Trying to make video of giving homeless $100 need advice on equipment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have 2 homeless stories from recent times.

1. About a month ago my wife and I were eating outside Mission BBQ with our son and a guy walking by asked if I had any spare cash for him to get food and I said no I don't sorry. He asked another table outside and they said no, then proceeded to go inside for a bit. After about 5 minutes of being inside, he walked out and started walking away. Then an employee (assuming manager) came out and waived him down and said hold up. The homeless guy stopped and the employee walked up to him and talked to him for a bit. About a minute later they both walked passed us into the store and I overheard the employee asking him if he wanted ribs or the brisket, and said he could have both if he wanted. About 7 minutes later, the homeless guy walked out with a smile on his face and basically a shopping bag full of food. And this guy looked somewhat well dressed (for a homeless guy) and was fairly young and clean, like late 20's probably and clean shaven.

2. Last weekend in NYC we got in a subway train and a homeless guy announced that he was looking for some money because he's super hungry and needs to buy food. We were on the way back from dinner and my son (who is 4) barely touched his spaghetti and I knew he wasn't going to eat it at home. So I walked over to him and said "here is some spaghetti that you can have" and he barely acknowledged that I gave him anything and seemed completely ungrateful. I'm guessing he just wanted money to get his fix of booze or dope.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
The nice thing about making a video of your donations is that it inspires others. However, unless you enjoy wasting money and financing leeches, it's best to pick the homeless person wisely and make sure your money actually improves their situation, not just financing their daily Red Bull habit for another month.

Sorry, no tips on gear. I don't rove the land interviewing anyone.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
The nice thing about making a video of your donations is that it inspires others. However, unless you enjoy wasting money and financing leeches, it's best to pick the homeless person wisely and make sure your money actually improves their situation, not just financing their daily Red Bull habit for another month.

Sorry, no tips on gear. I don't rove the land interviewing anyone.

I would think that most people that are inclined to donate don't need motivation from a video....