Trying to install Windows 7 Pro

jyates

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
I've got a toshiba laptop about 15 months old which came with windows 10 installed on it.
I really prefer Windows 7 pro and I bought an OEM CD with key to install on it.
I erased the hard drive and booted it from an external cdrom and it starts loading windows files and when it comes up to "starting windows" and the 4 little colors icons come up it hangs up.
I waited a good long while and it never resumed.

I'm not sure if there is an issue with trying to install 7 on a newer laptop or if I have done something wrong or out of order.

Any ideas on where I have went wrong?

Thanks,
Jim

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Could be bios settings blocking the install, could be a chipset that won't work with anything below 8 (At least not by default). What model is it?

Reactions: jyates

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
TOSHIBA (TSB2C03F80002R01)
- Necessary changes in the UEFI Firmware (BIOS) for a successful downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/tsb2c03f80002r01.htm

Let us know if that works for WIN 10, but note that you are to make the BIOS setting changes before attempting the OS install. (The Toshiba TSB is a bit confusing about that, but only if you dont read carefully.)

What I would do is make the BIOS setting changes in accordance with the TSB, wipe the HDD then attempt the Win 7 install.

Last edited:
Reactions: jyates

jyates

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Could be bios settings blocking the install, could be a chipset that won't work with anything below 8 (At least not by default). What model is it?

It's a Toshiba P55w-c5200x I changed the bios settings per the toshiba link that C1 referenced above and it appears to be installing now just fine. Crossing my fingers that I can load drivers for the internal devices with win 7 and everything will work!

jyates

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
TOSHIBA (TSB2C03F80002R01)
- Necessary changes in the UEFI Firmware (BIOS) for a successful downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/tsb2c03f80002r01.htm

Let us know if that works for WIN 10, but note that you are to make the BIOS setting changes before attempting the OS install. (The Toshiba TSB is a bit confusing about that, but only if you dont read carefully.)

What I would do is make the BIOS setting changes in accordance with the TSB, wipe the HDD then attempt the Win 7 install.

You are a life saver! I did as Toshiba said in that link to change some bios settings and it windows 7 appears to be loading now. I only hope I can get drivers to make the installed hardware on the laptop to work correctly!

RolandJS

Mar 10, 2017
You are aware that once that specific OEM Windows 7 Pro is installed, it is "married" to that computer for life :)

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
You are aware that once that specific OEM Windows 7 Pro is installed, it is "married" to that computer for life :)

This is another post were people thinking you can only use OEM on one pc for life but its allowed to be done if the original motherboard has a failure.

RolandJS

Mar 10, 2017
This is another post were people thinking you can only use OEM on one pc for life but its allowed to be done if the original motherboard has a failure.
Techmanc, you're right as rain, my friend! I was distracted by outside noises and forgot to say what you're saying: if motherboard failure, of course the license can be updated! :)