Trying to reapply the factory thermal paste on gtx 280

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
just as the title states I am trying to reapply the thermal paste onto my vga processor. So I can place the factory fan and outside back on to send back for warranty. I bought Thermal adheasive and it says dont use it on cpu. can I use it on the vga processor thou.

Whats the difference and if this is like a glue can I use it to stick the (little radiators) (forget what there called but used to dispense heat. For a vga Will it allow them to stick onto it.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
thermal adhesive is basically thermally conductive epoxy. if you put that on it will most definitely void your warranty, and you wont EVER get the cooler off again

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
Thermal paste will work fine, I recommend AS5. Thermal Epoxy will be needed for the heatsinks on the VRAM if that's how it came stock. If the cooler is one whole unit that just needs some thermal paste on every chip making contact with the heatsink then you're fine to apply it everywhere and secure the heatsink. I recommend, if you're trying to scam a warranty for heavily overclocking your card and frying it, that you find thermal paste similar to what the manufacturer uses.

But... on a douchebag sidenote-
Almost 500 posts on AT with a pimp computer and you don't know these things?

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
just as the title states I am trying to reapply the thermal paste onto my vga processor. So I can place the factory fan and outside back on to send back for warranty. I bought Thermal adheasive and it says dont use it on cpu. can I use it on the vga processor thou.

Whats the difference and if this is like a glue can I use it to stick the (little radiators) (forget what there called but used to dispense heat. For a vga Will it allow them to stick onto it.
adheasive means glue, or something stronger than glue, do not apply those on things you are about to RMA. Thermal paste and Thermal adheasive are 2 different things although they both designed to transfer heat.

DO NOT DO IT!

As someone already said, get AS5 or something like that.

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
lol im not trying to scam just trying to figure out what I bought. The card just stoped working for no reason. SO I took off the cooler like the warranty or rma policy said

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I use strong tone simply to ensure that you don't put those on your GPU. It is not reversible. It is only used when you have an aftermarket HS with cheap RAM sink that falls off before you finish installing the thing.

Anyways, are you sure it is the card that have problems?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Dont use AS5 Its conductive. Use Ceramique for gpu heatskinks and Northbridges/southbridges etc...

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Thermal paste will work fine, I recommend AS5. Thermal Epoxy will be needed for the heatsinks on the VRAM if that's how it came stock. If the cooler is one whole unit that just needs some thermal paste on every chip making contact with the heatsink then you're fine to apply it everywhere and secure the heatsink. I recommend, if you're trying to scam a warranty for heavily overclocking your card and frying it, that you find thermal paste similar to what the manufacturer uses.

But... on a douchebag sidenote-
Almost 500 posts on AT with a pimp computer and you don't know these things?

To follow up your douchebaggery, with almost 300 posts here at AT we would think that you would realize we are nicer than that here :p

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Do not use thermal adhesive.

If you want to use what was originally on there, use Shin Etsu MicroSI. There are a few different formulations, but I'm not sure they are different enough to make a difference for what you are using it for. This stuff goes on the GPU itself. The rest of the card typically gets Laird thermal pads (those white pads with fibers in them), but good luck finding that stuff (as in you probably can't).

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
To follow up your douchebaggery, with almost 300 posts here at AT we would think that you would realize we are nicer than that here :p

To counter your counter to my douchebaggery with almost 1500 posts you'd think to not troll a troll WOMP WOMP WOMP DERP DERP

JRW

Jun 29, 2005
Although Ive also heard AS5 isnt the best choice for a GPU I had a tube lying around and decided to use it on a EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked edition.

It had been overheating due to (after taking it apart and inspecting) major dust buildup inside card after nearly 2 yrs of use which was blocking proper airflow over the heatsink, So while I had the card apart I decided to redo the stock thermal compound using the AS5.

It's been a few months since I did this and the card has been rock solid without any overheating issues under load running at the factory superclocked settings.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
lol im not trying to scam just trying to figure out what I bought. The card just stoped working for no reason. SO I took off the cooler like the warranty or rma policy said

I'd love to see that warranty that instructs one to remove the cooler when card stops working for no reason. Not to be harsh, but it sounds like you fu#ked it up, prolly trying to achieve lower temps. Sounds like you already used adhesive and are now asking if you should use adhesive. Taking apart such an expensive card with so little experience.. Shame on you.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Would MX-2 be a good choice for the GPU on any video card?

My 9800 GX2 has those Laird thermal pads as Zap described, which need to be replaced. AS5 wasn't thick enough. I ordered this, maybe it'll work instead: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260597953665&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thermal pads used for VRMs and memory are ~1mm thick. I've used this stuff before by doubling it up:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/94...55&id=rCdo6Fry

The problem with using any paste is the ooze factor. Arctic Silver Ceramique is the thickest I've seen, but a solid pad is a better choice. For gpu, your peanut butter of choice.