TSMC investments and expansion 2021

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Since TSMC is currently a crucial bottleneck for the industry I think this deserves an own thread.

Notable passed resolutions:

4. Approved capital appropriations of approximately US$11,794.8 million (approximately NT$324,293.27 million) for purposes including: 1) Fab construction, and installation of fab facility systems; 2) Installation and upgrade of advanced technology capacity; 3) Installation of mature and specialty technology capacity; 4) Installation and upgrade of advanced packaging capacity; 5) Second quarter 2021 R&D capital investments and sustaining capital expenditures.

5. Approved the establishment of a wholly-owned subsidiary in Japan to expand our 3DIC material research, with a paid-in capital of not more than ¥18.6 billion (approximately US$186 million).

6. Approved the issuance of unsecured corporate bonds in the domestic market for an amount not to exceed NT$120 billion (approximately US$4.4 billion), and the provision of a guarantee to TSMC Global, a wholly-owned foreign subsidiary of TSMC, for its issuance of US dollar-denominated senior unsecured corporate bonds for an amount not to exceed US$4.5 billion, to finance TSMC’s capacity expansion and/or pollution prevention related expenditures.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The prolonged dry spell with serious water shortage Taiwan suffered on is certainly one news that we missed in this thread, now they are getting the rain season they wished for. :grinning:

They'd better have their buckets out catching every drop. If 2021 is any indicator, the fabs will need more and more water in the future. EUV machines are thirsty beasts.

Reactions: lightmanek

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
And it's finally raining there, too:

(note that this comment won't age well since timeanddate.com shows a current 14-day forecast; at the time of this posting, it shows rain/thunderstorms every day out to Friday the 18th)
I know that they do have rain seasons and it's pretty normal, just saying that in 2011 we had ram shortages due to floods...............
Especially after dry seasons sudden rain fall can cause huge problems.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I know that they do have rain seasons and it's pretty normal, just saying that in 2011 we had ram shortages due to floods...............
Especially after dry seasons sudden rain fall can cause huge problems.

If they have enough buckets, they'll be fine!

Or reservoirs. I'm told they use those too.

• Haha
Reactions: Thibsie