Trying to make video of giving homeless $100 need advice on equipment

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013

Im going to have my friend film me giving homeless people $100 dollar bills and I am trying to figure out what kind of equipment I need, I want it to be similar to the guy above.

I'm thinking of getting the Canon R800 camcorder and Rode smartlav+ for my phone to record the interactions, is this a good combo?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I recently bought that exact camcorder since I got into vlogging, downside is it has no shoe mount for a mic but I epoxied one on and it's been pretty solid. I had this rig with a V bracket that held the camera and mic separately but it was too cumbersome. With a lavalier mic I guess that will be fine but make sure it's a powered mic (ex: that uses batteries) as a non powered mic won'twork on that camera.

That said I think it's kinda lame to film giving stuff to homeless people, but if you're going to do it, at least tell them after they were being filmed and ask if they are ok with that and it going on the internet.

Also the quality of that camcorder is ok, but nothing special. I'd say it's equivalent to a smart phone but it's overall more convenient so still worth it for the price. And unlike a smart phone it has zoom (real zoom) and of course can be put on a tripod. DSLR will take better video but it has other limitations such as no way to see LCD if using it for self vlogging, and it also has no autofocus. That said, some newer DSLRs do solve those issues by having more video centric features. They do have a recording limit though which can be annoying. Ex: you can't use one to film a hockey game or wedding or something.

Nov 29, 2006
Worst idea ever. Just give them the money. Don't be a self absorbed ahole sticking a camera in their face to make yourself look good on youtube.

This. Your taking a good deed and making it about yourself instead of the homeless person. Don’t be THAT dbag.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
This. Your taking a good deed and making it about yourself instead of the homeless person. Don’t be THAT dbag.
Agreed. It drives me nuts seeing these types of videos. Worse yet what if if another desperate person sees you brazenly giving a man $100? The recipient may get beat up or worse over that $100. Or what if that person has an addiction and they spend the money hurting themselves. If you want to help someone buy them a meal or meals, clothing, footware, tent, etc. I would only give money to someone I knew not to have any addictions and I would do it stealthily so they wouldn't get mugged for the cash.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I could be licking ice cream then putting it back in the store freezer to get views.

Here's to hoping you find that one Desert Storm vet who has serious PTSD and confuses you with an insurgent. Then proceeds to waterboard you with his own urine!

Reactions: IronWing

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That's Cheez. Cheez could buy Gizmo a camera, then Gizmo could film himself giving Cheez $100. They're practically made for each other.
That's not supposed to be filmed. What happens under the tarp in the woods, stays under the tarp in the woods....even more-so if money is changing hands.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah... can you check on Cheez while you're out there? We haven't heard from him in awhile, and we want to be sure that a bear didn't eat him.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Worst idea ever. Just give them the money. Don't be a self absorbed ahole sticking a camera in their face to make yourself look good on youtube.
Yeah, seems kinda self serving. I once picked up a couple hitch-hikers back in the late 1960's and after some conversation handed them a $20 bill. They demurred but I insisted they take it, "you need it more than I do." But I wouldn't do that with just anyone. A lot of indigent people would just blow it and not come out better for it. That was a one off.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah... can you check on Cheez while you're out there? We haven't heard from him in awhile, and we want to be sure that a bear didn't eat him.
Bears will eat people. I heard that the polar bear is the largest carnivore that will eat people... yup, we're on their menu.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have funny story- I saw this man sitting outside McDonalds and I went in and bought 2 Big Macs ! As I was leaving I asked him if he was hungry? I gave him the Big Mac . He looked at me and said a nice cold beer would be nice!!

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Matthew 6: 2-4

Reactions: Red Squirrel
Nov 29, 2006
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Matthew 6: 2-4

Pfft, sounds like some hippy talk. The OP is after "views".

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If you want to help the homeless, help the homeless. Don't make a fucking video about it.

If you want to destroy $100 bills for views be more creative than this, but don't mix the two.

Viper GTS

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have funny story- I saw this man sitting outside McDonalds and I went in and bought 2 Big Macs ! As I was leaving I asked him if he was hungry? I gave him the Big Mac . He looked at me and said a nice cold beer would be nice!!
3 days ago after a medical appt, I went into Wendy's with a coupon kinda early, before noon. There were AFAIK no "customers" in the place but a guy was standing in front of the order counter and he started hitting on me to buy him lunch. He was Asian, not a young guy, had almost no English apparently. When I pulled out my credit card to pay for my order he wanted me to use that to buy him lunch. I don't remember ever being hit on inside a restaurant of any kind for food or money. I gave him a look and decided he didn't look malnourished and left with my order.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I was at urgent care and a guy came in from the back. He had to get stitched up and there was confusion about the bill. They were charging him more than he expected. He asked if he could come back later and pay the difference and they said yes. He seemed like a good guy and was not a turd about the confusion. When he left I asked if I could pay $40 of his balance. They said yes so I pulled out two twenties. I do not miss them at all and he needed them more than I did.

The funny thing is when I went back to see the doc he came back in because he forgot his keys on the counter. They told him what I did and they said he was very happy about it.

Reactions: Muse and JEDIYoda

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I wanna sniff my shoe and put it on Youbie Tube.

Will I be famous? :mask::mask::mask: