Trying to take car out of PNO in CA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys. I've been away for a while and I did a PNO (planned non-operation) in october when my registration came up. I'd like to re-register the gti now! however, when I put in the info for registration renewal I get the following:

The license number and Vehicle Identification Number (or vessel CF number and Vehicle Identification Number) you have entered are invalid. Please recheck the information and resubmit. If this problem persists, to avoid late fees, mail the bottom portion of the billing notice with the fees and requested items in the envelope provided prior to the expiration date.

PLEASE NOTE: If a Renewal Identification Number (RIN) was not provided in the registration renewal billing notice you received for your vehicle, you are not eligible to renew your vehicle registration online.

Reminder
As a reminder, late fees will be assessed if renewal fees are not paid by the date(s) noted on the registration renewal notice.

What am I doing wrong here?? Thanks!

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I would go to AAA in person and have them fix it. My guess is since you did PNO you can't register it normally online anymore. Has to be done in person. Probably need a smog check too.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I would go to AAA in person and have them fix it. My guess is since you did PNO you can't register it normally online anymore. Has to be done in person. Probably need a smog check too.

AAA? It's 2012 car. I'm smog exempt for 6 yrs per CA law.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
But you put it in PNO. I'm not sure about the smog check; just throwing it out there.

AAA, you know, automobile club so you don't have to wait in the eternal lines at the DMV? You could try calling the DMV too.

FearoftheNight

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I tried the DMV. They said the phone system couldn't help and to try the website... Is there a way to get a real person on the line? I didn't see the option...

Haha had no idea AAA did any of that stuff. My AAA is registered in NY can they still help me now that I'm a CA resident?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I'm not sure if your AAA membership carries over.

As for the DMV...I haven't called them in a decade. But I was able to talk to a real person.

AAA can handle any registration issue pretty much. I only deal with the DMV for licences and custom plates.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
Most phone systems will send you to queue for a real person if you don't push any buttons when prompted to, or push buttons that aren't in the prompt list. Dunno if the DMV does or not though. If you have to go in person, the DMVs usually have shorter lines if you get there right when they open.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
the CA DMV phone system is actually pretty good. if there's a wait, you can punch in your phone number and a real human will call you back. any time i've had questions, the people on the phone have been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.