Trying to Install Windows 95

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I had some older computer parts (motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd, dvd and a case) and then installed win98SE.

I used a program to install USB storage drivers. Now my 16GB thumb drive works.

All I need is a better browser for surfing the internet.
I think the Midori Web browser is still supporting Win9x, and maybe the Dillo browser as well.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
And Linux? It has gotten so much easier now that it even easier then Windows 10!
Yup, it could hardly be easier. If you have to run some specific proprietary software, it may be a no go, but for everyday install and use, it's no more difficult than clicking [Next], and you don't have to worry much about locking down installed spyware.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Dude you not making much sense!

What part didn't you understand?

It was very clear and coherent response. Especially the parts on the "sky national debt", "floopy eared dogs", "trampling herd of 300 million animals", "Great Depression", and "ocean is at a 2% mercury poisoning". /sarcasm o_O

When I read the OP's huge response, this is what appeared in my head:

biggum.jpg

Captain Kirk

Feb 28, 2015
whm1974,
hey there! awesome to see you!

Quote by whm1974:
"why bother with such old programs and Operating Systems? "

bored.gif

REASONS:
1) the challenge. success = yea, now I'm an expert
2) program "system requirements"
3) full use all the vRAM capabilities:rolleyes:
4) can only be run in DOS. DOS is an OS. later versions discontinued this. Also, in windows 10, in dos prompt, even simple program commands
such as "sfc /scannow" can not utilize the sfc utility from "inside" the pentegram of the pentagon in the Inner Circle of the Brotherhood unless it is
completely outside the Absolute Power "system", i.e. maybe a fresh start, start from scratch, rebuild the Civilization of Man from the ground up
to prevent mass extinction in the Final War and the eight Extinctions of Man. Windows 10, though, has completely disabled any ability of We The People
to access this power, or to opt to a "command prompt" at start up which is a stand alone OS. This was VERY useful in windows 95 for example and could
solve many problems!!!!!!!!!!

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
will not run on an NT
not enough memory is available

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
not supported on NT
program will not run on this operating system

REQUIRED
MEMORY CURRENT SATISFIED
extended XMS 2048k 919k no
expanded EMS 2048k no ems manager no

i only have small 60gig and 100gig HD's. i'm running out of space.
unless i can some attach an tower IDE slot to a laptop...
do they make these kind of attachments? an adapter: tower HD to be used in a laptop

when you say, "Linux? It has gotten so much easier now that it even easier then Windows 10!",
which linux is easier than Windows 10? ubuntu?
and HOW is it easier? in what ways (specifically)

Iron Woode, how is you?
thanks for replying back!

you built your own computer from scratch just to be able to run windows 95?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!1
congrats.gif

normally, it would sound like a good idea to use linux. however, as i don't use this OS much, so that means i would have to implement all of the missing add on
components to get my computer running up to par to be able to handle this OS. i'm not a linux guy. programming linux is a language i'm not that good at!
if i switch to linux, it would literally take me month longer to fix this problem, because now i have the added problem of having to run linux and fix all of
the problems that linux will have on a FRESH INSTALL.
NOTE: a FRESH INSTALL never has all the things you need.

Quote by Iron Woode:
"I used a program to install USB storage drivers. Now my 16GB thumb drive works."
WAS the name of "program" called PLOP?
"PLOP" WAS the name of the program that you used which allowed you to gain access to your USB drives (thumb drive), where you weren't able to use your
USB DRIVES previously?

Quote by Iron Woode:
"All I need is a better browser for surfing the internet."
why -- are you limited in browser selection because of your outdated OS?
what could the latest breaking browser do for you that your default or installed outdated browser not do?

lxskllr,
hi there

what is "proprietary software"?:confused_old:

UsandThem, hey

Quote by whm1974:
"Dude you not making much sense. And why bother with such old programs and Operating Systems? And as far as disk space goes, it's cheap! HDDs have been at the 1TB size and larger for years now.

And Linux? It has gotten so much easier now that it even easier then Windows 10!"

Us AND Them (UsandThem), the (US) pennies and the (THEM) trillionaires; who you talking about?, your IQ doesn't make any sense, Food Chain, top scientist of the world, whm1974
is refering to using outdated software in the windows 95, it would appear. 22 trillion dollars national deficit, IQ test, is the same as needing 22 trillion gigbytes
of HD space when you only have a 5 million gigabyte HD instead. Us AND Them: will 22 trillion gigbytes of HD space fit on a 5 million gigabyte HD?

Us AND Them, maybe you haven't heard of bottlenecks, but if there is a bottleneck in your system, whether your system is a nation/world or just a single computer
this can cause the system to not function at its full capabilies, where some of the "functionality" is stunted in its growth, or completely incapable of some options
(such as saving all life on Earth) or having 100% computer efficiency. this is the difference between a 3 GHz computer running as a .02 GHz computer, and a
3 GHz computer running as a 3 GHz computer. when studying bottleneck functionality, refer to a Perfect Society where the rich do not rule the world (WW3).

by the way, that's a funny picture. thanks for making me laugh. that was great.
your a real comedian. thanks for making my day. you are one of those special people.

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
whm1974,
hey there! awesome to see you!

Quote by whm1974:
"why bother with such old programs and Operating Systems? "

bored.gif

REASONS:
1) the challenge. success = yea, now I'm an expert
2) program "system requirements"
3) full use all the vRAM capabilities:rolleyes:
4) can only be run in DOS. DOS is an OS. later versions discontinued this. Also, in windows 10, in dos prompt, even simple program commands
such as "sfc /scannow" can not utilize the sfc utility from "inside" the pentegram of the pentagon in the Inner Circle of the Brotherhood unless it is
completely outside the Absolute Power "system", i.e. maybe a fresh start, start from scratch, rebuild the Civilization of Man from the ground up
to prevent mass extinction in the Final War and the eight Extinctions of Man. Windows 10, though, has completely disabled any ability of We The People
to access this power, or to opt to a "command prompt" at start up which is a stand alone OS. This was VERY useful in windows 95 for example and could
solve many problems!!!!!!!!!!

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
will not run on an NT
not enough memory is available

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
not supported on NT
program will not run on this operating system

REQUIRED
MEMORY CURRENT SATISFIED
extended XMS 2048k 919k no
expanded EMS 2048k no ems manager no

i only have small 60gig and 100gig HD's. i'm running out of space.
unless i can some attach an tower IDE slot to a laptop...
do they make these kind of attachments? an adapter: tower HD to be used in a laptop

when you say, "Linux? It has gotten so much easier now that it even easier then Windows 10!",
which linux is easier than Windows 10? ubuntu?
and HOW is it easier? in what ways (specifically)

Iron Woode, how is you?
thanks for replying back!

you built your own computer from scratch just to be able to run windows 95?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!1
congrats.gif

normally, it would sound like a good idea to use linux. however, as i don't use this OS much, so that means i would have to implement all of the missing add on
components to get my computer running up to par to be able to handle this OS. i'm not a linux guy. programming linux is a language i'm not that good at!
if i switch to linux, it would literally take me month longer to fix this problem, because now i have the added problem of having to run linux and fix all of
the problems that linux will have on a FRESH INSTALL.
NOTE: a FRESH INSTALL never has all the things you need.

Quote by Iron Woode:
"I used a program to install USB storage drivers. Now my 16GB thumb drive works."
WAS the name of "program" called PLOP?
"PLOP" WAS the name of the program that you used which allowed you to gain access to your USB drives (thumb drive), where you weren't able to use your
USB DRIVES previously?

Quote by Iron Woode:
"All I need is a better browser for surfing the internet."
why -- are you limited in browser selection because of your outdated OS?
what could the latest breaking browser do for you that your default or installed outdated browser not do?

lxskllr,
hi there

what is "proprietary software"?:confused_old:

UsandThem, hey

Quote by whm1974:
"Dude you not making much sense. And why bother with such old programs and Operating Systems? And as far as disk space goes, it's cheap! HDDs have been at the 1TB size and larger for years now.

And Linux? It has gotten so much easier now that it even easier then Windows 10!"

Us AND Them (UsandThem), the (US) pennies and the (THEM) trillionaires; who you talking about?, your IQ doesn't make any sense, Food Chain, top scientist of the world, whm1974
is refering to using outdated software in the windows 95, it would appear. 22 trillion dollars national deficit, IQ test, is the same as needing 22 trillion gigbytes
of HD space when you only have a 5 million gigabyte HD instead. Us AND Them: will 22 trillion gigbytes of HD space fit on a 5 million gigabyte HD?

Us AND Them, maybe you haven't heard of bottlenecks, but if there is a bottleneck in your system, whether your system is a nation/world or just a single computer
this can cause the system to not function at its full capabilies, where some of the "functionality" is stunted in its growth, or completely incapable of some options
(such as saving all life on Earth) or having 100% computer efficiency. this is the difference between a 3 GHz computer running as a .02 GHz computer, and a
3 GHz computer running as a 3 GHz computer. when studying bottleneck functionality, refer to a Perfect Society where the rich do not rule the world (WW3).

by the way, that's a funny picture. thanks for making me laugh. that was great.
your a real comedian. thanks for making my day. you are one of those special people.

CIVILIZATION OF MAN
You might want to check out FreeDOS or DOSBOX which allows users to run DOS programs in modern OSes.

As far as Linux goes, I recommend Linux Mint as a starting point. It easy to use and setup.

fiskrond

Sep 14, 2017
I built a windows 98SE box the other day out of old parts just for fun.

love it! .. gonna have a go myself for ol'times sake.. am sure I have got an ancient mobo (running on PC100 RAM) in my hoard.. b(^_^)

.. fun.. YES!

Last edited:

Captain Kirk

Feb 28, 2015
hello whm1974!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by whm1974
"You might want to check out FreeDOS or DOSBOX which allows users to run DOS programs in modern OSes."
its funny that you should mention this: i have had trouble with FreeDOS. and DosBOX?, THAT "only" has a maximum capability of 256 vRAM,
hear%20ya.gif

AND I need the full capabilities of
my GPU. so this poses a problem. i was looking for a way to run an old software program in a way where i could utilize the full capabilities of my GPU, and the solution that
I found was to use windows 95 because it has DOS capabilities, which the later windows editions weeded out, just like some of the other essential programs which you need
regularly, and that are really useful.

yes, mint is good. wasn't mint one of the first linux OS's that allowed for users to be able to dual boot a system?
i know puppy certainly doesn't have that capability. speaking of dual boot systems, windows has a dual boot option, but does it allow for a linux OS to be on this
"autostart list"?

fiskrond, hi there!

that's great, your right. now i'm starting to want to build my own computer now. your right, it does sound like fun:cool:
you say you have a 1.2 gig with 100 RAM?

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
hello whm1974!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by whm1974
"You might want to check out FreeDOS or DOSBOX which allows users to run DOS programs in modern OSes."
its funny that you should mention this: i have had trouble with FreeDOS. and DosBOX?, THAT "only" has a maximum capability of 256 vRAM,
hear%20ya.gif

AND I need the full capabilities of
my GPU. so this poses a problem. i was looking for a way to run an old software program in a way where i could utilize the full capabilities of my GPU, and the solution that
I found was to use windows 95 because it has DOS capabilities, which the later windows editions weeded out, just like some of the other essential programs which you need
regularly, and that are really useful.

yes, mint is good. wasn't mint one of the first linux OS's that allowed for users to be able to dual boot a system?
i know puppy certainly doesn't have that capability. speaking of dual boot systems, windows has a dual boot option, but does it allow for a linux OS to be on this
"autostart list"?

fiskrond, hi there!

that's great, your right. now i'm starting to want to build my own computer now. your right, it does sound like fun:cool:
you say you have a 1.2 gig with 100 RAM?

CIVILIZATION OF MAN
For one thing, dual boot has available almost from day one, I did dual boot setups for a long time until Linux matured to the point that I longer needed Windows for anything.

As far as my system goes, I have 16GB of RAM, 3.8Ghz quad core CPU, 2 1TB SSDs, and a 970 GPU.

Look, quite being stop being stubborn and use a modern OS. I find it highly unlikely that you need to run any DOS programs.

Captain Kirk

Feb 28, 2015
hey whm1974, glad to hear from you
you came back!!!!!!

Quote by whm1974
"quite being stop being stubborn and use a modern OS.":eek:
quite = correct spelling is quit

Quote by whm1974
by the way, i like your computer:
" I have 16GB of RAM, 3.8Ghz quad core CPU, 2 1TB SSDs, and a 970 GPU"
cool.gif

i have been running windows 10. does windows 10 run on a modern OS to you, or is this not good enough?
tell me what whm1974 system requirements are?

i thought you wanted to be a computer expert?
next time i'll come to you asking about 3.1, AND YOU'LL BE HAPPY TO ANSWER "all my questions"!!!!!!!

:)fiskrond:) i meant a computer that was a 333GHz with 512MB RAM and a 10 gig HD. that's what i was running.
fiskrond, a pentium 1 and 2 would be able to run windows 95 without a problem?

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

Captain Kirk

Feb 28, 2015
hi whm1974,

what does "Win9x" mean?
is it all of the windows 95 and 98 series?

you know that the microchip is getting twice as powerful every six months so your "6GB of RAM, 3.8Ghz quad core CPU, 2 1TB SSDs, and a 970 GPU" will be outdated in six months
and in 3 years from now, if Mass Extinction of Mankind from World War III has not happened yet, by some miracle, for the love of God, then your computer will then be considered ancient.
and in 5 years from now, if Marshal Law in the United States has not been declared and the Great Depression happened to the USA, basking in a 22 trillion dollar national deficit, then your computer will be considered Stone Age technology, or you and all of Mankind, or what's left of them will be reduced to :confused_old:Stone Age technology:confused:

1) But speaking of technology, whm1974, have you found any software or hardware that tests the limits of your computer's capabilities?
2) whm1974, do you think you could get internet connection using the 3.1 OS?
applause.gif

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Yes Win9x means Windows 95 to Windows Me. And my computer isn't outdated yet as it is still very usable and will be for some time.

And why would I even want to use Win3.1? Much less connect to the Internet with it?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
love it! .. gonna have a go myself for ol'times sake.. am sure I have got an ancient mobo (running on PC100 RAM) in my hoard.. b(^_^)

.. fun.. YES!
I used newer parts than those that support PC100 ram.

MSI KT4VL motherboard
512GB DDR 333 ram
AMD XP 2500+ cpu
40GB Maxtor hdd
FX5200 nvidia video card - will be replaced when I locate my missing BFG 6800GS card.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
UsandThem, hello!
how's your day today?
big%20hug.gif

quote by sandorski
"Even back in the day when Win95 was the latest, you were likely to run into errors."
what kind of errors?

All kinds of indecipherable errors. Especially regarding Memory Management.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If I were to ever build such a PC again, it would be with Win98SE. Then I would use my old Voodoo5 5500 and play a lot of NFS Porsche Unleashed, I miss that game.

Captain Kirk

Feb 28, 2015
sandorski, glad you joined!

when you rebuild a computer from scratch, are you going to build a pentium I or II?
what type of "system" do you think would be appropriate for these specifications you would have?
1) what you have left over in spare parts
2) specific GHz and board build, based on the mobo you want and the GHz you plan on targeting?

:cool:i love that need for speed III:cool:
that was the best one, before the good GPU requirements, for a back in the days computer capable performance

for some reason the demo was better than the full version!!!!!!!!
that happened with a couple of other games too. they picked the best level in the entire game.
you ever had that happen to you?

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
sandorski, glad you joined!

when you rebuild a computer from scratch, are you going to build a pentium I or II?
what type of "system" do you think would be appropriate for these specifications you would have?
1) what you have left over in spare parts
2) specific GHz and board build, based on the mobo you want and the GHz you plan on targeting?

:cool:i love that need for speed III:cool:
that was the best one, before the good GPU requirements, for a back in the days computer capable performance

for some reason the demo was better than the full version!!!!!!!!
that happened with a couple of other games too. they picked the best level in the entire game.
you ever had that happen to you?

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

I will probably never make such a PC, but I do have an Athlon 2800+ that I could use. I have a motherboard for it too, I think it has failing Caps on it though and even if it's fine, it won't run a Voodoo5 5500, so I would have to replace it. This would be for Win98SE, I suspect, but don't remember, if this generation of PC hardware included Win95 Drivers.

Ya, NFS III was really good because of all the Mods for it.

Captain Kirk

Feb 28, 2015
sandorski, howdy there partner

"caps?"; you mean like the caps lock or a cap limit to the amount of money that a person should be able to make or own, such as 17 million dollars?
"Athlon 2800+": that's way past first and second gen chips. no windows 95 would run on this without a custom :pCOMPUTER MAKEOVER:p

Quote by sandorski
"This would be for Win98SE, I suspect, but don't remember, if this generation of PC hardware included Win95 Drivers.”
supposedly all windows are made to be backwards compatible, meaning that W98se should have everything you need for windows 95.
this is why you’d assume that windows 10 takes up 26 gigs of HD space, and windows 95 only requires a meager 1 gig.
:rolleyes:quite a difference, i must tell you

“NFS III": it seems like all the popular ones get alot of mods. but it happened to me once where there were so many formats of mods, that certain mods only worked for certain kinds of computer systems.

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
sandorski, howdy there partner

"caps?"; you mean like the caps lock or a cap limit to the amount of money that a person should be able to make or own, such as 17 million dollars?
"Athlon 2800+": that's way past first and second gen chips. no windows 95 would run on this without a custom :pCOMPUTER MAKEOVER:p

Quote by sandorski
"This would be for Win98SE, I suspect, but don't remember, if this generation of PC hardware included Win95 Drivers.”
supposedly all windows are made to be backwards compatible, meaning that W98se should have everything you need for windows 95.
this is why you’d assume that windows 10 takes up 26 gigs of HD space, and windows 95 only requires a meager 1 gig.
:rolleyes:quite a difference, i must tell you

“NFS III": it seems like all the popular ones get alot of mods. but it happened to me once where there were so many formats of mods, that certain mods only worked for certain kinds of computer systems.

CIVILIZATION OF MAN

Caps are Capacitors.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Caps are Capacitors.
Took an old Socket 754 board out of my storage a few weeks ago, intending to do something with it. All the main caps were bulging or leaking, and it had never been used. Well I did something with it alright, I tossed it. hehe

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Just installed Windows 95 many times
goes to splash screen then goes to error
new computer
1) windows protection error or
2) insufficient memory
If you want a legit (unmodified) copy of 98SE shoot me a PM. 98SE should support anything that 95 did plus has improved support and refinements. Gotta limit RAM to not more than 768MB (maybe even 512MB), though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Took an old Socket 754 board out of my storage a few weeks ago, intending to do something with it. All the main caps were bulging or leaking, and it had never been used. Well I did something with it alright, I tossed it. hehe
@kwalkingcraze , did you read that? Not even 20-year-old mobo, NEVER USED, has failed, and needs a re-capping procedure.

Granted, that may have been mfg'ed around the time of the "capacitor plague", and probably used electrolytics, and not solid caps. So possibly, modern boards can last much, much, longer in storage. The only question is, how long? 20 year? 30 years? 40 years? Longer?

kwalkingcraze

Jan 2, 2017
@kwalkingcraze , did you read that? Not even 20-year-old mobo, NEVER USED, has failed, and needs a re-capping procedure.
These caps are NOT surface-mount, but the older-type caps that were found in old electronics before. Capacitors have up to 50 year shelf-life, actually, if stored properly, but the old board it was stored might have been temperature-affected, or it was stored poorly with too much humidity, sun, heat, cold, and etc. I'm not worrying about me at all.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Board was stored since purchase in my home closet. They were cheapo electrolytics that were probably known for going bad during the bad cap plague era, can't remember the brand., though.

Last edited: