Trying to just use 2 speakers and no subwoofer

Jakeolson33

Apr 8, 2019
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Sony STR-K7000 receiver and 2 12 inch cerwin vega floor speakers. For some reason the receiver won't run low frequency to the speakers so the sound is very tinny. Is there a way that I can run some type of cable from my subwoofer output to the speakers?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Looks like that is a HTIB type reciever that comes with speakers and a sub.

Confirming what you already know, crossover appears to not be adjustable, no known easy way to just send the full signal to L and R speakers.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...13-sony-str-k7000-ht-7000dh-speaker-size.html

the subwoofer output is a standard run of the mill unpowered LFE feed (it's meant to plug into a powered-sub)
https://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRK7000.pdf

If you wanted to merge the LFE signal with the speaker level outputs, you would need to amplify the LFE signal and then find some way to merge it with the stereo channels ... It would probably be expensive.
I don't know how to do this, but I'm sure others do.

Maybe an alternative option would be to replace the reciever with something different/better?
Since full feature Recievers are gonna be like $200+, would maybe a T-amp work well for you? for around $20-30?

for one of my PCs and my Wife's PC's we use decentish speakers (my BIC, her Dayton Audio, note: not as good as 12 inch Vegas!)
We have our PCs connected to T amps,
Something like this little Lepai
https://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-202...ocphy=9021479&hvtargid=pla-569395004374&psc=1

It's not a full feature reciever, so it does't handle switching across multiple input streams and HDMI and whatever, but, for just pure audio, they work magnificent. Also, the sound goes reasonably loud and has full range.

Jakeolson33

Apr 8, 2019
Looks like that is a HTIB type reciever that comes with speakers and a sub.

Confirming what you already know, crossover appears to not be adjustable, no known easy way to just send the full signal to L and R speakers.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...13-sony-str-k7000-ht-7000dh-speaker-size.html

the subwoofer output is a standard run of the mill unpowered LFE feed (it's meant to plug into a powered-sub)
https://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRK7000.pdf

If you wanted to merge the LFE signal with the speaker level outputs, you would need to amplify the LFE signal and then find some way to merge it with the stereo channels ... It would probably be expensive.
I don't know how to do this, but I'm sure others do.

Maybe an alternative option would be to replace the reciever with something different/better?
Since full feature Recievers are gonna be like $200+, would maybe a T-amp work well for you? for around $20-30?

for one of my PCs and my Wife's PC's we use decentish speakers (my BIC, her Dayton Audio, note: not as good as 12 inch Vegas!)
We have our PCs connected to T amps,
Something like this little Lepai
https://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-202...ocphy=9021479&hvtargid=pla-569395004374&psc=1

It's not a full feature reciever, so it does't handle switching across multiple input streams and HDMI and whatever, but, for just pure audio, they work magnificent. Also, the sound goes reasonably loud and has full range.

Yeah. Not looking to spend a lot. This is just my garage stereo. Maybe my best bet is to find a cheap receiver at a thrift shop. Lol

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah. Not looking to spend a lot. This is just my garage stereo. Maybe my best bet is to find a cheap receiver at a thrift shop. Lol
A vintage Reciever would be a good bet for sure. (garage sales are good potential option too.)

Otherwise, don't discount "T Amps." They are only 20-40 watts, but, with reasonably high sensitivity speakers, they put out plenty of decibels.

I have a little $30 lepai, my wife uses a little $30 dayton Audio T amp
Here's a link to Dayton Audio sub if you want to take a look
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...attery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So if I were to get a T amp, how would I hook it up to my receiver?
Think of a T amp is a substitute to use instead of a reciever ... you can hook it up to a source/input device, then, connect it to the speakers using speaker wire.
Works great if you only have 1 or maybe 2 devices to connect. (the Lepai I use has Pc connector, as well as regular ole red and white input channels)

(It might not be what you want if you want a tuner and cd player and hook up a bunch of sources.....)

Jakeolson33

Apr 8, 2019
Think of a T amp is a substitute to use instead of a reciever ... you can hook it up to a source/input device, then, connect it to the speakers using speaker wire.
Works great if you only have 1 or maybe 2 devices to connect. (the Lepai I use has Pc connector, as well as regular ole red and white input channels)

(It might not be what you want if you want a tuner and cd player and hook up a bunch of sources.....)
Ok. Thank you for all your help. You pretty much confirmed what I though to be true. Damn.

May 13, 2009
If you have a frys nearby they have 20% off coupons available to use that works on receivers. I got an onkyo txnr686 for $260. They have some cheaper models that only do 2.1 that would be pretty cheap after the coupon. I'm sure after the bad taste of spending the money went away youd be glad you did it.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Honestly, you wont be getting decent bass from that receiver without a sub. What I did, and this was strictly for using my old turntable on a 7.1 system, is to get an old school graphic equalizer. I don;t need nor want 7.1 for old records and using the EQ and a pyle mini amp to boost the turntables output (my receiver doesnt have old school phono inputs. Total cost was like 60 bucks, go the amp on ebay for 40 bucks and got a 12band eq from goodwill. I use it on my 7.1 receiver via any aux in and my infinity interlude speakers. With the eq I can get the low frequencies I need to drive the speakers.

Or, you could just buy an old 2.0 receiver with a real bass and treble control. I find the electronic bass and treble controls on all of my modern amp to suck.

Mar 11, 2004

You should be able to do analog left/right out from a receiver (many ditched the full 7.1 analog output but most still have analog RCA), so you'd just add an amp to the receiver. I think getting a stereo receiver off Craigslist or from a thrift store would be better though. Doesn't need to be old (they still make stereo receivers including affordable ones), and newer ones often will have DACs (and stuff like USB so you could just plug in a computer/smartphone/etc).

Might also see what amps a place like PartsExpress has, especially if you have a little bit of skill you could probably buy a kit amp for not too much.