people with 1GB cards (5870's for instance) a bit put off. But the 5870 was not fast enough to have that much eye candy on anyway.

It should be noted I played BF3 with a 512MB HD5750 and it was quite playable with everything on medium at 1680x1050. Although it did hickup when it had to swap vram out.

Which is what you will see if you have more settings/resolution on than your VRAM can sustain. It will run ok, then you will get a bunch of jerks as it swaps out and loads new textures and such. Average FPS is not effected much.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

This isn't true. Don't believe it. BF3 needs what It shows being used, or you get skips and small freezes. BF4 should be the same. I am confident that 2gb just isn't enough to max the game at 1080p and have it run flawlessly. Sure, it will run, but it won't be a perfect experience with no skips or bogging down.
I'll try it on ultra with 4xaa, but with textures on a lower setting. This worked well for BF3 and GTX570's and they were about 200mb short of what was needed. If I didn't reduce the textures, the Vram usage maxed out and I got skips and outright bogging down and chugging, going from 60fps to 30fps suddenly. Buying 2gb cards cured all of that.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
FPS numbers will change for sure. But VRAM numbers for the BF3 Alpha matched up fairly close to what they were in release. At that time people were seeing ~1.5GB of usage at 1080P. Which had people with 1GB cards (5870's for instance) a bit put off. But the 5870 was not fast enough to have that much eye candy on anyway.

It should be noted I played BF3 with a 512MB HD5750 and it was quite playable with everything on medium at 1680x1050. Although it did hickup when it had to swap vram out.

Which is what you will see if you have more settings/resolution on than your VRAM can sustain. It will run ok, then you will get a bunch of jerks as it swaps out and loads new textures and such. Average FPS is not effected much.

I am a fanatic of must having 60+ fps at all times in my games and drop as many settings as possible to reach this goal,i am the guy running ultra in BF3 without msaa at 1200p on a gtx770 while everyone else might laugh and call me crazy for not enabling msaa as well. BF4 itself i will be doing the same.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
This isn't true. Don't believe it. BF3 needs what It shows being used, or you get skips and small freezes. BF4 should be the same. I am confident that 2gb just isn't enough to max the game at 1080p and have it run flawlessly. Sure, it will run, but it won't be a perfect experience with no skips or bogging down.
I'll try it on ultra with 4xaa, but with textures on a lower setting. This worked well for BF3 and GTX570's and they were about 200mb short of what was needed. If I didn't reduce the textures, the Vram usage maxed out and I got skips and outright bogging down and chugging, going from 60fps to 30fps suddenly. Buying 2gb cards cured all of that.

Well you don't have to believe it, but that doens't mean it isn't true. I have 1GB and 2GB cards at the same settings, BF3 uses most of the memory on both cards and neither studders/skips.

Not saying you CAN'T crank the settings to actually need more VRAM, just saying that the reported usage doesn't necessarily give you the entire picture. Seeing nearly 3GB used on a 3GB card does not mean a 2GB card will skip/studder, even at the same settings.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Does no one else find it odd they are recommending 2GB cards yet 3GB of VRAM?

I would point out the obvious marketing attempt and error but considering no one caught that I guess it was genius seeing that there are people ready to ditch their cards and snag new cards without thinking twice about it.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001

I would point out the obvious marketing attempt and error but considering no one caught that I guess it was genius seeing that there are people ready to ditch their cards and snag new cards without thinking twice about it.

This was the first thing I noticed. Seems like an AMD had their hands in the making of this slide... dumb oversight..

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
This was the first thing I noticed. Seems like an AMD had their hands in the making of this slide... dumb oversight..

You think the slide is bogus? Oh well, it doesn't matter. I'll lower settings until next gen cards come out. As long as the heads get snup, that's all that matters anyway.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011

Would be a cold day in hell if someone thinks i would swap my gtx770 for a 7970Ghz based on this apparent bs.

Honestly never thought to see so early a game push games at 1200p without AA to 2gb of vram usage,when i was in the market for a 4gb gtx760 originally with my budget plenty of people said 4gb was a waste for 1200p and i think i made that thread about 2 weeks ago lol then suddenly i buy the 2gb gtx770 and there goes that theory with these BF4 graphs huh?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011

With the game recommending a minimum of a 512mb 8800gt,have to wonder how far 2gb of vram would go for 1200p?Perhaps medium?High?Seems like we could forget ultra unless the whole cache theory going around is true as i have heard this before with BF3.

Medium and high for you and me and anyone with similar gpus should be no issue,difference is your gtx670 sli without vsync very well could fly over the 100fps mark almost making it a waste while my gtx770 would be perfect but would lack at ultra with msaa enabled or even plain old ultra no msaa.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
With the game recommending a minimum of a 512mb 8800gt,have to wonder how far 2gb of vram would go for 1200p?Perhaps medium?High?Seems like we could forget ultra unless the whole cache theory going around is true as i have heard this before with BF3.

Medium and high for you and me and anyone with similar gpus should be no issue,difference is your gtx670 sli without vsync very well could fly over the 100fps mark almost making it a waste while my gtx770 would be perfect but would lack at ultra with msaa enabled or even plain old ultra no msaa.

My rig won't fly over 100, not on a big map anyway. It often breaks 100 on BF3, but usually floats around 70 average. The limiting factor for me is the CPU in BF3. I was looking forward to getting some more GPU usage in BF4 to stretch those 670's out a bit, but the Vram issue may have screwed me up there. :p